1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bye Bye fans.......again

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by THREE RIVER SHIVER, Nov 23, 2020.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

265K? It was over 250k 2 months ago, so it proves my point that the death rate is falling

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The 200k mark was hit in mid-September, so it’s more like 205k around 2 months ago.

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    According to CDC, as of 11/25, 259,005 deaths nationwide.

4. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    No, go back and reread what I wrote and how I defined the death rate. It is what I use as a way to monitor the severity of the disease.

This is different than how you are defining, and Im sure different from the official CDC definition but I clearly explained the definition in my original reply.

5. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    My secret is........ Common sense!!!....don't be so damn gullable..Nobody can be 100 percent trusted...To many people with their own agendas

6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    The CDC also said only 6% of the death total was actually COVID certified... It was a flash in the pan report ignored by most but it is what it is.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I thought this was a football forum.

• Like Like x 3
  8. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    The nurses and doctors trying to save your parents and grandparents are living in fear. But I guess not everyone is such a tough guy like you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Hopefully we can stop counting morons also.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The money for games unattended is either refunded or applied to next year. Just an FYI.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The rate is falling. The standard of care has evolved over the course of the outbreak. Isn’t that reasonable?

Go Yinz Stiller’s n’ at

• Like Like x 2
  12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    That report was widely taken out of context. At the time of that report, 6% of death certificates simply listed COVID as the cause of death without further explanation. Most death certificates for COVID don’t just say COVID, but also list the more specific deadly effects like respiratory failure, dyspnea, pneumonia, etc. because COVID causes these deadly conditions. Some also list other conditions like the blood clotting that COVID causes in many patients (stroke, pulmonary embolism, etc.) when those effects contribute to death. The CDC never said or implied that only 6% of reported COVID deaths are due to COVID. It was just something that someone misrepresented in social media and it took off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    This
    The 6% are deaths with no co-morbidities. That's not to say that you dismiss the other 94%. That's also not to say that all 94% are truly CV deaths either.
    While it isn't right to dismiss the obese 65 year old with diabetes as not a CV death because of his co-morbidities, it also isn't right to consider CV as the cause of death to the 83 yo lung cancer patient who is on Hospice either.
    Nothing is black and white, even cause of death.

14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    No, it’s not black and white. The most reliable data is the death certificate data that has no specific cause of death attribution (i.e. deaths from all causes). The last time I checked a month or so ago, the US was around 250k deaths greater than normal and around 200k+ deaths above a 2 standard deviation high number.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Both my wife and my daughter are nurses and I can assure you neither are living in fear.

16. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    My wife's an md. Same thing. Same with every single one of her colleagues that I've talked to. That's not to say that they don't think that it isn't serious and aren't concerned about a surge in cases, but they just have a better perspective than everyone else. They're used to dealing with sick people, busy hospitals, and crowded icu's. It happens more often than the general population realizes. Its that the few Drs and nurses who are 'living in fear' get the media attention and everyone sees them as the norm rather than the exception.

17. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Seriously do you have a link to that? Not questioning it, Im just a numbers geek and would like to take a look at it. I honestly have a spreadsheet where I've been tracking daily cases, deaths, and tests. That's where I derived my 'death rate' from earlier in the thread.

18. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm still struggling with the Poincaré conjecture. Want to brainstorm?

19. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Beyond my pay grade. Im a simple minded man, so I stick with simple minded statistics.
    My wife, brother in law, or son would be the ones engage with that. :lolol:

20. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    It was either that or to call you a nerd. I've been known to use a spreadsheet from time to time myself. ;)

21. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    My B.I.L. being an engineer is the biggest spreadsheet nerd ever. He just went on this crazy exercise and diet binge this summer and dropped a ton of weight. Not only was he measuring and weighing his food, but he was using that data to track his daily caloric intake and expenditure on a spreadsheet to precisely nail his diet. He wanted to email me the spreadsheet so I could use it, but Im like, I watch what I eat.... but I ain't weighing my food and entering every meal into excel. I'd rather deal with a little bit of flab. :lolol:

22. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm with you. I've tried different diets but just can't stick with anything that has me counting points or needing a slide rule to meal plan. :drinks:

23. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015

really? so you're wife and daughter are both nurses and you are on a football message board pushing that agenda? yea ok. Healthcare workers that are working in ICU's and ER's that are near capacity while being completely under staffed tell a different story. Peddle your bs elsewhere, I live with a healthcare worker and personally know a ton of them that work in a large urban hospital trying to save these people. When there's a car wreck or a stroke ...who's taking care of them and were do they go? This is a big part of the problem as well. In normal times they deal with busy ICU's and lack of staff. Now it's a disaster in many places. why not try to prevent that? Anyone who actually works in it, tells a different story and most certainly would not be on a football message board belittling a pandemic that is injuring and/or killing a lot of people. Not to mention the families effected. The people in these ICU's are scared. Fear can be healthy btw.

Love the people also suggesting there's a conspiracy that people aren't actually dying in high #'s..... that all of these people in healthcare are in cahoots to spread false information to us all to make it seem significantly worse than it is?

LMFAO Yes, they're all in on this well orchestrated conspiracy to shut down our economy, scare the public, and what ever else for what exactly? for an election? Do the conspiracy people ever actually think about what it would take for their bonker ideas to actually be true? You think the people that are losing $ in all of this might not go along with it? Like the hospitals? Most healthcare related businesses and employee's are not profiting from this at all btw. They have a financial interest in this going away, as do most people.

BTW there is data that is real..and irrelevant to the cause of the death, the over all death rate has spiked in the US and globally. Another person here made a comment about this...it is a fact and well documented. Coincidentally at the exact time of the surge in deaths this "flu" has spread around the globe...maybe it's the masks killing everyone?

If you take the stance that "I'm healthy, I'm not that old, why would I care" then sure you can only consider your self . Screw everyone else right? There's plenty of names for that kind of person. I personally have compassion for the folks trying to tackle this thing...especially the workers in the ICU's and hospitals dealing with it daily. I also have compassion for the folks that may have underlying disease that could put them at risk of death... I don't think a person with diabetes or obesity, or what ever should be considered less of a human not worthy of our efforts to protect them. It isn't rocket science to conclude if we all slow the spread it will make it more manageable and less people will suffer. I remember when the greatest generation had no problem changing their lives and making sacrifices to help others in our country and around the world. What happened to that way of thinking?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Link below. The CDC, which has communicated things pretty poorly IMO through the pandemic, lists the page as "Excess Deaths Related to COVID-19." However, the "all cause" death data is available in .csv format, and despite the title of the page, their graph shows deaths from all causes, not just deaths attributed to COVID. If you're slick with Excel, you'll be able to slice and dice the data well. Their graph is interesting. You can see the spike above the excess death threshold in the winter of '17-18 when we had a particularly bad flu season. Then the deaths remained below the excess death threshold until popping up higher the last week in March '20, and haven't been below it since. The data is available state by state. It also looks to be available by age group, though I haven't done any spreadsheets with the age-related data. I did a lot of state by state calculations back in the late Spring, and the excess death numbers tracked pretty well with reported COVID deaths. Another weakness of the data is the time lag, and associated estimation for recent weeks, that they explain in more detail in their technical notes.

If you do some slicing and dicing, I'd be interested in hearing your statistical observations. I had done state by state stats for a while, but got too busy with work to keep updating it after around early June.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, the people I know that work in hospitals tell a different story, never heard them say its overblown and one came home in tears when the second wave started because she didn’t want to have to go through it again.

• Agree Agree x 2