1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can someone explain why...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SC Gamecock, Mar 19, 2018.

1. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    we didn’t make a Mathieu signing happen. Reading what he said about money not being a big factor, and how he wanted to play for a contender where the football culture is big....and then seeing him sign with frickin Houston for a doable number???

it just doesn’t make sense that we didn’t shift some money around and make it happen. Clearly they’re in “WIN NOW” mode again with Ben’s age, and there was plenty more they could’ve done with restructures. Just seems like they missed a golden opportunity.

Sorry if this has already been talked about at length...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Lack of cap funds, Offensive win now mentality, possibly didn't fit into the scheme, off injured.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Bell has us hamstrung

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    It's up to a free agent player as to where he wants to play, so he felt the texans defense was better suited for him to have a pro bowl year so he can be a sought after FA commanding a big money long term contract next year, he didnt want to play for a new HC and DC in AZ so he left to play for crennell who he likes, as well, he knew the steelers wasnt going to have the cap space next year to offer him a long term contract so he likes where he went since he thinks it's a better fit for his future plans...

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I believe he is from that area. He went home to play for a year.:cool:

6. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I read somewhere we are projected to have like 50 million in cap space next year. That can’t be right can it?

7. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    No way in hell will we have 50M in cap space in 19, ABs cap hit alone jumps from 7.9M this year to 22M next year and who knows how much money they are going to shovel up bells ass along with all the other player contracts they have to get signed next year....

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    in terms of cap space we are kinda screwed lol

9. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe he has more respect for their Defensive Coach.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I can only guess his injury history scared them away because the number seemed like something they could make work.

Have to remember, Steelers are snake bit with injuries in their FA signings. Maybe they didnt want to risk 7 million on a guy with a history.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    No money
    Injury prone
    Questionable personal history

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    He started and played in all 16 games last year, so that cancels injury prone:

He never got into trouble one time during his 5 years in arizona, so that cancels questionable personal history:

Money wasnt an issue they could scrape together 7M to get a talented pro bowl safety if they tried, maybe they tried to get him to come here and he called his old coach Arians and he told him to avoid the steelers like the plague.....

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe MT and Colbert just love Mike Mitchell and Wilcox and want them back.:shrug::smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    We had about $6.5 million in cap room and we need $6m to sign our draft picks, so, not enough to sign any big name free agents unless we start cutting other players. Restructuring contracts just moves money down the road so you clear some space now but have less cap space in the future.

We could have signed Mathieu if we cut:

WR Heyward-Bey $1.5m

DT Alualu saves $3m

S JJ Wilcox saves $3m

I think they didn't do it because they want Mitchell back at a very cheap price after he goes through free agency and does not get any interest. He'll probably get about $1m.

15. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Just looked at over the cap and they have us projected to have 51.3 million in cap space in 2019.

16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Cardinals are Steelers West. If we really wanted him, we'd have him. Cards could have traded him to us. We hear he's coming to Pittsburgh Thursday then nothing. I think that was floated just to please fans. They never really wanted him.

17. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    The cupboard is bare ... no money.

18. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    The 2019 Over The Cap salary cap listing only lists 25 players. It doesn't have RB Bell or ILB Shazier or LG Foster or QB Landry Jones or any WR's other than Brown and Smith-Schuster and it doesn't have any of our draft picks we will draft this year.

RB Bell will be $15m.

The six draft picks will be $6m.

OG Foster is $2m.

QB Landry Jones will be $1m.

A full season roster is 53 players and there are only 25 players listed on the OverTheCap website for 2019. Then add in Bell, the six draft picks this year, then Foster, and Jones, so that is nine more players. Then there will be another 19 players with cap hits in 2019. So, we're not going to have $51m.

If we let Bell go and Shazier comes off the cap then we should have about $23m in cap room.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  19. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I don’t think Foster or Jones will be back next year.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Heard he was coming to Pittsburgh by whom? Fans on a messageboard?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Why wouldn't Foster be back? He's 32 years old and only gets $2.6m. He should be good for another year or two.

QB Jones, I don't know how much longer he has with the team. I think he's a better backup than Dobbs but I think the team is going to try and develop Dobbs, like forcing a square pegg through a round hole with a sledgehammer.

Anyway, neither of them are big time cap hits that RB Bell and ILB Shazier are.

22. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I think they are going to go with Finney and another young guy. I like Foster but he looked to be slowing down last year and that’s not going to get any better v

23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Bouchette had a number like that in an article or blog. But he put the caveat on it that it only included the players that they had under contract for 2019. So... If they have only 35 players under contract next yr (or whatever The number is), they ought to be waaaay under the cap. However, they'll have to use that money to fill the rest of the roster.

So it's a meaningless number.,really.

24. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    People on Twitter reported he was visiting Pittsburgh Thursday then nothing. He was even tweeting with some of the players.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He wasn't visiting Pittsburgh, fans make up crap all the time. I think Tomlin and Colbert were out of town at a pro day.