1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cam Heyward not sure if he plays in 2020 or not:

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Diamond, Jul 1, 2020.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm beginning to think all.pro athletes need to not be on Twitter. Devin Bush apparently is triggered today by the 35% of salaries in escrow that the leagud wants to do and by fans saying playerx should be happy to have a job.

2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Thank God for all the internet doctors on here. :goofy:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Cam may not have to worry about playing this season. It appears the season will be cancelled if COVID19 continues on it's current trend. Unfortunately, many Americans still don't take COVID19 seriously.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This.

I don’t know why someone would get mad at another person for wanting to be cautious and do what’s best for himself and his family anyway.

5. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Does this surprise you? I mean how long did it take to get a culture shift for AIDs? You basically were telling people that you could die a horrible debilitating death that will rob you not only of your health and life but also every dime you ever made to pay for treatments or you can pay 75 cents for a condom and practice safe sex and you know not die. Took 15-20 years for that to sink in and we are just about back to square one on that as well. Sometimes people are really really stupid.

I once worked with an older gentleman who had a pace maker, had open heart surgery x2 and then was diagnosed with a treatable cancer. The doctor to him he had to quit chain smoking, drinking black coffee all day and eating bologna sandwiches for two meals a day. He told the doctor he wasn't going to change his lifestyle. I asked him why bother with all the surgery and treatment then and I quote here " cause I ain't ready for the dirt nap yet!"

Could fooled me, and his doctor i suppose. You just can't fix stupid.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Have a friend, had breast cancer, double mastectomy, diagnosis wasn’t good for survival. Did months of chemo and she miraculously survived and still smokes like a fiend.

Some peoples minds just can’t be changed and going to do what they want to do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    If he sits out, He sure as Hell should not be paid.. I'm an essential worker and if I chose to SIT OUT when this all started...Not only would I not be paid, I would be fired!

" People " who tighten up their bootstraps and go to work EVERY day, and listen to these millionaire Athletes whine about everything...I can see Sports taking a real dive in ratings

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think we can figure out why people would get angry. They want him to play. On some level, some fans feel like the players they root for owe them something.

I remember the disappointment I felt when Heath Miller retired, mostly because it seemed to come out of nowhere and he was still a very good player. Once I thought about it for a moment, I realized it wouldn't be fair to be angry at him.

I certainly would be disappointed if Heyward chose to sit out this season or if he chose to retire, but if I try to look at it from his perspective, I couldn't be angry with him.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, smoking is a chemical addition. It is significantly more difficult to stop smoking than it is to put on a mask and take COVID seriously.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Society is taking a dive if you think about it. Everyone feels entitled anymore & earning things was for us old-timers...ME, ME, what about Me? :facepalm:

11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I am shocked that AIDS is still killing so many in Africa. Sad that the men folk are bringing it home and giving it to the women.

12. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    This thread is heading toward the Corona virus Heinz field thread which finally got closed.

I'm doubtful of a season but hope I'm wrong so soon there will be STEELER football threads dominating the board.:applaud::applaud::applaud:

Not sure how the NFL is approaching this season but if it is starting in Sept. I guess players will be getting back to it soon.

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I remember a Steeler (name??) who couldn't play a big game for us in Denver because of the high altitude. He had some ailment and I can't remember his damn name but I think a lot of us were worried about the game since he could not play.

15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Ryan Clark he had sickle cell anemia and couldn't play at Denver.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. He had to sit out two or three times for games in Denver.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This is true but it’s just her attitude, she’s lived a very fast life, original party girl.

She enjoys it therefore she is going to keep doing it. She never attempted to quit.

18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Yup. If I remember correctly he played there once and almost killed him

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    What is it about the anemia that creates a risk? if you know, I don't.

Edit: looked it up Scribe, probably because of low oxygen content in the bloodstream.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I read about it at the time, but I didn't remember why that meant he had to sit out.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I hear you.

My father was kind of in the middle. There were times he actually tried to quit, but most of the time he as defiant and insisted he wanted to do it and no one should tell him otherwise. It always surprised me because he lost his mother, a smoker, to lung cancer when he was only 13. She was 38. He had a very real fear of sharing her fate, but it was never enough to get him to commit to quitting. He died from lung cancer at 53.

I think we all have a little of that in us, at least the potential to make unhealthy choices. For some it is not taking COVID seriously. For others it is smoking. For me and many people not eating healthy foods and keeping our weight where it should be. Putting on a mask is just so much easier than quitting smoking or losing weight.

I absolutely get any athlete deciding to retire early or just sit out the 2020 season due to COVID. As much as some of us might envy their ability to make their living playing football or some other sport, we also have to see that they have every right to make what they think is a healthy choice.

• Like Like x 1
  22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    All the major Euro soccer leagues are running: Spain, U.K., Germany, Italy. Korean and now Japanese baseball have started. West Indes is playing cricket in England.

Sports in North America act like they're in a ballet with instant Black Death. This ain't about Covid and its risks. The risks are there in other countries too. Others seem to be able to manage those risks. We don't seem to be able to do that here, because either the owner or the players can leverage fan fear for more money or better bargaining conditions.

Athletes think they're invincible. They don't fear Covid, anymore than they do a career ending injury. It's an argument being used in a public negotiating.

23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Liability might be a big factor in their decision making, especially in America.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Agree 100%. Thats a shame about your dad, way to young. Lost mine at 65 to cancer which was tough.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Are any of those places experience outbreaks like we are here or have they all managed to flatten the curve? I know several of those places have flattened it.

This isn’t hard to understand, if the infectious rate is way down, the likelihood of catching it is minimized.