1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Burns fault?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So, Tomlin said Burns wasn't at fault for Hogans TD but than why was he benched the rest of the game???

Sounds like Tomlin is wagging the dog again.

Leave Burns on the bench and hope there are no injuries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Have Sensabaugh sit next to him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not buying what Tomlin was selling on that one for a second. Burns was in for one drive. Somebody badly blew a coverage to surrender the Patriots' only touchdown of the game. Burns was then yanked from the game and unless I missed something, he didn't get another snap on defense the rest of the game.

Davis needs to read that better, too, but that was Burns screwing up yet again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Crazy to think if they don't allow that, they might of actually held the patriots to 6 points maybe? Who thought that would of been possible, I'm still happy we held them to 10.

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Outside of Hilton and Haden, our secondary is a continued mess.

I'm giving Edmunds the benefit of this being his rookie season. There is a continued flaw in both the talent and scheme in the secondary.

6. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    No need for Tomlin to kick Burns when he's already down. Steelers might actually need him to play at some point.

I have no problem with a coach, or any boss for that matter, taking the public heat for a player or employee, as long as behind closed doors corrections are attempted.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So give the usual answer about not wanting to get caught up in the minutiea of each play rather than lying to cover for Burns. Also, are they protecting Burns or the coaching decision to actually play the guy?

8. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    It really doesn't matter. The effect on Burns would be the same. That's just not good management, imo.

As for the coaching decision they corrected that after one play.

A coach does not owe us as fans the truth. A coach who throws his players under the bus on a consistent basis isn't going to last long.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    U know that is one reason I like Tomlin. It's none of anybody's business outside that locker room who's at fault.
    Why call him out in the media? That's why I like his pressers. He gives u nothing. I love it. All they gonna do is take what u say and put a different spin on it anyway

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Looking at the play a few times, I see:

Burns lined up opposite Gordon (wideout right) at the bottom of the screen. Gordon runs a slant across the field, Burns sticks to him the entire way—looks like man coverage.

Hogan and Edelman are stacked in the left slot, with Haden (I think) and Dupree (not sure, could be a DB) opposite. Dupree/DB waits, then delay-rushes Brady. Haden starts out with Hogan; when Hogan breaks to his slant, Haden diverts to Gordon.

Davis stands in the middle and doesn’t seem to attack either receiver; he drifts a little toward Gordon, then spins to chase him as Gordon is crossing. Hogan comes across just underneath Davis, who maybe didn’t see him as he spun and had his back turned.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    FWIW Steelersdepot did a breakdown of the play, they seemed to think Davis was at fault.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Burns seems like a fragile baby so maybe coddling him is the way to go.

When he was questioned about losing snaps earlier in the year he had a piss poor attitude.

Heaven forbid if Tomlin said he blew an assignment, he'd go to pieces.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
  15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He probably pulled him because that’s a communication that needs to be made and he thought having him in there when he was a new cog in the machine was partially to blame for a missed assignment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This... however I do not understand why.

Is the loss of his mother still on his mind? Has something happened with him and his wife? Something else?

What happened to him?!

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Reinforces the apsect of needing a Free Safety for certain.

That said, I seriously doubt Sean Davis is in any danger of losing his roster spot anytime soon. For better or worse.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    A non-answer is not throwing a player under the bus. A lie is a mark against Tomlin's credibility, meaning the media will be less likely to buy into what he's saying the next time he supports a player, and that time it might be deserved.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is educated speculation. Tomlin's actions after that play do not match his words. That's why I call bullspit.

20. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ya gotta wonder if Burns is a lost cause now. They gave him time earlier in the year, and when he screwed up, they gave him a chance to play thru it. They benched him, so that he could get his head together. They made a big deal about him practicing with flirst team last week - a key piece of the clever plan to thwart the Evil Empire. And then 3 plays in - he's done - screwing up so badly it would seem that the coaches immediately lost patience with him. Under what circumstance, can he get another chance now?

Other than an arrogant organization having to admit that they screwed up drafting him, why would the team want to keep him? Given his permanent in-the-doghouse status, why would he want to stay?

21. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Cause and effect is all that matters in this discussion. When Artie Burns was in, easy TD, just like the last 3 plays he has been in this year. When he is out, 3 points. Sorry, congrats to Tomlin for having his players back, but the reality is, never put Artie Burns in a game, ever. Cut him.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It is just educated speculation, but to me it makes the most sense looking at the film. On that route combination, the safety is the guy best positioned to take the crosser. I think the scenario that most favors it being Burns’ fault is one where he was supposed to be settling into his 3rd of the field in Cover 3 instead of chasing Gordon beyond the hashes. Possible, but that’s a passive form of Cover 3 that doesn’t fit with what we’ve been doing the past couple of years.

We’ll likely never know for certain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I absolutely get the logic behind your thinking and I have no problem believing Davis screwed up. He does it often enough, as he demonstrated against the Chargers.The fact that the Steelers started Burns on defense, then didn't use him there the rest of the game after that play just makes it seem impossible to me that Burns didn't screw up royally.

24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Funny how I got roasted in a previous thread for saying that maybe he should seek some mental health therapy. The kid has been a rock for his family, a lot of pressure for a kid, then becomes a 1st round pick and the expectations were enormous. Maybe he is just mentally broken. He has the physical tools.

25. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Hard to believe the picked edmunds with the first pick.