1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cajun’s post preseason Game 1 53 roster prediction

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Aug 14, 2019.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    QB- Ben, Dobbs, Mason
    nothing new here except Mason is #2
    R.B.- Connor,Samuels,Snell
    WR- JuJu, Donte Moncrief, Washington, Dionte Johnson, Dionte Spencer, Johnny Holton.
    Goodbye Eli and Switzer
    TE- McDonald, Gentry, Christian Scotland-Williamson
    OL- Pouncey, DD, Foster, AV, Feiler, Finney, Chuks, Banner, Fred Johnson

DL- Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, Alualu, Buggs, Hooks
    ILB- Bush, Barron, Dirty Red, Gilbert
    OLB- Dupree, Watt, Ola, Skipper, Sutton Smith
    CB- Haden, Nelson, Hilton, Sutton, Layne, Brian Allen
    Safety- Davis, Edmunds, Dangerfield, Kelly, Marcus Allen

K-Boswell: P Berry: LS Canaday

PS-QB Hodges- DL Buggs & Mondeaux - ILB Spillane- S P.J. Locke- CB Jermaine Ponder- R.B. Trey Edmunds OL Hassenauer - WR Tevin Jones & Brandon Reilly

Just for fun and paying tribute to some guys who had a good game , mixed in some rookies . Naturally this isn’t how it is going to end up.

Cajun

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think switz stays because of Ben. I don't want to jinx anything but aside from Alvin the dud, our front 7 looks great.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There is no chance Switzer is cut, zero. Rogers is almost a lock too.

They have JuJu and then a bunch of question marks behind him, they aren't getting rid of players they know can perform.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    No Roosevelt Nix and no Grimble.....some bold choices

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No Vince Williams?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    No way Smith gets an olb spot over Chik.

And you have "Dirty Red" and a 6th rd. Pick over the incumbent starter at lib?

• Like Like x 2
  7. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    For me Grimble was an easy cut, Gentry should be able to accomplish that. Nix is different. I like him not only on offense but also ST. With the use of a FB on offense not being that important and can be replaced schematically and his role on ST replaced by more athletic guys he got cut.

Cajun

8. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    In reality you’re correct.... but this is just an exercise putting together a roster using just camp and 1 preseason game info.

I was excited to hear chick had off-season surgery and is now Much faster, yet disappointed in his play off the edge. He has no pass rush skills. Ola and Skipper are easily better. Sutton made it just because of his draft status and position flexibility during camp.

Vince is nothing special. A reliable Buck in run support only. Red can easily do his job. Barron and Bush will most likely be the starters so Vince is an expensive 2nd stringer and Gilbert has shown he has a high ceiling.

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I hear ya on Grimble, I'm not a huge fan but you know how the staff values experienced vets.

Is it me or is the depth at TE around the league pretty thin? Seems like a lot of teams are looking for TE help and IF Grimble was cut I bet he'd be picked up pretty quick. I read the transaction wire and it seems teams are signing some pretty low level talent right now to cover for injuries, etc.

We'll see what it looks like after cut down day though. Got my eye on Denver. Noah Fant, Jeff Heuerman, Jake Butt, Troy Fumagalli. I can't imagine them keeping 4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    In the real world Eli is safer than Switzer. They know and trust his skill set. Dionte Spencer is a proven returner and WR and is faster. Legit 4.3 speed.

Cajun

11. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    0% chance Holton and Spencer make this opening roster at WR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Dionte spencer? Over Eli or Switzer? Kid looked like the lights were too big for him his first time out which is a pass at this point. Holton played well, spencer... Man I'm not feeling it. Some more auditions to be had so not knee jerking at all but Holton looked WAY better than Spencer atleast to my (admittedly) sauced up eyes that night. Rd 1 goes to JH. I like his measurables better to this point. We shall see tho

13. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    My only reason for why I think they will keep Switzer is what I saw at the one practice I attended. Ben naturally looked for Juju as his primary receiver but if he wasn't open Ben continually threw underneath to Switzer time and time again for 6 or 7 yard gains. Ben just seemed comfortable knowing where Switzer was going to be on every play.
    Of course I was only at one practice so it's hard to base who will make the team or not based on that but Ben just looked at ease dumping it off to Switzer to keep the chains moving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    He had 1 KO return.... 35 yds... 4 punt returns that avg 13 yds, a long of 30....

Doesn’t seem light those lights were that big for him ....... I like Holton’s game so he made the roster ..... now when Moncrief takes to the field Holtons job might not be so safe.

Cajun

15. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Such a hater..... LOL

Cajun

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Don't get me wrong... His punt return game was there but he dropped some passes. Again I was in early season prep mode so I might be off base here hahahs

17. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Either way, like the mock we'll see as the auditions further unravel.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    In the real world? Is that the same world that Dirty Red is as good as Vince :lolol:

Switzer is as safe as kittens. Bank on it.

19. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    HEY!!! It’s my World and I’m Living in it!!!
    LOL

Cajun

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't see the Steelers keeping 9 active offensive lineman. Banner offers no flexibility for multiple line positions; and he looked absolutely clueless on the Dobbs sack in the first preseason game.

I say they keep 4 RBs. Nix back to FB.

I would also swap Eli for Spencer.
    I see Diontae Johnson taking over return duties; which means Switzer would be out.

And they just paid Artie $800,000 a couple of weeks ago to keep him on the roster; they must have liked something they saw in OTAs

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    switz and vance look like they are Ben's security blankets

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Plus Ben has basically adopted Switzer, so theres that too.

• Like Like x 1
  23. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I see no scenario in which vince Williams is not in the lineup barring injury

• Agree Agree x 4
  24. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    You also have bugs on the 53 and the practice squad simultaneously

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt they cut Switzer and Eli, and keep Spencer who drops passes. I think McCullers makes it over Hooks, maybe Buggs to the PS. Sutton Smith isn't making it over Chickillo, and I don't see Allen making it over Burns.

• Like Like x 1