1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cajun's take on our WR issues-

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Feb 27, 2012.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Ward- He may want to stay and be willing to re-do his contract but the only way he stays is if he stays for vet min. I don't see this happening so look for him to be released.

Cothery- He'll be resigned after some hard negoitations. We need a good solid vet and he fits the bill. He'll want more than we'll offer but in the end I think he stays.

Wallace-They're trying to work out a long term deal but I think it'll happen only after the draft. Wallace wants more than he's worth so the Steelers will tender him a 1st rd offer and that's it. No tag.franchise or transition or laser........ just the 1st rd tender. I also believe the Steelers are trying to talk him up hoping someone will sign him and we get their 1st rd pick but in my opinion he want get any offers. Who is gonna give up a 1st rd pick for him? Really! He was a mid rd pick 4 years ago. Last year there was around 20 WRs at the combine. This year there is 47. Forty-Seven!!!! That's very deep. There's also quite a few very solid UFA WRs out to be had. We're crazy to think Wallace is leaving this year. When he gets no offers he still might not sign a long-term deal in hopes of hitting it big next year.

Brown and Sanders-Brown will assert his dominance and become our #1 WR. Sanders will become last years Brown returning kicks and making key exciting receptions in the passing game. Next year Brown will get the 1st rd tender and most likely the Steelers WILL sign him to that big contract as he's better than Wallace. Sanders will probably play under his 1st rd tender money.If he struggles any this upcoming season he may even get a 3rd rd tender instead.

Rookies- Look for us to draft another WR rd 5. Round 3 or 4 if by some miracle some stupid team (chicago/houston) in fact takes wallace.We'll also sign a couple undrafted FA for camp competition.

Call me crazy but this is how I see things right now.

Cajun-

2. IggySteel

IggySteel Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    You're crazy.

Seriously, I don't think the Steelers want a 1st rounder for Wallace. I think they want to, and will, keep him. I also think they find a way to keep either Cotchery or Ward. My sentimental side wants it to be Ward, but my football business side says Cotchery.

3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we are doing a hard sell on Wallace....I don't think the Steelers want to break the Bank on him........I do think the Bengals will give up a 1st. round pick and they will make a high offer sheet.....

Wallace is BA'S boy he never liked Brown that much ,but Brown played so well he forced his way on the field.....Brown is the better WR and if we break the bank on Wallace we will not be able to pay Brown....

We also have to figure the new scheme and the new OC in this equation.....How much will we need Wallace?Who is the Big target?Who is the strong handed snatch the FB type of WR? Well we really don't have 1.......

Heck I could see us trading Wallace and getting a #1 pick and then trading that pick for another high 2nd. and 3rd.This would free up the money for Brown and others and we would be getting cheaper players because of the new CBA......

At which point we could get a OL,Big target WR,DL,ILB and whatever other hole we wanted to fill,,, all with guys in the 1st. Three rounds......

And yes I would spend that first pick in the 2nd. on Brian Quick and then look for ILB or DL with our #2 second rounder......

I think this would make our Team stronger now and for the future......I would cash in on the speed and build the Team....

4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    It would be nice to believe that we can keep last years receiving core intact, but the chances of that happening are not good. I don't think we franchise wallace, unless we are well on the way to negotiating a long term contract with him. It would be disasterous to franchise him this year, pay our $9.3 million of our precious salary cap, and then lose him next year for nothing. I'd say its probably a 75% chance he's with the Steelers this year. Receiver is deep in the draft. I'm hoping, at least.
    Obviously Brown and Sanders are back. At worst 1 and 2 receivers, at best 2 and 3 receivers.
    Not as hopeful as most about Cotchery. He doesn't want to be a #4 receiver, and I don't blame him. He has the ability to be #3, or #2 in some schemes. And he'll want to get paid like it. If we franchise Wallace, we can't afford him. If only tag Wallace, then its possible.
    Ward, I believe, will come back up for maybe a million, down from 4. Can he contribute where we'd like him to? I think he can contribute more offensively than he did last year, but will hurt us because we lose a special teams player with him.
    Already lost Battle, but that won't affect the offense.
    So, we have two definites on the team, three maybes, and one no out of the six receivers we used last year. Do I think we take a first round receiver if Wallace goes? Hell no, i want Poe and Hightower. Or Glenn. But I'n not impressed with the first round receivers who might fall to us as first round material.

5. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think they will extend him to a LT deal the day before the free agency period begins. Also, I was talking to a buddy of mine (not a Steelers fan) yesterday about this and I asked him what his impartial thughts were. Without hesitation he responded that we would be crazy to let Wallace go and that he is worth significantly more than just a low-level first rounder. Just an opinion from a non-biased fan but he is football knowledgeable for sure. I thought it was interesting feedback.

6. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Unfortunately I think they will lose Wallace. Even worse, I bet NE picks him up. I just don't think we can afford to keep him. What a shame.On the plus side, we can bolster our O-line with an extra 1st round pick.

Hines will be back after taking a massive pay cut, but he won't do much better than last year.

Brown will have another great year and Sanders will step up.

Cotchery will likely (75%) go to a higher bidder.

We get a TALL WR in the draft between round 4 and round 6.

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm sure Wallace is far more popular/more respected among any fan base other than the Steelers. He could score 50 touchdowns, but if he doesn't fit "the Steeler mold" we'll want him out of town.

8. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I hear what you all are saying but keep this in mind that its all about image.Man, look at how many players and coaches alike that we lost in the 90's.We were known for not paying and keeping players.Now that we have just start holding on to our own....do you really think that this organization would go into reverse mode?
    If we don't keep wallace then what kind of message will we be sending to brown,sanders?Besides,you can't split up "young money"!We will find a way to keep the receiving corp together because haley's future will be short here if we start losin players before he get a chance

9. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I would have to think that they will do whatever they can to keep Wallace, however, there is the chance that he could walk. I do believe there are a few teams that will pay for his services based on what he did the first half of the season. I'm not as afraid of where he might end up as others on here. I know people were running scared when Holmes went to the Jets. I do know that Haley seems to be fond of his taller receivers and I believe there are a few to be had in the later rounds...my 2 cents.

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As I have stated we can't put a 10 Million Dollar tag on him,it is simply to much for his performance down the stretch.....We can't sign him to a huge 60 Million Dollar deal either IMO.....So I think the only choice is to put the tender on him and wait and see what the Offer sheets look like...If he gets any?

If he does we then have a choice to make if the sheets are close to what wew wanted to pay I am sure we will match them,,if they are closer to what Wallace is looking for then we will not.....

If he gets no offer sheet then now the Team is back in control,and can probably save 15 or 20 Million dollars at that point IMO....That's a good start on Brown's deal next year,,,we can't simply throw that money at Wallace IMO....

IMO that's what Colbert was saying ,,that we hold the cards ,we tender him then we can match any reasonable offer or it puts us in a better spot to make an offer....

IMO some Team will go speed crazy and throw the bank at Wallace,,we can't afford to be that Team because Brown is our best WR so whatever decisions we make now will have a huge Impact on Brown....

Now that BA is gone Brown will really outshine Wallace....

11. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I agree with your opinion of our situation with wallace. How do you feel about our other WRs?

Cajun-

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would resign Wallace only on the Steelers terms,They aren't going to throw
    huge amounts of money at him. Especially when they know there are two other receivers on this team that are better than he is, and will want paid. You can only spend so much on each position.The more I think about, I believe the Steelers
    will shop him around on their terms.

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Brown is solid and really is a top 10 type of WR,and we need to save some money for him because he is the Future...

Sanders has all the tools to be as good as Brown if he can stay healthy...We need to watch how that unfolds this season....

Cotchery still has it and needs to be resigned for a reasonable offer....

Ward is still better than some believe,,,he was hated by the OC so in turn Ben never really looked forhim and this always effects a player so I say resign.........

Grisham ,,lets not forget him he played pretty solid when he got the chance...

Lyons was having a great camp and needs another look...

Sweed was also having a great camp and needs another look as well...

And my Redman type player for this draft is Brian Quick,,,yeah not really the same as he will go in round #2 ,,but I believe he could show he should have bee the 1st. WR off the board...Had to get that pimp in ,,,LOL....

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    was having a great camp and needs another look...

Sweed was also having a great camp and needs another look as well...

And my Redman type player for this draft is Brian Quick,,,yeah not really the same as he will go in round #2 ,,but I believe he could show he should have bee the 1st. WR off the board...Had to get that pimp in ,,,LOL....[/quote:1h93nmzx]
    those two are not on the roster anymore. we have added:

tyler beiler 1st yr. bridgewater
    david gilreath 1st yr. wisc.
    juamorris stewert 3rd yr. georgia southern
    derrik williams 3rd yr. penn st.
    jimmy young 1st yr. tcu
    :cool:

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    those two are not on the roster anymore. we have added:

tyler beiler 1st yr. bridgewater
    david gilreath 1st yr. wisc.
    juamorris stewert 3rd yr. georgia southern
    derrik williams 3rd yr. penn st.
    jimmy young 1st yr. tcu
    :cool:[/quote:1s8ql090]

I understand that ,but Sweed is with nobody and Grisham is 1 cut away from being camp elgible....So all we have to do is invite Sweed I do believe ,and Grisham is just a solid player and his Team may be looking for a spectacular type.......

I really don't feel any that are on the practice squad are anywhere near as good as Sweed,Grisham, or Lyons .....TY. for the roster uodate ,but until we enter camp we still have a great chance to look at the 3 I posted and I think we should,.....I hope we get to see Brian Quick ...Lol...

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

I understand that ,but Sweed is with nobody and Grisham is 1 cut away from being camp elgible....So all we have to do is invite Sweed I do believe ,and Grisham is just a solid player and his Team may be looking for a spectacular type.......

I really don't feel any that are on the practice squad are anywhere near as good as Sweed,Grisham, or Lyons .....TY. for the roster uodate ,but until we enter camp we still have a great chance to look at the 3 I posted and I think we should,.....I hope we get to see Brian Quick ...Lol...[/quote:3vshgtyh]
    gilreath was quite a good return guy in college. beiler is a 4.3 guy. williams was decent at penn st.. young was pretty good for tcu. i have no want what so ever to carry on the sweed saga. i liked grisham, but he blew his chance last year in preseason. he dropped alot of chances. there's better out there. it's time to move forward and not backwards. :cool:

17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I really don't feel any that are on the practice squad are anywhere near as good as Sweed,Grisham, or Lyons .....TY. for the roster uodate ,but until we enter camp we still have a great chance to look at the 3 I posted and I think we should,.....I hope we get to see Brian Quick ...Lol...[/quote:2jl9e9gh]
    gilreath was quite a good return guy in college. beiler is a 4.3 guy. williams was decent at penn st.. young was pretty good for tcu. i have no want what so ever to carry on the sweed saga. i liked grisham, but he blew his chance last year in preseason. he dropped alot of chances. there's better out there. it's time to move forward and not backwards. :cool:[/quote:2jl9e9gh]

Fair enough...I do think a lot of guys can and would play better now that BA is gone.....Confidence grows starting with the Coach,,I think BA has crushed Sweed,Dennis Dixxon, and Ward.....

I think he hurt a lot of other players as well,,,,I think a new shot for these guys under a new OC who values other things besides speed,and the deep ball could be a good thing.......

Heck BA held Redman back for years ,,I am glad BA could never break his will......So I still Question just how many players that BA did break with his Love for a certain style of play??This is why I like Haley ,,,he has no style or no scheme he has no preconceived notions of a type of Football player.....This could only help these guys IMO.........

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I sure hope Haley lives up to some of the expecations being touted around the board at the moment...

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

I really don't feel any that are on the practice squad are anywhere near as good as Sweed,Grisham, or Lyons .....TY. for the roster uodate ,but until we enter camp we still have a great chance to look at the 3 I posted and I think we should,.....I hope we get to see Brian Quick ...Lol...[/quote:31zhaun9]
    gilreath was quite a good return guy in college. beiler is a 4.3 guy. williams was decent at penn st.. young was pretty good for tcu. i have no want what so ever to carry on the sweed saga. i liked grisham, but he blew his chance last year in preseason. he dropped alot of chances. there's better out there. it's time to move forward and not backwards. :cool:[/quote:31zhaun9]

Fair enough...I do think a lot of guys can and would play better now that BA is gone.....Confidence grows starting with the Coach,,I think BA has crushed Sweed,Dennis Dixxon, and Ward.....

I think he hurt a lot of other players as well,,,,I think a new shot for these guys under a new OC who values other things besides speed,and the deep ball could be a good thing.......

Heck BA held Redman back for years ,,I am glad BA could never break his will......So I still Question just how many players that BA did break with his Love for a certain style of play??This is why I like Haley ,,,he has no style or no scheme he has no preconceived notions of a type of Football player.....This could only help these guys IMO.........[/quote:31zhaun9]

i don't believe BA did anything to those guys to make them not live up to expectations. they had a chance to go to other teams and other OC's and did not thrive anywhere else. some guys just don't have the drive and talent to play in the NFL. it's more then just physical ability. you need the whole package. your players don't blame you for not making them college stars do they? you as a coach, especially shouldn't be blaming other coaches. they had a good chance on a top team like the steelers. that sounds like that kid from ASU blaming his coaches because of his combine blunders. :bscow: :cool:

20. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree completely. Without resurrecting a thoroughly dead horse, the idea that BA was wickedly and conivingly holding back player development is just silly.

Of course, different systems allow different types of player to shine. We'll see who steps up to the plate in the Haley era.

21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly what your last line says different systems allow different types of players to shine.....Grisham,Ward,Lyons, and Sweed all seem to be better in short areas they all seemed to be better blockers than our other WR'S as well.....The lack of a short passing game and his lack for a pounding running game held back all these players as well as DD and Redman.....

As a Coach myself I am of the style of Haley,I do believe you must adapt your game plan to what your players do best and until you do that you can't really tell what poential that player might have ......BA firmly stated he would not change his system and he made little to no adjustments week to week....

Our OL in not all Pro and he wouldn't call plays to help them either,,so I do agree we will see who shines in the Haley era,but I still would like to see Sweed,Lyons,Grisham and DD under Haley.......Haley has a rep of getting the best out of guys he could turn them into something of value IMO......That's all I am saying....

22. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Ok, we're in agreement on this. Why we didn't keep to the formula we used to destroy NE was a bit of a mystery to me. I don't think we even need a pounding running game (I mean, it would be nice, but...), just the underneath options where players can run solid routes, and improvise if the need arises. People like Cotchery, in fact.

We'll see if Haley implements it.