1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Heath Miller break a tackle?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Avoid Lloyd, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Avoid Lloyd

Avoid Lloyd Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Don't get me wrong here, Heath is a great TE...but... Has anyone else ever noticed that Heath is almost always brought down by the defender making initial contact? :hmmm:

I don't think I can recall ever watching him run someone over or throw a stiff arm to gain a bunch of extra yards. If there's a defender in the area, Heath will tend to run straight towards the guy, put his head down, and the guy will tackle him low causing Heath to uneventfully fall forward every time.

2. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Hard to break tackles when the defender goes low. Miller may be the most complete TE in the league, but he's not that quick to pull off a RB-like cut. For every low hit that brings him down, I see him dragging 2-3 defenders an extra few yards.

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    you make a good point but I still love Heath

4. pepe95

pepe95 Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Funny we lose a game and now all our players don't do this or that,,come on guys we better than this,, on to the next game
    Here we go STEELERS here we go!!!!!!
    Win or lose STEELERS fan for life,,never hurt the injured ,just pick him up and continue forward

5. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The real question instead of Heath is can Mendy break a tackle? Dude is always brought down easily.

6. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. It's insane isn't it. Miller has a couple of the best plays in the game and what happens ? We get a post on how he can't seem to break tackles. Totally ubelievable on here since the 49er loss :banghead:

7. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I agree, he won't make many DBs miss, but he isn't afraid to take a couple along for the ride. I'll agree with Avoid Lloyd that I have seen Miller get hit around the knees and go straight down quite a few times also. But Heath is not anywhere near my "players to complain about list".

8. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Why are you assuming this post is being made because we lost? This is a message board and the purpose is to discuss players and games and all thing Steelers.....

If we had won and this post was made, you would say nothing.... :roll:

Having said that, I think the answer is, yes, Heath can break a tackle. He had a monster game against the Patriots and broke many tackles.

:beard:

9. 43FOLyfe!

43FOLyfe! Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    This

10. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Exactly.

11. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Is it opposite day? Heath is fantastic after the catch. If he doesn't break a tackle, he gets the absolute highest amount of yardage possible by either dragging guys or falling exactly where he needs to, not to mention running to the right spot, which is an overlooked skill. Guys dive at his knees, what do you want him to do? I guess he could try some hurdle moves, but not everyone has that in their repertoire.

He breaks tackles all the time. Without even going to my DVR, I can think of several great runs off the top of my head that he had against the Patriots, an outstanding one against the Titans where he floored their MLB, and another good one against the Bengals where Howard nailed him with all his momentum and might a yard short of the first, and Heath absorbed it, and powered for 2 more yards to get it on third down. He does it on a regular basis. Next up, Can Mike Wallace outrun anybody?

12. C ZACK

C ZACK Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

:lolol:

Yeah I could see someone questioning Wallace's speed.

13. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Mendy broke some tackles against SF. What? He's been breaking tackles and hitting holes hard for the past several games.

The real question is: will the O-Line give him a chance to break tackles. Kinda hard when you're trying to break defenders' tackles while simultaneously trying to avoid your own O-Line falling on you/in front of you.

Is anyone talking about the fact that Redman hasn't been busting through for chunks of yardage when he gets the call?

Hold on... This deserves a thread...

14. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    Heath is the man. I have NO complaints. I give him the fumble and the interceptions he was involved in. He gets a mulligan. If Ben's getting mulligans, then EVERYONE gets mulligans.

Heath performs consistently. He is NOT in question.

15. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Heaths has had a couple of fumbles lately, instead of using the stiff arm, I think he's using that arm to help protect the ball. Protect the ball instead of trying to stretch out for 2 or 3 more yards.

16. 7+83=7

7+83=7 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We have a new winner....stupidest post of the year. Miller blows over DE's...let alone db's..completely disagree

17. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    And he always seems to fall for the 1st down. He is always in the right spot on the field.

18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Other than the fumbles, Miller is doing exactly what he should be doing. I actually feel bad for him, he has great hands and can catch anything, but our pathetic offense doesn't use him often. He could have great numbers on most other teams in the league.

That's the ironic part of it too, we are supposed to be this high powered passing team, yet we don't throw the ball to our TE or our RB's, and our QB rarely has great numbers. I'm just curious when the high powered part of this passing team will start?

19. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    When Ben learns to read defenses better so it's easier for him to hit his receivers as they come out of their cut. When he stops making his receivers run all over the place after their initial route to get open in his signature "extend the play" offense. I think the stat mentioned on MNF was 46% of passes completed are when receivers break their route into a secondary "extend the play" route. I'm guessing Miller doesn't work as well running around like that whereas Wallace and Brown are game to do so.

20. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Can we use Saunders in the passing department? He was a stand-out at South Carolina. Oh that's right we have Johnson.....

21. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Johnson is too busy not freeing up room for Mendy, so he can't catch passes.

22. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

:cry: