1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bye Bye fans.......again

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by THREE RIVER SHIVER, Nov 23, 2020.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    My mistake.

You're stating facts on incomplete data. That's my opinion anyway.

2. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    COVID is like HIV, you're going to die from what the symptoms is causing not "the virus."

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Marvology

Dec 10, 2019
    Well, I'm not going to let you just post conspiracy theories that can kill people who buy into them. And the reason businesses aren't open yet is because of people like YOU who think your "gut" instinct holds more weight than what scientists and medical experts are telling us to all do. This is never going away if people are assembling and going about their lives without precautions. There's a reason South Dakota now has the worse COVID rates in the country after a bunch of chest-thumping deniers rallied at Sturgis. https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/17/us/south-dakota-covid-surge/index.html

You think I like staying at home for the past 8 months out of spite?

4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    SDs Covid cases are because of something that took place almost 3 months ago? Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.
    The article said they have the highest rates, PER CAPITA, not total. Why? I don't know but, I would suspect that they're now doing more testing than before. It's awful what happened to that woman's husband but, I didn't see anywhere that he came into contact with anyone at Sturgis. In fact, looks like it's on the other side of the state.

5. Kirkland

Kirkland Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2020
    Fair enough.. Though one can make the argument that there’s insufficient data showing what the long term ramifications are from these shutdowns. Any poverty, drug/alcohol abuse and depression that subsequently results in death that’s directly connected to said shutdowns should be listed as a Covid fatality as well. (probably would be more appropriate than numbers that are being presented now) But alas, I think there’s enough data that suggests these government shutdowns are more harmful to the vast majority of people than contracting the virus itself.

That’s not to say people shouldn’t practice due diligence and take this seriously.
    I often work in Hasidic Jewish neighborhoods and I’m appalled by the lack of mask wearing that goes on. But I do think there’s a lot of government overreach and cosmetic theater going on that’s doing more harm than good. (especially in states like California and New York)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kirkland

Oct 21, 2020
    He also was pushing 400 lb. (no exaggeration)

7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Unfortunately there are always going to be people who believe science and medicine can't be trusted despite how much they benefit from it. There are actually people out there that believe the Polio vaccine didn't actually eliminate polio. It was just a coincidence and it was going away anyway. I don't know how you can reason with people like that. There's so many "personalized" media echo chambers out there, ignorance is now king.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It's all bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    You should probably shut your computer off cause you may get covid through your internet connection!!! ..oh yes sturgis was in August , people are getting it now cause of the motorcycle rally..?.smh......I guess I'm lucky,I haven't missed a day of work,eat out weekly ,do everything as close to normal and I'm still here. I must be a medical miracle! Ps..I don't believe you get to tell me what I can and cannot post,and the other posters can like or dislike what I post because I'm pretty sure we still live in a free country where some of us can still think for ourselves.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    There sure seem to be a lot of armchair doctors for a football forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm really surprised this thread hasn't been shut down.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Kirkland

Oct 21, 2020
    Why? All things considered things have been cordial. Dialogue among opposing viewpoints is healthy and ultimately vital.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Well discussing the COVID impact on the games is one thing, but some of the debate going is not related at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Kirkland

Oct 21, 2020
    As long as it’s respectful I don’t see an issue. Strange to get so used to suppressing dialogue.

15. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    It affects football, currently affecting our preferred like/love of team and so forth. Nothing particularly disrespectful in my opinion is going on... Just a bunch of dialogue of sorts by 3 sides.

Those that are pro the ever changing numbers/stats of talking points based off of their sources
    Those that are anti the ever changing numbers/stats of talking points based off their sources
    Those that simply stake their claims out of frustration based off of experience/lack of distrust for any and all waivering talking points.

We continue to argue numbers, legitimacies, origins on a world spectrum and oddly enough do the same in regards to the league's team by team basis week in and week out.

I personally am fed up and over with it all on any stage and primarily so due to the lack of consistency in any and all of it.

Nobody agrees with any of it regardless if it's the media, water cooler talk, or plain O'l personal experience. Just another handy old decisive topic in reality.

And the hardest part of any of it is that we are arguing, cowering, stumping for and or against an actual "yes" actual virus that boasts a 94-99% success rate of beating across most concerned age brackets BEFORE considering outlying factors which are the primary additives to this bug.

Real life and bad habits far eclipse the daily or yearly stats of the death toll this virus has reportedly boasted and Even if the numbers are true, 250,000 dead here on US soil due to the virus... There was no need to tank a country much less the world over it. No conspiracy needed in that claim. This virus was talked about by scientists in 2005 and certain therapeutics were known to assist in combatting it but yet all we were told was shut it down and old talking points didn't exist... Like this was all brand new and what not.

It's garbage all of it. The fighting, the drawing lines in the sand, the picking sides... All of it.

I respect there is something out there I also understand that it's not the end of the world and I really think the cart was put before the horse and done so in a way to make predictable folks predictably lose their **** when it was never needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Let's keep the discussion civil and try to stay football related. Sharing a few facts, personal experiences, with COVID, etc. is generally OK. However, making statements about "science deniers" on one side, or about the disease being something trivial on the other are just going to lead to the kind of bickering that gets threads shut down. As I said in another thread, we have people on this board who have been affected in many ways. Some have had tough personal experiences with COVID, some have lost people they know to it, and many have been affected economically/emotionally to the impacts on society. This is going to affect a person's perspective. Before making some sort of broad statement about COVID from one side or the other, keep in mind that it's probably going to hit a raw nerve for someone who has experienced the impact of COVID differently from you, and then think twice about posting it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    On your first point, I'll call BS. Covid does cause heart attacks.

2nd point you make, no. Add up all 3 and it's still less than Covid. Since the under 60 crowd has a lower death rate should we be allowed to fuel the spread that kills that many people and injures many many more? Most everyone I know under 80 is pretty damn healthy these days and probably deserves the courtesy from the rest of us to try and protect them. This can get much worse than it already is.

Nothing else on in the US is over whelming hospitals ICU's ...this is the point. We don't give cancer and heart disease to people by talking or breathing next to them. If the cure to the virus only required you to eat healthier, quit smoking, lose weight we probably would be taking a different approach.

What about the people that need quality care for other issues...they get to visit an over run / under staffed icu or er? good luck. As viruses like to do, they spread and can spread rapidly as we have found out with the nearly 270K- deaths in 8 months. It's the 3rd leading cause of death in the US.... behind heart disease and cancer and it happens to you rapidly. If all of a sudden a single cancer was killing this many people and filling ER's and ICU's we'd be in a panic even worse.

If anything else was killing Americans at this rate it would be a national emergency as we are doing. The current mortality rate in the US is the highest it has been in over 50 years because of a single virus that we currently can't control because people refuse to take measures to slow it down. This is just 8 months of data so far AND we don't know the long term effects of the virus. Death is not the only bad thing the virus brings to the table. To insinuate that it's death or back to normal is wrong.

18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I hope Steelers can avoid Coronavirus as much as possible until the season is over. My rural county is getting rocked by Covid-19. We had over 100 new cases last Friday alone. I've been wearing masks since March... but there's still many idiots around here who don't take the pandemic seriously. This is gonna continue to escalate and it wouldn't surprise me if Covid-19 ended up killing more people than our Civil War (600K) when it's all said and done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Marvology

Dec 10, 2019
    2,831 deaths so far today. Either tonight or tomorrow we're going to reach "9/11 in a day" fatalities. But, don't wear masks people it's a conspiracy to make your lives miserable!

• Agree Agree x 1