1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.

Butler's two cents

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    https://www.steelers.com/news/man-with-a-plan

Well, pretty simple thoughts, but, in the end, football ain't rocket science.

STOPPING THE RUN IS JOB ONE: “Same remedy we always try to use on defense, try to stop the run and get ’em in position where we know they’re going to throw the ball, and then try to rush the passer.”

RUN TO THE BALL: “What we always try to do and talk about it in meetings and stuff like that is make sure they’re running to the ball, everybody runs to the ball. Because we’re going to miss tackles, that happens. Hopefully we won’t miss too many tackles. If somebody misses a tackle, hopefully, we can run it down.”

MIX UP THE PASS RUSH: “I don’t think you can do the same thing all the time, you’ve heard me say that many, many times, or they’ll catch up with you and burn your butt. We gotta make sure we switch it up and give ourselves a chance to be successful.”

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think this season is pretty telling to see what Butler has as a coach. He is ok but his main problem is not adjusting during the game. not sure if that's Tomlins fault, butlers fault, or my fault but it should be addressed. Not saying we need to be #1 defense but our defense needs to show up and get some stops when the game really matters. (playoffs/div clinchers etc)

3. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    THAT and he seems way too tolerant of missed tackles. No wonder they suck so bad at tackling; their coaches think it's fine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Run to the ball, but maintain gap integrity and keep your position so as not to fall prey to misdirection

5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He didn't say that. He accepts the fact that players are human and will miss tackles. They can limit the impact of missed tackles if every player runs to the ball.

6. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Not good enough. If you aim low, you miss low. Aim high. Missing tackles is not acceptable. This is more Tomlin influence. "Everything is OK, don't worry."

7. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You are funny. I guess you would bench players that missed tackles since it's unacceptable in your world. That's a stupid stance to have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Keith Butler

“ if we hold the opposition to less points than we score, we win most of those games”