1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cam Heyward does not plan to attend OTAs as he seeks a contract extension.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 15, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. kicker_twentyone

kicker_twentyone Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Omg, release him already. He's 35 yo on the downside of his career and strong arming the Steelers for a new contract lmao ? He's a washed up has been of his former self ! Save 16 million. I bet after his release, he resigns for about 10 million per year. The team wants volunteers not hostages. F*ck him !!

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    How is not coming to VOLUNTARY workouts and potentially not coming to OTAs strong arming the team for a new contract? It's attitudes like this that kill any team loyalty a player might have.

4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Call me Crazy... I don't think this is a good sign for a 35 year old player who is spending more time on the talk show circuit than in the gym.

I don't remember the GOAT, Tom Brady doing the talk show circuit, or Pod Casts when he was playing.

Hell, I think even Ben was coming in for OTAs. Granted, he took the Veteran Day off thing to an Extreme, but at least it wasn't a "Scheduling Conflict" that kept him out of the practice facility.

Last edited: May 15, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Trellaine

Trellaine Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Surprising hold out at 35. Let him go. Or let him sit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    35 and wants a new deal. The issue is they haven't addressed the new elephant in the room the defensive line. Benton is a solid start and should take it up a notch this season. Ogunjobi seems to be always nursing something, Heyward coming off multiple injuries. Adams is a nice swing piece, Loudermilk is meh and Leal should not have been drafted. Now the new kid Logan Lee comes in and might spell the end for Leal. Oh and Fehoko who knows if he will make the cut.

Heyward feels he holds the cards. I would let him play it out and let the chips fall where they may. Thanks for your service.

You address the D Line high in the draft. Ogunjobi is signed through 2025.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    So?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's not a hold out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think they sign him to a 3 year deal, but it will be one where if you cut him after the first year it doesn't hurt you.

I think he only has one year left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Dont sleep on Dean Lowry. Sneaky good signing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    From a leadership perspective, you always reward loyalty. He might be at the end of his career, but I believe he can still play and contribute and should be offered a contract.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Let him finish the season/contract and be gone. Look at Cutch ...yikes

13. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think it's doubtful he can participate anyways, he's likely still recovering from surgery. Think the media and such are making a bigger deal outta this than needs to be. He's 35, he knows the defense and he's 35.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I’m not happy with Cam doing this but honestly coming off the groin surgery he probably wasn’t going to do much in workouts anyway. The point however is a bad look. You have had a long career and you have been paid handsomely for it. When is enough …. Enough? I had thought he would be more interested in extending his career to have a shot at a SB with the Steelers. I’m not saying we’re there yet but we’re slot closer than we were three years ago.

I love Cam but to extend him anything above what he is already making on a per year basis would be crazy. He shouldn’t get a lot if gaurunteed money either. We already have one really bad contract tied up in Ogunjobi we don’t need another one. Sure Cam could come back and produce 10-8 sacks a year for the next three years but I’m betting that he doesn’t and the odds are against him doing that.

I think Cam is making a big mistake by on this. Hopefully they can come to an agreement that makes sense for the team and Cam. Would love to be loyal to the guy but it just isn’t smart tiring up money long term in an aging veteran coming off an injury.

15. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Why is anybody making a big deal out of a player skipping "voluntary" workouts????
    Heyward knows the defense, and at this stage of his career, could use the extra rest.....
    Someone say something if he misses any part of training camp

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Be nice to read about Heyward working out at the practice facility rather than doing another podcast.

That said..... I wonder if he has already talked to Khan about 2024 and is not happy about the pay cut the Steelers want him to take this year.

And this is why it is a big deal... 'NEVER"
    Heyward is a long-time team captain who’s never missed an offseason program.

Last edited: May 16, 2024
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    lowry. mitchell. adams. :cool:

18. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Washed.

That being said missing OTAs for a Vet isn’t newsworthy IMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Totally forgot they signed him.

20. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I had thought at the point in Cam’s career it would be more about Super Bowl, Finishing your career out where you started, legacy and stability. I feel like he is putting himself before the team more so than I expected for a player in his situation at his age coming off injury. If Ogunjobi was worth anything and a threat to Cam the whole situation would be different. With that being said the Steelers should offer him a contract that is heavy on performance incentives and low on gauruntees at this point. If he balks at it he is being unreasonable and unrealistic and I would look to trade him. Then try to go get a younger DT in a trade. I really hate when players do this kind of stuff. I get that he wants paid but looking at the big picture the timing of this and the way he is going about it speaks selfishness. Don’t tell me you want to win at all costs then jeopardize the team building by threatening to hold out. I had read somewhere that he is the second highest paid player on the team right now and he is 35 and coming off an injury.

21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    What do you know about how much time he spends in the gym? Absolutely nothing

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Also....if He doesn't know this Defense by now....well He never will. I'll worry about Cam if He's not here during regular season....until then....I'm not even thinking about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Don't forget Dean Lowry, who is a solid piece up front.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Given all the "volunteers, not hostages" nonsense, I don't think the media is making too big a deal of this. Heyward publicly said he was not happy about people assuming he will take a pay cut. Now he is saying he will skip mandatory workouts as well as optional ones until he gets a contract. I get that Heyward has earned some slack, but the takes are interesting and contradictory to discussions of other current and former players.

I don't think the Steelers can just cut him. They need some sort of renegotiation due to avoid the big cap hit for 2024.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think this is a whole lot of nothing and media trying to drum something up.

The Steelers just said recently how Heyward will retire a Steeler. They both want to get something done. I know, what the Steelers say and do are two different things but Heyward is beloved in that organization.

There’s no reason a 35 year old coming off surgery needs to be at voluntary workouts. Sheesh.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1