1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cajun's mock draft 2.0

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by cajunyankee, Apr 6, 2013.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I've made some adjustments to my earlier mock. I didn't overhaul it because i kinda liked it but as time goes things become a little less cloudy and I also have had more time to learn about this years crop of players.

As always don't shy away from intelligent comments whether they're for or against my picks. I'm still learning and enjoy debating.

1) Jon Cooper OG NC Part of Steelers success is drafting BPA. He brings it all and instantly improves our pass and run game for years.

2) Eric Reid FS LSU A change from the 1st mock. With the loss of Mundy & Allen and Troy & Clark aging you really can't pass on this caliber of talent.

3) Vance McDonald TE Rice I know we still have miller though he may not be ready come day one. I see PUP for him. Yes we resigned Matt Spaeth who I like and we have Paulson. Vance is 6'5" 260 Lbs and played slot WR at rice. He's as tall but bigger that Tyler Eifert, 31 reps on the bench vs 22 so he's stronger and he has a 33.5 in vert, yeah the man can jump. Great hands and rte runner as he played WR. He has long arms and is a good blocker and only getting better. He's a WEAPON and matchup nightmare.

4) Brandon Jenkins OLB Fl St. I had him on my previous mock in the 5th rd. Many of you think that was too far back so I moved him up one rd. Remember he didn't play last year due to an injury nor did he perform at the combine.

5) Kenjon Barner RB Oregon--

6a) Nico Johnson ILB Ala- Loss playing time due to a sports hernia- no combine... he'll slide, how far no body knows but here he'll be a no brainer.

6b) Melvin White DB Louisanna-Lafayette A 6'3" safety/corner Again I had on my previous mock but moved him up to our comp pick. He could be Ike's replacement someday but till then a ST contributer.

7) Quanterus Smith DE Western Kentucky At 6'5" and 250Lbs he'll move to OLB. He put up great numbers before he tore his ACL late in the season. No Combine or senior Bowl either so he should be there in rd 7.

Okay, tell me what you think.

Cajun-

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    1 2 4 are the same of mine

3. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I knew 1 & 2 were when I read your mock. I just thought great minds think alike. I didn't realize #4 was also the same. I had him earlier @ # 5 but you guys convinced me to move him up.

Cajun-

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I really just can't get excited about Cooper at #17. Yes, I think it certainly fills a need, and I wouldn't cry over the pick, but something just doesn't excite me about it. Warmack - Yes, but Cooper - No.

If Reid WAS available in Round 2 for us, I would love it. It would be tremendous value. I just can't see him being there (or Vacaroo or Elam). With the proliferation of the passing game and especially TEs getting vertical up the field, Safeties are hot commodities. I feel like the 3 top safeties all could go in the 1st round or at worst top 40.

I don't like the TE choice here. Like you I would love to get my hands on a TE, but I just don't see it happening. Many still believe Sanders will be a Steeler next year. I do not. I feel we have to grab a WR somewhere in this draft. I just think WR is the bigger need compared to TE.

I like your picks in Rounds 4-6, some of them are what I have.

I would be shocked if we didn't grab a QB somewhere in the late rounds.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i like you others , just since we already have a lot of ilb signed we could take matui to see how he recover , quentarious smith will be taken early otherwise i would jump on it in the 7 , my late rounds picks are not study wery accurate but since we have already two rb i think we should bring 2 late 6/7 rounders left and a couple of udfa , betweeen the 4 we could find a gem , rb is a strange position look where we took mendy and redmann

6. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Tell me what it is you don't like about the TE pick. Is it the position or the player because I think Mcdonald would be a perfect fit here under Haley and he fits a need and rd 3 would be my best guess.

eric reid in rd 2= this is a very deep safety class. I feel kenny v and elam will be gone 1st rd early 2nd. I also feel cyprien made a good enough case for himself he'll go next early/middle 2nd. I have Reid next( I know you like him better than other safeties) but if he's gone not sure what I'll do. suggestions?

I'm seriously considering moving Q. smith DE/OLB up to pick 6b and then take QB Ryan Griffin Tulane with the 7th pick. It'll cost me Melvin white DB but may be worth it, just not sure yet.

Cajun-

7. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    its pretty good but no way reid is there in the 2nd at 48

8. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011

If NB's evaluation of the safety class is right then reid will be gone. No way the top 4 safeties are gone by the 48th pick. If Reid is indeed gone who would be your replacement?

Cajun-

9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont know in round 2. I like rambo out of georgia. The other kid from georgia williams is good but not a 2nd rounder. I like the more i see of the kid from nevada. We had him in for visit.

10. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    swearinger :cool:

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've got us taking Swearinger in the 4th round in my mock draft. Isn't the 2nd round a little high for him?

12. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011

I don't like rambo, I don't think any of the others are worth a 2nd rd pick.

cajun-

13. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Hey there SC, its been awhile. I think Jack is right in that a 2nd rd pick is a bit high for swearinger, though I do like the kid.

Cajun-

14. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    The 2nd may be a bit high, but his stock has been skyrocketing lately. With sitting a year or two and learning under Polamalu & Clark, it'd be a perfect situation for him! He is the perfect mold for a Steeler...very solid cover skills, a downright NASTY hitter, not to mention very flexible (played every DB position in the SEC)

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree, BPA in the first is going to be an offensive linemen...the question is if they take one or trade down???

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if we get a partner we will trade down ..i hope

17. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    San Fran has 14 picks, 2 in rd two and cap space. They are in love with WR Tavon from what I have heard and know they must move up to get him.

Cajun-

18. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    perfect let's call them

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The trade chart works almost perfectly for a trade:

Pick #17 (950 points) for Pick #31 (600), Pick #61 (300) and Pick #128 (47)

While a trade like this sounds nice, I would not want to pull the trigger before we actually know who's available at Pick #17.

20. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    This would be very hard to pass up IMO, as we have A LOT of glaring needs! I agree with needing to factor in who may be available at #17, as it's proven year after year that you never know who's going to suddenly fall. But an extra 2nd & 4th could be huge with the depth in this draft!

21. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    At first glance it's pretty good... but no way we get through the first 3 rounds without a WR, let alone the whole draft.

22. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    If that trade was offered to us, I would find it nearly impossible to say no. I get a 2nd and a 4th rounder in order to move down....I do that and run to the table to announce the trade.

23. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yep. This would actually be a best case scenario for us I think. I think the 25-32 range has more at the positions we need (WR and LB). We could move down and grab Keenan Allen or Deandre Hopkins (my favorite WR in this draft), and pick up the extra picks.

24. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I hope we don't got OL/DL until the 4th round, as that's what we've focused on our last few drafts. Time to look at the skill positions, and I lvoe the thought of moving down and adding a pick to get more skilz.

25. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    We all seem to make mock drafts matching our supposed greatest needs with the BPA @ that position. That's great when it happens but in reality you must draft the BPA regardless of position.

The Packers a few years back drafted Rogers in the 1st rd even though they had Farve still in his formidable years.

We cannot avoid an OL or DL guy if he's there just because we done that recently. In fact we haven't done very well drafting DL. Ziggy stinks and Heyward can't beat out an aging Keisel or a stinking ziggy. DL is a big need, maybe bigger than OLB but that's a different debate. I would have put a DL as our 1st pick if there was that potential probowler there but Cooper is BPA who plays 3 positions along the OL very well.

I agree with trading down and aquiring picks. I disagree with NB's assessment of this draft, I think its a deep draft, deeper than the past few drafts we've had. We could help ourselves with an extra 2nd or 3rd rd pick. I'd rather stay at 17 if it meant getting an extra 4th rd pick though.

Oh, I did mock some skill players. The RB and TE I've mocked I believe could be there at that spot and are instant upgrades. I even feel McDonald out of Rice will be a better pro TE than Ertz from standord who's ranked above him. McDonald will be a weapon and a matchup nightmare.

I am considering changing my 7th rd pick to Tulane's QB Griffin.

Cajun-