1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cajun's Post all-star Pre-Combine 7 rd mock draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by cajunyankee, Jan 31, 2014.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    To set this up let me say I've seen some of these guys play, but not all. I've used some other sites to gain player overall rankings but as we all know it all fluid right now, guys are moving up and down and the combine,pro-days & interviews WILL change things.

This is just a ROUGH draft ( pun intended ) to give us discussion points and to help identify potential players at potential rds. Let me know your thoughts...........

Rd 1- Justin Gilbert CB Ok St. = A shut down corner with return abilities.... Ike is getting older and needs replacing
    ALT. Rd 1 pick In case Gilbert is gone Marquise Lee WR USC would be a nice alternative

Rd 2- Adrian Hubbard OLB Ala. = We must re-sign Worilds and if we do we STILL must address OLB pos.
    ALT. Rd 2 pick If Hubbard is gone Shayne Skov ILB Stanford.. Spence & Foote ???? Vince & Garvin good backups!

Rd 3- Comp Pick--- Craig Loston SS LSU... Safety needs addressing and moving Ike there won't work.
    ALT. Rd 3 pick C. J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa.... Behind Heath we have who? A good TE is always a good pick early

Rd 4- James Hurst LOT NC.... Levi and Whimper is gone so lets give Munchak a solid raw talent to develop
    ALT. Rd 4 pick Ed Stinson DE/OLB ALA. I like Stinson and if Hurst is gone he's a good fit. Woodley/Worilds not durable

Rd. 5- Andre Williams RB Boston College.... We need RBs, F. Jones/no LSH/? Dwyer/unsigned
    ALT. Rd 5 pick Kenny Ladler FS Vanderbilt good player who may move up the boards by draft day

Rd. 6- Xavier Gimble TE USC
    ALT. Rd 6 pick Terrance West RB Towson

Rd. 7- Prince Shembo OLB Notre Dame-- Another player who may move up come draft day but currently projected as 7th rd talent
    ALT. Rd 7 pick Carrington Byndom CB Texas

Okay, have at it.

Cajun-

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    While CB isn't the #1 priority on my list, in reality, I think the Steelers will STRONGLY be looking at the position at #15. If Colbert is sitting there at #15 and has the chance to draft the #1 CB in the draft, I think he takes it. IMO, the #1 CB is Gilbert so I think that pick is extremely realistic. Gilbert is a playmaker and he would be a welcomed addition to our DB corps.

I like the position of LB with our 2nd round pick, but I don't like Hubbard. I have him more as a 3rd round pick. He looks the part but his production is nowhere to be found. I didn't find he stood out at the Senior Bowl either. A little smaller but much more athletic, I really like Christian Jones out of Florida St. Has the same body type as Timmons and plays a very similar game, albeit, less physical. Would look great next to Timmons, or give him time to put on 10 lbs and could play OLB too.

The expected 3rd round comp pick is a GREAT place to choose a S. Once again, I'm not big on Loston as I think Terrence Brooks from Florida St is a better choice. He flashed at times during the Senior Bowl week and I really like him alot as a rangy FS who can also lay the wood.

Beyond that, I do like your positions. We need an OL, a RB, a TE and probably another LB. I do have Shembo in my current mock too. I think he would be a good late round value.

3. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Christian Jones- He's more of a 4-3 OLB. He can kick inside in a 3-4 but we already have that type of player in JJ. I do like him though but I was going for more of a player to replace/re-leave or back-up Woodley/Worilds. I wanted Dee Ford but he'll climb to the 1st rd and get over drafted.

Terrence Brooks- I really like him- ( kinda partial to ACC guys ) but Once again I think we have our Future FS in Shark. I was looking for a SS which is why I went with Loston. Hopefully Lake can groom him to replace Troy in a year or so.

I have a question for you... Do you think we could get Crockett Gillmore TE out of Colorado ST via UDFA or do you think he'll get drafted and so where. I almost took Shembo in rd 6 as I think he'll move up and thought about Gillmore in rd 7, just not sure with him, liked him in the senior bowl.

Cajun-

4. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Interestingly enough, I have that pegged exactly the opposite. To me Shamarko is Troy's replacement. I think we look for a Ryan Clark in free agency while still drafting a S who we think can be our starter long term hopefully starting in year 3.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Where do you see Dennard, Cajun? I think Gillmore will be drafted...probably 6th or 7th thanks to the Senior Bowl. I haven't seen much of him, so I have no idea what kind of blocker he is. A guy to watch out for in the later rounds is AC Leonard.

6. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I guess you and Steelcity see it one way and I see it another. Shark is a hitter and loves it, he's also fast and would make a great FS.

Cajun-

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I followed up on a link I saw here this morning in the Tweets. It was referring to the Quicken Loans skill challenge. It will be re-airing Sunday at 2 I believe. Long story short Mosley finished 2nd in a obstacle course type event. He finished behind a CB I forget who but ahead of Van Noy who many feel is a top notch athlete. Not saying it's a be all end all but I think some are underestimating Mosley's athleticism. It's hard to guess at this point. If Spence can come back to 100% ILB might not be a need,but if not I really like what Mosley can bring to this defense....

8. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    why would your secondary pick in rd 1 be a wr and not TE

is Eric Ebron gone by then?
    your reasoning in rd 3 for a TE stands true in rd 1 too

just asking, because to me, a wr which we have quite of few of who have been here for a few years just to take another one in rd 1 seems overboard. when an offensive weapon like TE is one we are actually thin on.Heath ain't no fresh candy bar.

9. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Many feel Dennard is the best CB in the draft and his Thorpe award helps fuel that. He'll probably be drafted in the top 12 and the Lions, Rams Giants could really use him. Good for us leaving us Gilbert who I like better because of his added return skills.

Cajun-

10. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm not a big fan of Ebron. He may be a 1st rd talent but to me its a late 1st rd. At 15 he'd be overdrafted.

If in Rd one Gilbert is gone then most assuredly Dennard would be too and @ # 15 I don't want the 3rd best CB but I'd take a day one starting weapon like WR Marqise Lee.

Cajun-

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure how you come up with that, good chance he won't even make it to 15. Amaro is the one that many think will be taken towards the end of the first.

12. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    overrated
    okay that's your opinion

who wants a
    Gates
    Gonzalez
    Crumpler
    who all have longer careers and more tds than Heath

no need to replace someone who's position is more than likely last longer on the same team

let's draft a wr who will be gone in 4yrs

you're a blue devil's fan aren't you?:smiley1:

13. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    He didn't say overrated...he said over-drafted at #15.:smiley1:

14. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good talent in your draft Cajun..

I just like TE/WR early and CB later. Some good ones in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th. McGill, Hampton, Roberson, Fuller and Gaines to name a few that I like.

CB, DE and Tackle will be over-valued in this draft at the top, IMO.

15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I've beaten my drum as to why I don't think WR in round 1 is likely the way the team will go, but aside from that, I think CB could, and may very likely be, a position we double dip from this year.

You're probably right about those positions being over-valued, especially CBs with above average height, though definitely add QB to that list. :-D

16. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    he can only be drafted once tho correct?

yet
    I stand corrected

my apologies to the blue devil fan:cool:

17. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good catch TTF..

I actually like Mettenberger and Garropollo better than the top guys in this draft and that isn't saying much.. :lolol:

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Bortles is going to be a good one. Not familiar with your guys. I think Manziel will be drafted way to early.

19. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Yes, I am a Blue devils fan and love what our former asst coach Montgomery did with that team this year.... LOVED IT!!!

Oddly enough I also like NC State for I have ties to. And no, my hatred for the heels has not spoiled my opinion of Ebron. He has a good pair of hands but he's weak and not a good pass protector or run blocker. He'll get stronger and maybe develop good blocking skills, maybe not but one thing I know, at #15 I want a starter and future pro-bowler. Too many ???? with Ebron at 15.

Cajun-

20. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I think Bortles is going to be a bust if he's draft in the top ten. I like Garropollo much better. Quick release, good feet and decision making, and I hope you're right about him and Ebron, if they're drafted early it increases the chances we get better players.

Cajun-

21. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    I KNEW IT
    KNEW IT
    :facepalm:

it's all good
    here we are STEELER FANS

without a rivalry there's no competition

and

UNC AND DUKE HAVE A STORIED RIVALRY

i'll simply take the higher ground (chapel hill)
    see we're on a hill;)

and agree to disagree

butt

when we pick Ebron
    and
    he puts up numbers out this universe like MICHAEL JORDAN (not Hurley)

we'll both be celebrating

COME ON!!

blue devils look freakin awesome in football this year

I'm not happy with how much they loss me on the ACC championship game

ALL THOSE POINTS!!!!!????!!!!

ARGH!!!

22. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go DUKE!!!!!!!!!!

Go Steelers!!!!

Cajun-

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would be good with taking Gilbert at #15 we need help in the worst way at CB. Hubbard and Skov aren't going in the second round Hubbard has the measurables but not the production. Andre Williams would be good pick up in the 5th round.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like your thinking Cajun, positions you are picking are right in line with what Steelers NEED. Once again until
    the Steelers finish with current business,
    BenR/Worilds/Woodley/troy/Ike there is NO WAY I CAN predict where the Steelers may go? I will have to keep studying,good starting
    point.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    to be fair to heath, alot of his career, he had an OC that didn't use him alot. if he would have been used like he was in haley's first year, he would have numbers like those others. heath had a great year two years ago. dem duke boys are smarter too. :rolleyes::geek::smiley1:

:cool: