1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Ben take advantage?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, May 3, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe last year was a blessing in disguise. The wr group got some needed playing time. Ben now has a group that he hasn't played with very much. We have given him new toys. Washington has little time with ben, DJ has little time with ben, Ebron has no time with ben, Claypool has no time with ben, Cain has no time with ben, Snell has little time with ben, McFarland has no time with ben, Watt has no time with ben. That is a lot to bring together in a possibly screwed up preseason. We have given him a better defense. Can it all come together this year? It's going to take a lot of work on Ben's part. Is he willing to put that kind of time in? :cool:

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    IDK

When he has had the parts, time and practice he was still slow at getting his act together. I’m seeing the beginning of the season looking like a Chinese fire drill. Kind of like every season. Just longer.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It's all good. We killed the draft. Best ever. Super Bowl bound baby!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I expect this season to start like our first game last year. Not going into a discussion on game preparation or season prep or anything that has been beaten to death time and time again with this team on here. So, I expect the same until it isn't. Question for me is how long will it last and of course, the injury factors. To your question specifically, I would certainly expect Ben to prepare in a way that doesn't cause an injury relapse but to be much more active in acclimatizing with his teammates than in the past. There is something though, something that is still hanging over this team that seems to prevent it from getting to where it wants to go. Its like the team, whomever is on it, gets on an elevator to get to the top of a 17th story building but the elevator won't go above the 9th floor. Can't explain it but this analogy is the only thing I can think or that fits how I feel. But actually, I am optimistic that Ben will come back and make things happen. The elevator issue, not so sure that gets fixed.

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

The steelers will stubbornly and pridefully stick with their washed-up quarterback BR, partly because they're still not ready to let go of a franchise legend who is obviously popular with the fanbase, and partly because they'd be too embarrassed to admit that 2019 contract extension was an error.

And that's a shame.

Bleacher report:

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. EnglishSteeler

EnglishSteeler Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    The impact on preseason could go inin o favour as maybe every other quarterback will be as under-prepared as Ben usually is for game 1

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    My 2 cents worth, we will start out slow and unprepared as usually maybe even worse then the past due to Ben's lack of playing time last year and no time with some of his new toys. However like usually it will up to Ben to come together and carry us for us to be successful and get to the playoffs.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Whole league is in that boat though. Ben will have to lean on JuJu, Vance and Conner in the beginning.

And his secret weapon, SWITZER!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben will like his new toys. Let's hope his elbow does too, Ebron or Claypool will be deep.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Ben is still a huge question mark for me this season. I think we have all fallen into the thinking that 2018 Ben is going to be back to start the 2020 season. No one knows if that is the case until we see him play. Will Ben hold up for the whole year? Will his arm strength or accuracy be affected by the surgery? Will an offensive line that's full of question marks keep Ben upright?

11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Funny how everyone seems to forget the 2019 version of Ben. QB rating of 66

He looked old in preseason and just plain bad in the regular season before his injury. Ben still needs to prove that he is not the same QB we saw last year before his injury.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Isn't that QB Rating pretty much his average rating for the first few games every season?

13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This is like saying that Brooks Koepka sucks because he made two bogeys in a row.

I'd rather look at his accomplishments for all of 2018, and his last several years, as opposed to a game and a half with a bum elbow in 2019.

14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Speaking of Brooks K., I appreciate his greatness but just something about his attitude on the course makes me root against him.

15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm with you, HUGE question mark. IMO I think he took to much of a beating over his career and will be no where near the guy we knew. I was one of the few that hoped the Steelers would be looking for a QB in the draft. Not sold on Mason. Never know though, he could be a pleasant surprise.

One thing for sure, I hope like hell we get an NFL season. I want to see huge tailgating parties and a packed Heinz Field!!!!!!!! I fear the media won't let this go and the life we know is gone for good but that's a story for another time.