1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bye Bye fans.......again

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by THREE RIVER SHIVER, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    One other thing on the data. I seem to recall, that NYC data is/was separate from the rest of NY. Messed me up the first time through the data.

2. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Im sorry if that's your take away from my post. If you think I am in some way trying to belittle a pandemic, subscribing to and spreading a conspiracy theory, or suggesting that this isn't real, you're sadly mistaken.

My wife has worked as a Hospitalist. She's currently on standby for a couple of local hospitals. She's rounded in the ICU. Full ICU's. Near capacity units. Short staffed. Etc. In both local and large urban hospitals. She's currently the Med Staff President of our local hospital. She's the Medical Director of a local nursing home where she's in charge of implementing and over seeing CV protocols (only had TWO with recent surge). She's on regional boards and tasks forces for CV19 where she's on Zoom calls almost daily concerning the pandemic. Shall I go on? She's very well in touch with what is going on. She's not living in fear. Nor are her colleagues.

Again.....that's not to say that she/they are not concerned with or aware of the current situation. Or is it to say that it is a stress free walk in the park.

That also isn't to say that NO ONE is living in fear. Everyone is different and handles stress in different ways. However the overwhelming majority of people are not 'living in fear.'

**edit**
    Maybe that's the problem. What me and Ward see as stress others see as living in fear. Seriously. Could it just be different interpretations?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Damn! How old ARE you?

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ward uses living in fear for people who take precautions and don’t dismiss the virus. I don’t think your wife is not wearing masks and chewing her fingernails while at work. However if you are home and your hands are washed and watching a game, by all means, bite your fargin finger off, have at it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Good question!

6. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I didn't full vet Wards position on CV before agreeing with his post. Sorry if aligned myself with a conspiracy theorist.

I do still contend that for the most part people are not living in fear.

I really do mean the part about the interpreting stress though. Definitely stressful out there, but from what I see they're handling it. Stressed yes. Living in fear, no. Im used to seeing her in stressful situations and shes used to being in them. As are her colleagues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    So, your "gut" preempts science and data?

8. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    There's plenty of data on excess death rates too. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6942e2.htm

So, these science-deniers have to either reject the excess death rate that coincides with COVID spikes or assume there's yet ANOTHER conspiracy to kill a bunch of randoms everywhere on the planet.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A buddy of mine had a 2 page excel spreadsheet made up for his wedding of who was to do what and when. Each of our copies had our parts hi lighted. Even the minister had his copy. At the end of the service we all just stood there. My buddy leaned over to the minister and said to him you are supposed to say “you may now kiss the bride”. In front of everyone the minister turned to my buddy, showed him his sheet and said”it’s not on my sheet”. Even the minister was making fun of my buddy at his own wedding. :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  10. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Not gonna go back and forth with you ,its obviously a waste of time. But people who think like you are the reason small businesses will not re-open ,schools will stay closed ,and people will stay locked down scared in their homes because of a virus that is killing very little people ON ITS OWN..... THATS THE SCIENCE

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kirkland

Kirkland Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2020
    A friend of mine died of a heart attack but it was listed as a Covid death. I think the numbers have definitely been fudged so to speak but even with that objectively speaking the data leads 1-60 year olds being in more danger of car accidents, alcohol poisoning, and suicide than Covid.

The virus is definitely real but is most definitely not a death sentence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    A death sentence is exactly what it is for some.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kirkland

Oct 21, 2020
    So is the Flu and simply getting in your car everyday.

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    So is being born, as long as we're using random examples of things people die from.

15. Kirkland

Oct 21, 2020
    I mean, children are factually more at risk of dying from abortion than Covid so yeah, you’re right actually. Also those were not random examples. And unlike Covid there’s way less room for interpretation of let’s say death by car accident than there is the former. This is fact.

16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Comparing a car accident to a virus is where you lose me.
    Comparing this virus to the flu doesn't make much sense either, to me.

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The Steelers Fans. The official site for all your COVID-19 information.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Kirkland

Oct 21, 2020
    That’s evident though it’s confusing as to why considering they kill well over a million people every year. Yet we don’t decrease speed limits on highways to 30 MPH. Stands to reason that would save a lot more lives than implementing 10:00pm curfews for bars and restaurants.

Well they’re both viruses so there’s that. And if you’re 1-24 you have as about as good of a chance of dying from the Flu as you do Covid with both being an extremely small percentage.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You’re wasting your time.

20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Like I said, the comparisons don't work for me.
    Until we know the long-term effects of surviving covid, no one knows anything. That's all.

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I see that, thank you.
    I usually don't buy in.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Kirkland

Oct 21, 2020
    Apparently

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And lots of other stuff. I’ve learned new words on here, bar recommendations and got a few recipes. Occasionally something new or insightful Steeler related.

Plus all the new friends :drinks:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm not trying to change anyone's mind.

25. Kirkland

Oct 21, 2020
    Me either hence I didn’t quote you to begin with. Just stating facts.