1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cam Heyward not sure if he plays in 2020 or not:

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Diamond, Jul 1, 2020.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You’re concerned about having snot on your face that nobody can see? Talk about first world problems.
    They asked us to refrain from buying the n95 masks because there was a shortage. So they were trying to make sure that healthcare professionals and first responders were protected. They asked us to stay the **** home, social distance, and wear a ****ing mask when we had to go out. Sadly that’s too much of a burden on a portion of society.

no shoes no shirts no service- no problem
    Wear your seatbelts to save lives- no problem
    Blah blah blah

but heaven forbid you’re asked to wear a mask during a pandemic. Mah freeeedoms you’re taking away my freeeeeedoma

**** off karen and Kevin

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You're not wrong about the mixed messaging. The CDC guidance is pretty sensible, and if followed by everyone would likely bring our spread way, way down:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html

3. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    How about pulling your mask down a bit, it's covering your eyes. Or maybe pull it out of your ass long enough to think. It's cutting off airflow to your brain.

I said I don't have a problem wearing a mask. Get off your high horse. You're not even close to the voice of moral authority, so don't kid yourself. Good grief.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    100% sensible. Couldn't agree more. I work for an essential business. We are one of the largest volume ag-supply businesses on the east coast. Our walk-in traffic is constant from open to close. We have signs in the parking lot, entry doors, and all throughout the showroom, sales offices, and service department. We have kiosks in strategic locations that used to be interactive touch screens, but now loop nothing but CDC-approved messaging about preventing the spread of viruses. We have mask stations, hand sanitizing stations, and directional paths for managing traffic in and out of the building. And that is just a portion of our efforts to protect our customers and ourselves. We take this seriously. But we're not doing enough. We can't. Because we don't really know what we're doing. No one does.

If you ask 100 people what they've heard about prevention and what they believe about it as a result, you will get a multitude of different answers. Sensible guidance isn't enough, for our health or from those who should really be in the know.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Even less guidance is being given to schools, yet some knucklehead wants to just send kids back in the fall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    School starts in about 4 weeks here...tough choice for parents.

7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

They more or less risk their lives and definitely their livelihood every time they walk onto the field. Vaccines won't be any better than the ones they have now for flu shots imho. The efficacy is questionable.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yes.

However, these circumstances are different. Injuries are not the only aspects to watch out for now. A disease that has no cure and has proven to be a killer magnifies the risk.

For that matter, injuries within American Gridiron Football are not a risk. That comes with the profession. A rapidly spreading, seemingly unstoppable disease is not within the job description. That is, by all accounts, a risk.

Cameron Heyward is playing it right in my opinion. No way is a sport worth dying for if one gets infected. Others have felt the same. Until a cure is found, more players will commit to not playing like Cam.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    More will follow I bet, especially players on the line.

Cam may actually sit out after all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought his choice had more to do with helping on the front lines than fear of the pandemic? Is that not the case?

Edit: article I read said he was helping as an orderly at a hospital. If that's the case he is a heck of an individual and i salute his choice.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He said he can’t allow himself to possibly transmit the virus to others simply to play a sport. I’m sure it’s a little bit of both though, wants to help out, too.

12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Covid can hit someone hard. Even a healthy 8 yr old boy that is struggling for his life here in Florida. The uncertainty about the virus that our medical gurus are experiencing is telling with his story.

Hospitalized with a fever, tested negative, sent home. Mom knew something was still wrong because he developed another fever of 105 & took him to another hospital. Kid tested positive this time & not sure to make it.
    This Chief gets it. I'm thankful he is in a position to make the choice he did.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Was reading about a family and the parents lost their 20 and 23 year old children.

While the elderly and immune compromised are the highest number of losses, it hits all ages and still a lot to learn about this virus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    "More will follow I bet," ???

Do you really think there are more Doctors playing in the NFL that may return to their practices?

He is not sitting out for fear of his health or his families; he is going to the front lines to help people!

Kansas City Chiefs Star, Who Is Also Practicing Doctor, Becomes First NFL Player to Skip 2020 Season

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Did those children have other conditions too? Just wondering because any age with underlying conditions seems to be the major factor. :cool:

16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Interesting. I have no idea how this will work. One thing for sure sports as we knew it will not be the same. How many key players will stop playing at some point during season???? Just can't see this ever ending. A cure could never happen and I don't see how the virus will just one day give us a call and say, "I'm out of here."

I saw where the NY Mets put cardboard cutouts of humans in all their box seats. IMO it look so stupid but maybe it gave the players a feeling of normalcy.

17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Have you seen the stuffed toys paying for seats in Asia steel machine?

Florida may not be the best place to hold your leagues season. :confused1:

18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The deal reached by the NFL and the NFLPA works well for the league. Players can opt out and receive a $150k advance against their 2021 salary ($350k stipend for those with high risk health conditions). Most importantly their contracts toll, so a guy entering into his final year can’t opt out and be a free agent next year. The opt out is irrevocable once exercised.

I respect every players’ right to opt out of football this season. It’s a personal decision. However, I also think it’s fair that they won’t be paid for sitting out (other than the high risk guys getting a stipend).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I keep hearing younger people with no underlying conditions dying yet other articles are saying it’s extremely rare and not likely to happen. Then CDC wants schools to open because young ones should be fine.

So which is it?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    By all statistical accounts it’s rare for young adults to be severely affected (or die), but it happens often enough to be a legitimate risk for them vs. not being infected.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

The cdc does not just want schools to open. The president wants schools to open because he thinks it will help in his bid for re-election. You can actually read the 69 page guideline by the cdc the whitehouse crapped all over.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Depends on who you are voting for n November and which "news" you listen to.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think its fair to say that the WHO and CDC reputation and credibility is in the tank at this point. Its ok to riot together but not worship. OK, got it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    only if you’re a dumbass

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Could be a nefarious plan like giving blankets to the Indians.