1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bye, Sepulveda...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bleedsteel, Apr 4, 2012.

1. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011

I dont like using one of our 7 ( sometimes less, sometimes more ) draft picks on a K or a P. These poistions albeit important, may never see the field some games. The value they bring, best to worst, is marginal. The best PK and the worst PK on NFL rosters arent that far apart considering. Although I agree there is a definable difference, the margins are small. I have always thought that the draft is used to make your Offense or Defense better. Special Teams have been said are a 1/3 of the game. I dont agree. If you look at number of plays per unit, the ST unit only has maybe 10-15 plays a game as a high, where the O and D have 60-70 plays per game. Statistically speaking, this is not 1/3 of the game. Can a bad ST unit impact your team?? Absolutely, we have experienced this first hand. That all being said, we plucked Kap off the FA pile, so that to me shows there are quality players out there that fill the need and a draft pick is not needed on a PK or P.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011

I dont like using one of our 7 ( sometimes less, sometimes more ) draft picks on a K or a P. These poistions albeit important, may never see the field some games. The value they bring, best to worst, is marginal. The best PK and the worst PK on NFL rosters arent that far apart considering. Although I agree there is a definable difference, the margins are small. I have always thought that the draft is used to make your Offense or Defense better. Special Teams have been said are a 1/3 of the game. I dont agree. If you look at number of plays per unit, the ST unit only has maybe 10-15 plays a game as a high, where the O and D have 60-70 plays per game. Statistically speaking, this is not 1/3 of the game. Can a bad ST unit impact your team?? Absolutely, we have experienced this first hand. That all being said, we plucked Kap off the FA pile, so that to me shows there are quality players out there that fill the need and a draft pick is not needed on a PK or P.[/quote:z4ik02e4]

You said it yourself - we've seen first hand how lack of attention to ST can punish us.

I don't think looking at how many plays they're on the field is what matters. If it's the difference between getting points and not getting points, then you want the best players at the position. Think how more awful the raiders might have been without Janikowski, for example.

That said, ST is not just one position, anymore than an offense is just the QB.

3. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Thigpen, thats exactly my point....ST is not just one position. If you compared the best PK to the worst PK in the league, the difference is marginal. Same with the best Punters vs the worst punters. That being said, if these single position players are marginally different and we have one of the better ones off the FA pile, why would we ever waste a pick on any type of Kicker? When I draft my fantasy team, my last pick is always my Kicker because they are all basically the same. I cut them on bye weeks and pick up another one.

4. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That's funny. I always thought the difference between the best and worst kickers in the league was a couple of wins per season.