1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cajun's Post all-star Pre-Combine 7 rd mock draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by cajunyankee, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Couldn't disagree more. I hope the Browns stay away from him, he'll torment us for years. Then again, the Browns have a way of destroying QB's. I'll have to take a look at your guy, Garropollo.

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Jimmy G is going to be a great value pickup for someone. He's probably better than many of the guys who will go in the first couple rounds.

3. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I know we have Landry, but if Jimmy is there in the 4th do we pass on him?

Cajun-

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't see alot of franchise qb's but there are alot of really solid guys a team could win with and alot of guys that have the goods to be more in time. :cool:

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Are you serious? This team can't afford to waste a draft pick on a QB, just because Jimmy G had a good East West Shrine game he still has a lot to prove he didn't play against elite competition either.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    There's a lot more to go on then just the EW Shrine game.

I don't think the team takes any QB in the draft this year, but I wouldn't be upset if they did grab one at a good value to groom behind Ben.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :no: I was ready to kill over the Landry pick last year, I'll be full out homicidal if they pick one this year :lolol:

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    People Ben R,
    won't be here
    forever,reckoning time is coming.
    Preperation has to begin.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He's easily got 5 years left and we just took Jones last year, lets see what we have in him before spending draft picks we don't have to use on another QB. Plus, our next franchise QB will more then likely be a first round pick, not a late round, I know, Brady but doesn't happen often.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You mean his whopping 206 yard performance? Think the defense had a little more to do with them winning that game. Yeah I know, Bens SB sucked too, in fact Wilson played better but Ben played great leading up to his first SB, Wilson had the lowest QBR of any QB entering the SB. I'm not sold on him yet, he has the smarts to play the position, lets see how he pans out.

Shall I list all the late round clunkers? Exceptions don't make the rule. We have far too many needs to be addressing QB, especially when we took one to develop last year.

12. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I am by no means advocating taking a QB in this draft. If you can get a steal on a guy who can be groomed though, or who can be future trade bait, then you need to be open to it IMO.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not a bad idea to have another good possibility in camp and on the PS if that's where he would end up. there are so many this year with high potential. even after the draft. I think that was part of getting landry jones last year. he's every bit worth a 4th rd. pick. I've mentioned guiton before as a possibility. everyone seems to expect them to be the new ben because we could just pick a first rounder when the time comes, but when there is a lot of talent at the position deep into the draft, I think it is a good idea to get a feel for a guy before we really need to. nothing wrong with developing a guy with a good pedigree if you can. we have that luxury of doing this with ben here. :cool:

14. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you TTF exactly what I am thinking,
    FUTURE MOVES? See even our fans can't
    think out of the box.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    How many development QB's do you want on the bench? Has nothing to do with thinking out of the box, has to do with needs, priorities, I understand what TTF is saying and it has merit, I just don't think we have that luxury.

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We definitely don't have that luxury. I think we give Jones a extensive look this pre season. Whatever snaps Ben don't get should go to him. Put his feet to the fire and see how he reacts. You never know guys.....you have to give him a opportunity. He put up numbers in college and I can recall a couple of scouts saying he had real potential.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What is Landry Jones? Aren't they grooming him to be Ben's backup? This team isn't good enough to take chances on drafting another QB, they have too many other needs.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Right. Two different things.

19. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Not sure where you're getting your facts about Wilson but it isn't quite right. As a ACC fan, I like NCState and liked Wilson long ago and was drooling over the possibility of us getting him, he was drafted mid way thru the 3rd rd.

His Reg season QBR was 101.6. His career QBR is 100.6 and for the SB his QBR was 123.1............... and has a 28-9 record.

He didn't have the Huge passing numbers but with that defense and Beast Mode he was expected to make smart plays, be efficient and no turnovers...

I did hate the Landry pick, not that he wasn't rated high enough to be taken in the 4th, I just felt we had other more pressing needs and he wasn't the steal that was needed to supplant getting other quality players. Also drafting him would mean we won't another QB for a couple years while waiting to see how he develops, in other words drafting him handcuffed us to drafting another QB for a few years.

Cajun-

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not really Cajun. we suffered through some years with a need at qb with lefty and Charlie. remember bringing hoyer in letting him go and then needing him again only to lose him. we drafted a new qb to not have to deal with that anymore, plus the possibility he could be brought along quick enough to release a guy like gradkowski down the road.

that would leave a need for another qb. if we got one this year even as an priority UDFA at the end of this draft and if he only made the PS his rookie year, it would allow grad to go by then. it doesn't always have to be for this year. you have to think ahead too. there is some very good upside with a lot of these qb's deep into this one. not so much if we wait a year.:cool:

21. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    This!!!!!!!!!!

Draft choices are limited and few....... We have a Franchise QB...( for a Max of 5 yrs ) and a presumed good back-up ( Gradkowski ) and maybe a future QB in Landry ( wait and see ) so drafting a QB this is Stupid!!! Unless... he is a steal. A Steal regardless of position is Always a must pick. Trade bait? Yep, Ben has a history of not playing every game so it would be awesome to see a guy come in a light it up and we trade for multi picks.

Cajun-

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It was mentioned on a sports talk show, they said of the last 6 weeks entering the SB his was the lowest QBR. Maybe I heard wrong or they had their facts wrong but I'm not ready to anoint any of these new QB's yet, let them prove it over the long haul. Wilson doesn't make mistakes but I also don't think he can put the team on his shoulders and carry them either, not yet anyway. I think media has fallen in love with these guys too much too fast, they are dying for the next wave of great QB's, I'm not so sure that Wilson and Kap are it. I think Luck is, think he is the real deal, I don't think the other 2 guys are on his level.

23. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I stand by my statement Mac, You know this team likes to have a vet ( at cap min or close ) to be the backup. One can always be found. They'll have a drafted young guy to groom and won't draft another QB unless he's an absolute steal in the eyes of the Steelers. They will bring in another QB, either vet or UDFA to be a camp arm.

Cajun-

24. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    That may be right, I just don't know, I do know he was rattled some ending the season and playoffs but. To me that shouldn't define a player as everyone goes thru rough patches of games, its how those patches are dealt with and the growth the follows that should define a player. I'm not a fan of Kap, agree on Luck and think RGlll isn't dealing with adversities like expected. I'm still a fan of Wilson's and would be okay if he was on our team. The original question was about Jimmy Garopolo(?) and if he was enough of a steal to take in the 4th or 5th rd.

Cajun-

25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    It is being floated that Shanahan will
    indeed bring Cousins to the Browns.So
    there goes another Qb into the discussion.
    I would have had the Browns taking Bortles
    if he was going to be there.