1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Butler is a genius after all....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thesteeldeal, Dec 15, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    “You can’t play them with the same stuff in the first half or the second half, you can’t do it”, he said. “He sees it, they do a good job of looking it up on the sidelines and they do a good job going in at halftime and see what you’ve done defensively and usually come out and adjust to what you’ve done that’s them a little bit. So, we have to make sure we are in good position to play them in the second half also”- Butthead

Damn you Butler, why would you want to share this rocket science with the world?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    In game adjustments?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Your silence speaks volumes

7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    if you say so

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I did not even read the article. Not due to the fact I detest any new information but the fact that Butler seemingly still has not gotten to the critical aspect of properly putting the players in position to succeed. It does not seem to matter who it is either.

Be it win out the remainder of the Regular Season or otherwise lose a critical game, Butler needs to go. As I said numerous times, a Defensive Coordinator who can play to the strengths of the talent given will in turn increase the overall performance of the defense. The talent is there.... for the most part. All that remains is the removal of the "operator behind the controls."

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    So now I fully expect he'll have Hargrave and McCullers covering Edelman and Gronk because it will catch them off guard. :shrug:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    How is the talent there? Other than Haden, where’s the talent on the back end? By “talent” I don’t mean height/weight/speed measurements. I mean football players who understand the game and make plays by executing their assignments as drawn up on paper and seeing what the offense is doing so that they’re in the right place at the right time. I don’t like Butler’s performance either, but realistically if we’re not complaining about the poor matchups that he puts us in we’re probably complaining about the ineptitude of the DBs not being able to cover those same receivers that our LBs can’t cover.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    .....and he still won't do it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hence why I said "for the most part." As you stated, the majority of the talent is on the front seven. That aspect I do not worry about much. Also, as you said, the defensive backs are not getting it done either overall. The most shocking for me is Mike Hilton. What happened?

Haden really is it cornerback wise. Sean Davis has not given up many big plays this season compared to Mike Mitchell; 5 for 2018 compared to 13 from all of 2017. Moreover to the fact and, unlike most, I believe young Terrell will come along.

Overall while the secondary itself is not doing themselves any favors by causing turnovers, Keith Butler is doing the entire defense
    ZERO favors through inexcusable and controversial choices within the gameplan. Why he believes Ryan Shazier is still out there is beyond me. For that matter and, this does bring two vaild questions, if linebackers who had elite level athleticism were so coveted by Butler, why not acquire likes of Darius Leonard, Malik Jefferson or even Fred Wagner in the draft? Why not use young Terrell in the details that was covered after the draft?

Makes zero sense to me. It is almost as if Keith Butler has maxed out his ineptitude.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I remember Wagner, wanted us to draft him. Haven't kept up with him in the NFL though, take it he's doing well???

Leonard is turning out to be a big whiff. One that will be even more painful if Edmunds doesn't shake out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Come on, Davis? He makes zero plays at free safety. His biggest play of the season was taking out Haden, a play he made FOR our opponent. Also, I understand that, statistically, “big plays” are defined by distance, but missing a tackle 10 yards downfield on 3rd and 12 to allow a 15 yard gain is also giving up a big play in terms of situational football. Yeah he’s been better than Mitchell, but that doesn’t make him a capable free safety. I hope he gets it. I really do, but right now he’s a backup caliber safety IMO. I’d like to see him as the 3rd safety because he does offer positional flexibility between strong and free safety. Edmunds has raw talent, but whether or not he has a bright future, his game is very limited right now. Hilton and Burns have regressed, and have me wondering if the Bradley fans have PSU homer blinders on. Who in the back end has gotten better? Anyone? Anyway that’s my rant on the talent in the secondary. Haden is a very good corner who is heading into the twilight years of his NFL career, and he’s the only player on the back end that is even an average NFL starter.

We’d better get tons of pressure these next 2 weeks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Going into this draft with the same glaring needs. Every draft is Groundhog Day :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know what happened but when your post first appeared there was nothing there. I thought you were speechless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Gee I wonder if he came up with this all on his own , or did the new Defensive consultant
    SMH

18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We keep reaching. William Jackson was our burns and edmunds likely not a first round player.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If we are accounting for just Edmunds by that metric then yes. The game has begun to slow down for him in comparison to what he was in Week One. Not exactly a "Night and Day" difference but it is still an improvement in my opinion. Regarding Bradley, as I have said before, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. Mike Munchak truly did wonders to the offensive line but that in itself took more than one year. Given Bradley's background, much like Munchak's, I believe he will turn it around in time.

I can agree with you indirectly on one aspect though regarding the secondary; outside of Joe Haden, there really is not any cornerbacks we have that would assist the defense at the moment currently. That HAS to be addressed next offseason

Regarding Fred Warner, he is doing great for the 49ers Blast! Seems to have quelled some of the ire of the Sna Francisco faithful for not taking Tremaine Edmunds in the First Round. I believe he is a prime candidate to do even better in year two.

20. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    You mean to tell me that good coaches make adjustments...... are you serious about this????!!!!

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Nah nothing to see here....fake news.

22. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Sooooooo, what your saying is that the rest of the league, you,play them the same in the first half as the second half? “ We do what we do....” explains the 3 game skid.... teams know what we do from the first 12 weeks, but the opponents make adjustments, while the Steelers “do what we do”

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Don't forget...KB has a boss too.

Apparently there's no oversight going on

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Just so long as his plan isn’t to leave Gronk uncovered in either half.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

here is part of that problem elvis. out of the top 10 tacklers on defense, 5 of those are DB's. davis is the team leader. when you are busy doing vince and bostics job you have little time to play the pass. 3 DB's out of the top 6 players on defense lead in tackles. that's a problem. just like 3 years ago butler knew we had to play more man against the patriots. we didn't have the players or know how he said at the time. the next year we played a man zone as he called it. nothing had changed even though he knew we had too. year 3 now, we finally get a DB coach and butlers scheme changed to....... wait for it....... zone with LB coverage on WR's. how are our DB's even put in position to succeed? don't blame the players or bradley when it all starts with butler's ineptitude. he just is figuring out we need to make adjustments? holy chit batman. really? :cool:

• Like Like x 1