1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cajun’s Comment: State of the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Nov 25, 2019.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    We have NO Ben, AB, Bell, Connor, Nix, and JuJu is not himself when he plays, Foster the stable LG missed several games and returns as a shell of his former self, AV has gotten fat and slow and spends more time on the ground than any other OT.... we have a rookie ILB and another ILB in his first year here. Snell, a rookie RB has missed too many games and we’re on our 5th RB. Now our #1 WR is in his 2nd year and our #2 is a rookie and our # 3 JUST got here!!!

Let’s remember Pouncey is also out and when he’s been in he has played like an avg Center instead of the all-pro he once was....

Mason has struggled but Too much blame is being put on him. His int happened when his arm was hit, which ant been the 1st time..... he’s had way too many drops by his Receivers..... he’s been hit and sacked like no other, ( reminds me of David Carr ) and the Browns game shock him! The Bengals came after him hitting him late repeatedly with an elbow to the head and late hit to the knees......

Mason was Rattled and needed to be pulled!! Duck came in and saved the game and maybe should start next week BUT he isn’t the answer!!! Duck went 5-11 for 118 yds & a TD but remove that one pass to Washington he went 4-10 for 39 yds!!

Our OL IS our Biggest problem.... we have no pass protection and No run game and very young inexperienced WRs...... Mason is not the problem and oddly right now isn’t the answer either.......

This time off will help Mason settle down and grow..... He still has what it takes to be the Franchise QB someday!!!!

Also Randy Fichtner is horrible and isn’t helping matters.....

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Everything you said is true but despite all of that the Steelers currently hold the final playoff spot.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    "We're on to play the Browns" (Bill Bellichek Tone)

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  4. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    After everything I said you would think our record would be well below .500!!! And we would be if not for our Defense which is playing great and keeping us in the playoff hunt and saving Butlers job.....

Cajun

5. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    No Belicheat references allowed...... haha

6. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Need a title change to this thread. May I suggest Cajun's Cuckoo Comments: State of Mind of a Rudolph Apologist.

To somehow absolve Rudolph by flatly stating he "is not the problem" is absolute bonkers. Did you see the last throw he was allowed to make yesterday? He had great protection, planted, stepped up, and threw a one-hopper to DJ who then turned to the bench and threw up his hands as in "What am I supposed to do?" And that's just indicative of his inaccuracy in general.

As for the O-line being bad, and MR being "hit and sacked like no other", that's a bunch of crap. He's been sacked 14 times. 10 QBs have been sacked >2x that amount so far this year. His sack % is 7th lowest in the entire league. Meanwhile his average time to throw (which includes sacks) is 2.82 seconds which is 13th longest in the league. The 12 guys who hold the ball longer are either crappy QBs, i.e. Jeff Driskel, Marcus Mariota, or ones that can extend plays with their legs, i.e. Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Dak Prescott, etc. Which category do you think Rudolph falls into?

It's just not possible to have a long average time to throw and a low sack rate without either being a very good scrambler or being the recipient of reasonable protection. Again, which category do you think Rudolph falls into?

Just to put it in context Ben's time to throw the last year was 2.55 seconds (lowest in the league) and his sack rate last year was 3.4% (second lowest in the league). He's decisive. MR is hesitant. A large part of the O-lines perceived problems is that in previous years the ball was gone earlier. Now they got a guy back there who's less certain than Heisenberg.

Besides some type of Steelers death wish which you may harbor, what in the world gives you any reason to believe he's a franchise QB?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    It is hard to defend MR after yesterday ,I can't even begin to think where exactly the kids mindset is right now..I still feel he has the tools ,he has made the throws ,he has also had many,many drops that somehow a lot of people seem to forget..
    Duck hit a wide open guy yesterday and Washington did the rest..After that Duck looked below average to me..Where as MR may sit in the pocket a tick or two too long and wait for his guys to break free ,I felt Duck gets the ball and just leaves the pocket in a panic before pressure is even there..

Safe to say at this point the next Big Ben is not on the team ,heck ,he may not even be out of diapers yet..Big Bens don't grow on trees ..

8. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Many, not all, but many of those drops are due to Rudolph's inaccuracy. a) his passes are often not in prime catchable areas, meaning the numbers, and b) they leave the receivers in vulnerable positions which gets them lit up. The receivers sometimes make "business decisions" as its known. JuJu and McDonald didn't drop balls in previous years, but suddenly they can't catch? I think not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    You hit the nail on the head. Goes to show you how hard a franchise guy is to find. Makes me chuckle when I hear Steelers fans say that Big Ben was over rated and not that good.

I think Rudolph will get the shot again. I think with how everything has gone his head is bit frazzled at the moment.

10. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I dont even comprehend the mental gymnastics that one has to have to defend that QB anymore.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Bang on about how hard a franchise QB is to find.

I agree that MR may not be in a good mental state right now, but he was terrible in Cleveland before the whole Garrett thing happened too. More than anything I think DC's have adjusted and are now forcing him to do things that he may not be capable of doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You make good points but the last comment about MR disqualifies everything else. Franchise QB's don't throw from their back foot. Franchise QB's don't consistently underestimate the speed of their WR's.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'm thinking it is time to look for a QB. I liked Rudolph but he isn't looking good, the OC isn't helping but he isn't even looking average right now. The defense looks legit but we have some DB issues as Haden has slowed and is now guessing, a good QB gets him for 3 TDs this last game. T. Edmunds is going to be here 4 years and done, he has zero coverage skills and is still looking lost so add safety to the list of needs this team has.

14. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    This post wasn’t designed as an thread to defend Mason, but in the thread defending him was part of it and if you want to focus entirely on that then fine..... let’s talk,

Mason still has a 61% completion and if you’ve watched every game then you’ve seen an unprecedented amount of drops...

Mason has 12 TDS and until the last two games only had 4 int’s ..... two of which came from the ball bouncing off the WR hands and yes including JuJu .....

His last int came from when his arm was hit while throwing and that wasn’t the only time it’s happened this year.....

He has been sacked 14 times but his hits are much higher, sack numbers are down due to mason throwing the ball away, which also hurts his completion % yet he protects the ball......

The Steelers OL is ranked 31 out of 32 in rushing...... Mason, under constant duress, helps the OL ranking by throwing it away....

Mason has struggled all season with pocket awareness, he doesn’t move and avoid pressure and by time like he should and he darn sure is not a good rushing QB.... Dan Marino wouldn’t run either but he was a master of pocket awareness and sliding and buying time ..... Mason better improve this or his career is going to be short....

Mason has made some great throws in tight windows but he’s also regressing and making more and more bad throws......

His OL isn’t helping him, he has no run game and he’s throwing to WR who wasn’t on the team last year or even at the beginning of his year....... Play calling isn’t helping ...... The TE had only one target last game!!!!

Mason has lost something...... a second year QB starting for the 1st time he is on a learning curve and after that concussion he took a turn backwards instead of forward and after the Garett incident on the field and off the field with the racial slur accusation he has definitely been shaken and rattled....... there was at least 4 late hits not called before he was benched , one a elbow to the head while on the ground and another shot to his knees...... I’m not saying there was a bounty on him but the Bengals Absolutely had intentions of hitting him and trying to get into his head.... he’s young and it worked!!!!

Duck needs to start vs the browns but I believe Mason has what it takes to become a Franchise QB...... whether he does or not still remains to be seen!!!

Cajun

15. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I didn’t mention Edmunds but I should have...... you’re exactly right, his coverage skills stink....... I really like Hilton and am pleasantly surprised with Nelson....... I’d almost be willing to move Sutton to the slot and Hilton to SS and sit Edmunds

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1