1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cam Heyward does not plan to attend OTAs as he seeks a contract extension.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 15, 2024.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Father Time is undefeated. The 3-year statement is concerning. I do think Cam can be a good player in 2024. Probably not the Cam of 2022, but close enough to still be a Pro Bowl quality D lineman. I think the odds of him being starter quality drop precipitously every year though. IMO any 3-year deal for him needs an escape hatch with minimal cap risk. Maybe roster bonuses for 2025 and 2026 that kick in at the beginning of the league year. It allows the team to assess after the 2024 season whether there’s a belief that Cam has enough left to trigger 2025, and tic so they pay the bonus and Cam gets a bonus payout. Same thing after 2025. For Cam it’s better than waiting for the season to see if he’s going to be around and get paid. For the team it allows decisions to be made early in the offseason without having to guarantee big dollars right now. I don’t think Cam has leverage to extract anything better than that at this late stage in his career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You probably aren't wrong, but he isn't without leverage. One thing he has is the big cap number for this season. The Steelers probably want to reduce that. The other is that they don't want to cut him. That defensive line looks even shakier without him, but he may also be counting on the public relations aspect of it. I hope that isn't guiding their decisions, but I can understand him thinking that Payton Man of the Year Award gives him a little protection.

3. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Stop being like Jeff Gordon and butthurt you are not smart enough to realize what he meant.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Mr. failed writer would argue with a wall just to have the last word.

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Do you envision the Steelers doing anything with the 2024 cap space that an extension would free up? The only thing I can think of is if we trade for an established veteran WR or CB, or if we extend another player’s contract (which often reduces that other player’s immediate cap hit).

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'll be happy to compare brain pans with either of you any day. That I know better than him doesn't mean I didn't understand his point, but I am happy to mock him for botching his grammar and punctuation while playing spelling police.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Probably not. Maybe they sign one of the remaining free agent corners and extend Freiermuth or one of the team's other players who will be free agents after the 2024 season, but they can probably do that with the money they freed up by restructuring Highsmith.

8. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Mash, I suggest you go back and read the back-and-forth between you and I. Sometimes words matter. I was able to point to examples (from Cam himself) to the first couple of iterations of your 'question' - while still validating your reservations in trusting he could continue to produce at 35+. You continued to add qualifiers until you hit on '32+ DL with injury-riddled year' and are now appear to be peacocking on it, which seems silly at this point.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    It's the same question and you can't answer it.

10. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    And neither can you. Go find a 32+ aged DL matching Heyward's productivity record, had a season mostly lost to injury, got healthy, played the next season and saw significant decline in production.

It's just a lazy/disingenuous argument from you at this point.

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    [​IMG]

This you :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  12. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Fred Dean great 31, 32 had injury riddled season, 33 sucked and was done.
    charles haley, great all the way up to 32 injury season, then after misses so much he should have retired when he was 32.
    deacon jones great until he was 32 and then injury riddled season. and again another player who should have retired
    jason taylor
    julius peppers at 35 injury riddled and it never stopped.
    Dwight freeny tried so hard for 5 years and only had one season that was good, however he was still injured through out it.
    John Randle
    Charles Haley
    Richard dent

and that is listing players who tried to come back. I did not list players like
    Geno Atkins
    richard seymour
    and many others
    because they knew it was a slim chance to come back to making a difference like they used to.

Michael Strahan is an in-between player for you and I. injury riddled, but did come back to go AP, but he went back and forth with good and bad season.

by the way, a player I would have been fine with you saying is warren sapp. but he had one good and then one bad and he knew has done.
    could have even said JJ watt or Reggie white.

I could keep going. but I clearly proved a point with a long list vs only 2.5 who proved me wrong. Cam has maybe a 25% he can play close to a full season next year and be close to what he was 2 years ago. and then after that, you can kiss it to being slim to none. specially with how he thinks he can do 3 years.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You lost an argument and made yourself look foolish, so your response is to attack someone's career. That's low.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Try using a verb next time. You might not sound as dumb as you are.

15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Nice list, Mash. There were honestly a few I had forgotten or was plain unaware had injuries later on.

If he stays healthy (not a given) I could see Cam being in the neighborhood of 2022, likely with less sacks - more in the 6-8 range than 10.5 - which would still be solid. (Poor value against his cap hit for sure, but that's a slightly different issue since the team end-loaded his salary before pushing more money down via restructure in 2021.) The question is whether they want to keep keep spinning the wheel past that, and how much they think its worth.

Like I said, I'm against anything multi-year unless there are serious snap and performance triggers. It's just too much risk. I understand players have limited career windows, and the heart continues to want what the body can no longer deliver. But the team is honoring the contract despite any concerns last year might have brought, and I'm sure they're smart enough to know Cam's not likely going to post a $22M valuation in 2024.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    That's where I'm at, is what's he worth.

he won't be worth the numbers and years he's trying. Could he be a freak like a couple names who go to 38? Sure. But the odds are against him once he had a season like last year.

Until he proves he's a freak, I could not offer him an extension.

17. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe the last year, but he was washed 5 years before this, Won nothing was paid mucho money for winning nothing.

20. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Read the post directly below your post I am quoting here. That is why I brought up 2018 in my earlier post. People keep saying ridiculous stuff and claiming Ben sucked long before he retired.

They don't know what they are talking about, and anyone that believes having Ben on the team held them back in any way never understood how great he really was.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is clear you don't understand much. Do better, troll.

24. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Guess they could’ve dumped him for some scrub and won less.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He was over paid for past performance. Sorta of like a golden parachute that executives get. Very nice (severance pay?)

Last edited: May 27, 2024