1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bud may have Von Miller to thank for his recent success

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dd63, Nov 23, 2018.

1. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    I've heard multiple people comment that Bud Dupree seems to have a better get-off this year, and according to an article on Steelers.com, it may have to do with some tips Bud picked up at an offseason pass rush summit hosted by Von Miller. Bud is quoted as saying, " Just being around Von and learning from him,” said Dupree. β€œHe is one of the best pass rushers in the game. You always want to get knowledge from him. It was classroom work. We did a little bit on the field. It was really just sharing knowledge on what they are looking at in the film room and on the field as well. I took away a lot of snap count stuff, hand usage, the stuff we try to emulate in our game. He just tried to share knowledge and help other guys out.”
    Let's hope he can make Miller proud this Sunday :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    This is why I don't think Porter is doing a good job. He was great when he played and he's shown himself to be good at improving College level guys.

We're not seeing the same success with pro level players. If Bud is just now learning what to look at in tape sessions, what is Porter doing with these guys?

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not one of the fans down on Bud, he was extremely raw coming out and was set back by injuries.

Don't know if he will ever achieve 1st round expectations but the guy is definitely getting better.

• Like Like x 1
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I originally thought switching sides may have played a part in his jump. Some players have a dominant leg as a lead leg in a staggered stance, but when I looked back at some of his replays, his lead foot changes based on formation and I'm sure play responsibility (dropping into the flat for pass coverage, the left was the lead leg for ex.). I thought being on the right side, he'd lead with one leg more than the other but it varied. I'll have to remember to watch the replays closer on when he has a good get off..

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Assuming Bud nabs eight sacks total this season, he is due for the extension. I do not believe he can be the double digit sack man I thought he was going to be coming out of college. However, should he be able to generate consistent pressure, then he should still have an impact.

If does not obtain that amount or generate enough pressure, back to the draft boards; a scenario that does not bode well for the Steelers future one bit UNLESS Artie Burns can somehow bounce back. Cornerback is a need that Pittsburgh cannot afford to miss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I see Bud coming back at least as depth. I do not see him coming back next year at $9MM.

7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Amen!

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't think you can take props away from Miller or Porter(lord knows we kill JP when guys play bad) cause it is pretty obvious that Bud has gotten better. However I also think switching sides has played a very big part in both Bud and TJ, jmo. Either way whatever it is I hope it keeps up cause I like it when we are talking about how well Bud looks as appose to how bad he looks cause that usually means we lost...........

• Like Like x 1
  9. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As the saying goes your players immulate their coach's and leaders!!! Porter was a very emotional player for the Black and Gold I don't see that in these Linebackers. Don't get me wrong Porter a lot of times went to far emotionally, but that was how he played I don't expect him to coach these players like that, but if they played with 3/4 the emotion Porter played we would have the #1 Linebacker corps in the NFL.