1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can any WR get open?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DDinAZsteel1, Oct 12, 2017.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Speed was needed on that play. And yes single high is probably the easiest position to play. Play center field and keep big plays from turning into TD'S . DHB has the speed to cover the back half of the field.

When you go single high that is all that is expected from the position. If you would like to state a case of how DHB could not protect the back half then have at it . I doubt you can make any valid points in that regard.

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    then we should go 4 wide lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    lol, probably so....

I really thought Bryant was going to be a terror to defenses this year, but so far he has yet to break out other than that one TD. Couple poorly thrown balls didn't help.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Once again you're delusional.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Still lol

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Valid points:
    No coach has played him at that position.
    Because you said it it's wrong.

By your logic we should play Bryant at safety or why didn't we convert Fast Willie Parker?

Debating you is so easy.

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Parker can't cover the distance that DHB can . Plus DHB is a standout on coverage units. DHB can tackle in the open field FWP could not . DHB has height and jumping ability to combat long throws . FWP did not .

No delusion that DHB has deep Safety skills.

8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

No he is straight up high. he believes Ben is suppose to hit them in the chest everytime and WRs never have to jump or fight for the ball

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I suppose I could make a whole bunch of crap up and spew it all over the board and hope nobody is none the wiser.

But ok Ill bite. How about play recognition, whether its a pass or run or perhaps the most important aspect, being able to flip his hips. How about the fact he probably doesnt remotely have the instincts to play a position that he never has and is now 30 years old.

But go on, keep thinking there is no difference in degree of difficulty between HS and pros.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So did I but hopefully he still can be for the second half of the season. Between him missing a year and Ben being off its been a real dud so far.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is beyond silly. If speed is all that it takes to be a great single high safety, NFL teams would be lining up at the finish line of the Olympic 100 meter dash with contracts and suitcases full of cash.

Challenging someone to make valid points in contradiction to a silly notion is... well, silly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He would be the equivalent of a rookie with 10 years of extra age. Recently I thought you had been licking to much off of the glue of the the postage stamps. A year ago I acussed you of being DHBs mom and you politely said "dad". Now I'm thinking you are just bonkers. And I know bonkers. :drinks:

13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Also, our coverages would become absurdly easy for QBs to diagnose. The offense knows that we're in man with a single high safety whenever he's in the game. Line up, put a man in motion, and now you not only know the coverage, but you know exactly who is on each receiver. You know the coverage, and know who's potentially coming on pressure.

There's a lot of potential "alsos" on this subject, but i'm too tired to keep going right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Lots of flaws and if im not mistaken, hes talking about cover 1, which requires more responsibilities than hes leading on or teams would do exactly as you explained. :rolleyes:

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    so just to recap....no DHB at safety then?? cuz I was really looking forward to a change. Saw this dude playing frisbee golf who just killed it with change of direction.....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Speaking of Safeties, anyone see that Justin Simmons interception to seal the game for the Broncos vs the Raiders. Oh yea, this is the same player who forced out TJ Ward in year 2. I wonder who wanted that type of safety for our beloved Steelers?? HHHmmmmm.........

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Should have never not had a helmet, Look for small ball (short passing until #7
    gets his head out of his ass and his OL can sustain blocks, because he can't avoid
    any pass rush).

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They have him in Ayers.

19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I wanted him too turtle. Damn

20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Don't make things so complicated! There's a simple checklist.
    1. Can you run really fast in a straight line? Check
    2. Can you tackle punt and KO returners on speacial teams? Check
    3. Can you drop passes that hit your hands? Check
    4. Can you block for your teammates who do not drop passes that hit their hands? Check

Single high safety! Welcome aboard!

• Like Like x 1
  21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    IMO Ayers is not the slot receiver Eli is. And besides, didn't the Pats release him from their PS?

22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This thread title needs to be changed to Safety Change, in which I would vote for Mitchell being benched in favor of JJ Wilcox...

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Browns played Ben with a single high guy almost the entire game, Ben really shredded it didn't he ? If we had guys who could play Safety at a higher level then no need to think outside the box. Mike and Davis have both missed multiple open field tackles every game. Both of them have been outrun for big plays .

You guys keep saying how hard it is to switch positions and keep missing the point. DHB already plays against pros . He goes against the best open field runner each and every week. He gets double Teamed by blockers that are the best those NFL teams have to offer as well ..DHB could play the single high look better than any other guy on our roster .

We should use single high against certain looks .A D can actually be less predictable as you have extra guys upfront to run man or man/zone with .

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You forgot height/weight proportion! They should just freeze him and use his DNA to clone perfect single high safties.

• Like Like x 1