1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

By sitting out this year Bell has dropped from the #1 RB to ???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TenaciousD, Oct 15, 2018.

1. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    I'd say by now Bell is looking like the 4th-6th best RB in the league now.

1. Gurley (by a mile)
    2. Elliot
    3. Gordon
    4. Hunt
    5. Barkley

The drop-off between Bell (assuming he's even in shape) and Conner is not very large now. Maybe Bell's good for an additional 20 yards rushing and 20 yards receiving a game over Conner?

What say you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What round do you think we could have gotten Terrell Edmunds in?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I hear he could have been had in the 4th or 5th round.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Bell cannot be ranked at all this season due in part towards his statistics and performance which are "Not Available."

To assume Le'Veon Bell is a top five Running Back this season due to his previous history is the absolute pinnacle of the social biases known as the "Confirmation Bias" and "Recency Bias."

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Probably could have got Burns in those rounds too.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Another Bell thread. Awesome!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. TenaciousD

Sep 10, 2017
    Thanks for the stats lesson, professor.

Btw, how are your rookie predictions looking so far?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Professional jet skiier

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    When ranking a player, most of the ranking will be from expected future production. A 35 year old RB that is lighting it up won't be ranked the same as a 23 year old RB doing the same thing .

The same can be said for Talent . There's lots of guys that are situation dependent .If their situation changes for the worse, their production will go way down .Those are the kinds of guys that end up losing their jobs over time, even though they once had very good production (Isaac Redman and Steven Ridley are prime examples).

Connor is a guy that is far more situation dependent. He's the kind of guy that will produce with a good situation, but if that situation changes for the worse and he's expected to be the focal point of the offence, then I'm guessing he'll end up losing his job. I simply don't think he's talented enough.

Bell is talented enough . So while Bell might not accomplish anything more than Connor has so far, in 3 years when our Online isn't as good and Ben is gone, will Connor still be able to get the job done? My guess is no. He's a slightly better Isaac Redman.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Pretty good I would say.

Terrell is doing well given his circumstances. Chukwuma likely will not see any time given the fact that the team elected to roll with Matt Feiler.

Biggest concern is James Washington. Is it a trust issue? Consistency perhaps? Not sure but if he is the deep threat player you drafted for, allow him to fullfil his role.

11. TenaciousD

Sep 10, 2017
    The problem with Washington as a deep threat is that he isn't very tall/long (5'11 with 32" arms) and he isn't very fast (4.55 40). Deep threats usually have both of those qualities like Martavis or at least one. Apparently his body and skillset is a lot closer to that of a RB than a WR.

From his NFL draft profile:

• High cut with body type like a running back
    • Top-heavy frame causes him to roll into breaks rather than sink sharply into them
    • Footwork inside routes feels clunky and lack of timing
    • Doesn't have skillset for fluid, complex routes
    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/james-washington?id=32462018-0002-5599-27dc-5f82fa873706

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You Watt Wacks alt account?

No sarcasm intended either. Watt Wack enacted on similar prinicples on players he did not like; Terrell Edmunds especially.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think Bell and his agent might have made a mistake. We shall see I guess. If it’s all about the money, he better make a lot of it. Teams are going to have a lot of legitimate questions about Bell after this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. TenaciousD

Sep 10, 2017
    Yes, please ban my original account Wack Watt. I no longer need it.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are on to something here. See my question up top that he avoided. Check the dates where one account ended and another showed up. Notice the trend of look at me posts....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't make no nevermind to me. Don't even care to see him again

17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Yup

18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    What say me, I say our offensive line is pretty damn good. During the Bengals game I thought Ben was Tom Brady the way he had so much time. (it really kills me when I see Brady hardly ever getting his ass handed to him like I've seen Ben destroyed way too many times) Of course Bell will have taken a drop from #1 since he is not playing. He has also dropped tons of $$$$$ by sitting out. Bell is a selfish piece of poop who I expect will get boo'd out of Heinz Field against Cleveland until he has a 76 yard run from scrimmage for a TD and just that quick fans will forget all the BS.

19. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Barkley and Kamara over hunt and Gordon.

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    This is what I'm talking about right here. He made a very fair assessment and everyone disliked it because hes not bowing down to conner. He is a good player but pump the breaks. He will never be mentioned as the best rb in the nfl like bell was and this was with how great Gurley and Zeke have looked they still said no this guy is number 1. Stop trying to act like bell is a nobody.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, he gave his opinion, no more fair or less fair then those that feel Conner is very good. Thats where you keep failing miserably, you think by giving Conner credit is implying Bell is a nobody. If he keeps producing like this he WILL be compared to Bell and all the other guys you are crushing on. The only thing he has left to prove in my book is longevity.

You soured quick, you just jumped on the Conner bandwagon and already agreeing with a guy that thinks Conner is slightly better than Redman. Sorry @shaner82 but I think thats a terrible evaluation. The line has been pretty poor this year and Conner has still had 3 great games. 6 TD's to Bells 8 in a whole season last year. The line would have to be playing out of its mind to be taking all the credit for that as well as his other achievements this season and they are not.

22. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. I see a guy with good power and speed and almost nothing else. There's no shortage of those guys around the league. The difference is they never got a shot to be the starter in a RB friendly system. RB is more dependent on situation than any other position. Just look at Gurley now compared to when he played under Jeff Fisher. Look at David Johnson under his current useless coach. There's a ton of RB's around the league that would produce good numbers in our system.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong and that Connor ends up being the man for a long time to come. That's one more pick we can spend on other positions. Remember though, Redman, Dwyer, Mendenhall, those guys are all considered to be good or even great by many, but they were all pretty mediocre talent wise. Dwyer and Redman were both over 4 ypc the year they were sharing the duties (2012 or 2013 I think). Mendenhall had 4 ypc for his career. Those guys would not put up those kinds of numbers on most other teams in the league, and the first time the Steelers were in a position to get rid of them as starters, they did so.

Talent sticks around, situation dependent players don't. I know which I think Connor is. Time will tell if I'm right. I hope i'm wrong.

23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I don't value TDs out of rbs that highly. Dont get me wrong a tub is a tub but One year Blount ran for 18 and most were in the goalline. If the qb sets you up and puts you at the goalline thats not because of you primarily. So TDs wouldn't be my measuring stick. Emmitt put up better numbers than anybody but it was clear he wasnt the talent a barry, walter, eric Dickerson etc... were. It's more to everything than just NUMBERS. Use the eye test. If it's all about numbers how was bell first team all pro last yr over Gurley who had far better numbers?

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And everyone here saying get rid of bell. That's saying you feel as though you will get the same production out of conor. And I'm not the only one that likes connor but acknowledges hes no bell.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Mendenhall was heads and shoulders above Dwyer and Redman, very underrated RB. Redman and Dywer didn't stick around because they were nothing special, regardless of system. Well, Redman I believe had medical reasons but I dont feel he would have lasted anyway.

Conner is not just a run you over RB, he leads the league in missed tackle attempts.

1 game like he's had could be a fluke, not 3. He's the real deal and those types of games will continue to mount.

• Agree Agree x 1