1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone explain the latest Patriots cheating episode vs the Browns?

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Stone, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    In the Cleveland area it is all over the radio talk shows about Brady hand signaling the clock operator and the play clock magically goes from 13 seconds to 25 seconds. Naturally, this is why the Browns lost;)

I have seen a dozen videos like this where Brady turns around, pumps his hand in the air, and the play clock magically increases.

Is this normal?

Is this video editing?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    he's the magic man

3. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The ball wasn't set down when the Patriots get up to the line of scrimmage. The officials then come in and place the ball. I think Brady then turns to the ref to signal that the play clock should be reset to 25 sec. The ref is off screen but I'd be surprised if he didn't already have one hand up about to signal to the clock operator to start the 25 sec clock.

Basically, Brady is signalling the ref, not the play clock operator that "Hey, you guys didn't put the ball down on time and therefore the play clock should be reset." And he's correct. When the play clock runs down below 25 seconds and the ball is not ready for play due to no fault of the offensive team it's deemed an "administrative stoppage" and the play clock should be reset to 25 seconds.

In short, no cheating.

• Informative Informative x 1