1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Baron Batch be another Ray Rice or MJD?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mrn6, Dec 25, 2011.

1. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I have read nothing but good things about this kid. I know he is on IR this year, and I am wishing him a speedy recovery. I hope he comes back strong and makes the team.

Can he be another Ray Rice of MJD for us? That would be great.

The question then becomes what do you do with Mendenhall, Redman, Moore, Clay and Dwyer. That is way too many running backs.

I say we keep Mendenhall, Redman, and Batch....part of me is okay with letting Mendenhall go

please dicuss..

2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Well that would be great. He's got to get on the field first, so I'll withhold my judgment until then. I'm afraid BA wouldn't use him correctly anyways.

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    batch will replace moore , than if is a demon like was in the preseason he will replace mendy.

4. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He said he will be ready to come back next season. I follow him on Twitter and he post about his rehab when he has any updates. The last was that he has been cutting for about 3 weeks and is almost back to full speed. Can't wait to see him on the field next year!!

5. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    anyone got the link to his blog?

i lost it :(

6. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Q shouldnt be can he be Rice or MJD the Q should be can he even make the freaking team 1st! lmao

7. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
  8. cory_86

Oct 23, 2011
  9. hi0

hi0 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Our situation at RB is really good. We have at least five backs that have talent or potential. Clay has looked pretty decent, Dwyer has unlimited potential as far as I see it, and Batch played really good in college, so I'm pretty optimistic about that position. We seem to have a wealth of talent in a few positions and don't spread it out. :/ I wish we had this sort of depth at CB or on the O-Line.

10. SteelerSteve

SteelerSteve Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    The team had big plans for him this season and he was one the stars of camp before that freak injury. This kid has the ultimate attitude, character, and work ethic to get the most out his career. Will he be Ray Rice like, maybe. I just have a great feeling about this guy being an added dimension to our offense next year! In regards to Mendenhall, I love the guy and hope he stays but, I have to admit that while watching the Bears/Packers tonight the thought crossed my mind, what is we could work out a trade with Chicago, Mendenhall for Forte? I would do it in a heartbeat!

11. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I'd do it for a pick or to move up.

As has been said, we have lots of talent at the RB position. BUT we don't utilize the RBs enough (or properly according to some). And Mendy is going to want a big payday soon.

I have nothing against Mendy. I just think resources would be better spent <cough> o-line <cough> getting younger on D <cough>

12. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Boy do I hope we don't bother drafting a RB this year. Mendenhall, Redman, Dwyer -- all keepers with starting-level talent. Gotta keep those guys, and then probably Batch will have to replace Moore. No room for Clay, despite the fact that he is on pace to score 2,000 TDs in his career if he ever gets a starting role. Drop David Johnson and get a fullback and go with 5 active RBs and two TEs.

Moore still does what he does as well as he ever has, and that's valuable. He's also looked good on ST coverage this year. I've seen him knocking out people on a couple of occasions.

Batch sounds to me like a Moore type back that is a little stronger and more fierce when it comes to running the ball. Batch has the makings of a stud special teamer. I think he could be a Rice type guy. I'd love to get him involved in the passing game.

Then again, I'd like that for the RBs we already have...

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Have not seen him in game situation, so the jury is still out on him
    untill we see him a regular season game. He gets high praise from everybody that
    seen him at camp.

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He's still going to be a rookie game wise. Moore is the 3rd down back because of his pick-ups. There's no way they let this kid pull that duty on a real gameday with no experience.

15. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The fact is that Mendy could be as effective as Rice if BA and Ben chose to use him in a similar way. We saw flashes of that this past week with Charlie Batch in there. If the offense actually "looked" to get him the ball in space he could be great. I also see nothing that Forte does that Mendy cannot do. I think Mendy has overall better skills than Forte, just not used under BA and Ben.

This question is not about personnel, but about scheme.

16. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I doubt it those are pretty big shoes

17. 6stinkyfingers

6stinkyfingers Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Would love to see Mendy off tbis team. He reminds me of the later years of Franco-too much dancing at the hole, plus I think he lacks vision and his ball security sucks. I think he'd be better suited in a west coast offense. Trade him for picks??

18. cory_86

Oct 23, 2011
    until when is his current contract?

19. 6stinkyfingers

6stinkyfingers Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2011
    I have no idea

20. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    They say he's a bruising back with speed whose short and powerful like Ray Rice? We shall see
    next training camp. GO STEELERS!! :herewego:

21. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    First of all, Moore wouldn't even be on the team if Batch didn't get hurt. Batch was Moore's replacement so bye bye Moore next season. As far as Dwyer is concerned, he is done. He won't be on the team next year. Clay will be on the roster for training camp however, he will have to have and otstanding camp to make the team.

As far as Mendenhall is concerned, it is my opinion that the Steelers need to let him go in free agency and fine someone else to work with Redman. Redman is the best back on the team to me. What the Steelers need to do is to do their homework and fine a great back who can work with Redman in a two back system. This is why the Steelers need to also get rid of Bruce Arians and fine someone who wants to get back to running the football.

I agree with HugeSnack on dropping David Johnson and getting a fullback and go with 5 active RBs and two TEs. This is a big one. Its time for a change now!! Get a true fullback who can block.

I also agree with RobVos on the question is not about personnel, but about scheme. This is all Bruce Arians because he doesn’t use the RB correctly in the running game or passing game. When does he ever use the RB’s on screen plays and dump offs like the Ravens use Ray Rice?