1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bud Dupree

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Ask Matt Moore what he thinks of the guy who's name is on his death certificate

2. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Are you implying that a 15 yard sprint straight at a QB represents the power Harrison has demonstrated in leveraging LTs for the last decade?

Because that's silly

3. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I like to dream that he has Von Miller athletics that just need to be trained... Dream

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Same. Who knows? If Kevin Greene gets hired and becomes our OLB coach, Bud Dupree could be the next great one.

I was on record that Bud Dupree was the best EDGE rusher from the 2015 class. Beasley nor Ray impressed me, Hunter I really wanted but a 4-3 sack machine he is, Golden is just relentless.... but that is it and the others did not entice me. Only Dante Fowler Jr. was good enough for our defense. Realistically, I thought Jacksonville would have snagged Dupree long before I thought New Orleans would.

Now that Dupree has been conditioned given the fact that was his shortcoming in his rookie season, I guess my prediction of his "sophomore explosion" will have to wait considering his abdominal injury hampered his second year. :frown:

5. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Nah, I'd never say that. *innocent look*

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If Porter is done as a Steelers coach, then Id absolutely love to get Greene in here. He has an eye for detail and finds weaknesses that can be exploited. Mathews said he is a film junkie and absolutely raised his game because of tendencies he'd point out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. It's not like Greene is just some former player without experience. He was an assistant with the Packers, and apparently a pretty good one.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Maximizing the potential of Clay Matthews seemed to do Green Bay wonders.

Imagine if Greene gets ahold of Dupree; a far more superior athletic genius than Matthews was. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Brady will play pitch and catch with whoever Ross is guarding ..Then if we roll the D to help him he will start hitting the RB'S behind it ...Miami moved the ball up and down the field Moore was like 29 of 36 near 300 yards what do you think Brady will do??Moore also took hits to fumble the ball that Brady will not take...This D can not stop NE ...Can we put up 30 plus and not turn the ball over? That is the question..

The Texans have a lot better shot of beating them than we do...They have a better DL than the Steelers.They have 2 real CB'S not just 1 like the Steelers,they also have 2 good Safeties not just 1 like the Steelers do...The Texans can play man to man and send heat if we play man to man Ross will give up 250 yards to his guys at least....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    thing is mr Brock cant do anything lol constant 3 and outs will kill them

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

The pats are favored, get this, by 16 points, the odds makers know brady will carve that texan defense up.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Ross play man-press and off man. He rarely is given help, the help over the top goes to Burns.

The problem for you, and many.... is that the only plays that you process in your assessment of his ability, are the passes thrown his way. Which means you are ignorant of his performance on about 80% of the snaps.

Ross is a good, solid corner.

With that said, the Pats have a mismatch nightmare in Edelman. Will be interested to see how we handle that matchup

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Vegas loves Chalk eaters that's how they make their money ...The Texans shut down the pass game the first time..I know no Brady ,but Jacoby is not horrible they held him to 103 yards passing...They can hold Brady to 225 or so I think..That might be good enough..

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I bet you Ross gives up at least half of the 3rd. down conversions..I watched him get turned around 3 times against Miami.. That is rule #1 for a CB..So a guy who gets spun around 3 times in 1 game is not a solid CB .......Did you miss those ?

• Like Like x 1
  15. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    What would you like to bet?

That's not even rule #27

I suggest you go watch the tape of Cockrell vs AJ Green from the 1st matchup this year. The Bengals were 4 of 16 on 3rd down in that game.

There's a great 3rd down play in the Jets game, when it was only 17-13, and Cockrell defends the play to Marshall.

FYI the Steelers gave up the 2nd fewest TDs to WRs and the 5th fewest yards to WRs this year... yea, our #1 CB had a big hand in that.

From PFF covering week 6 - 13
    "Since Week 6, Ross Cockrell has surrendered 0.25 yards per coverage snap, the best mark among cornerbacks."

Your perception of Ross Cockrell is poorly informed, and flat out wrong.

Here's a good breakdown of the Cinci game:
    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...s-cockrells-performance-vs-the-bengals-should

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So he has a lot of snaps and doesn't get beat deep, that doesn't mean he is good ...For all your Football knowledge I can't believe you don't know that don't get turned around is the #1 CB rule...I played CB in College and I heard it at least 100 times a practice to the DB group....If a WR can make you break your ankles or he can get you to spin around he has beaten you on that route period... Again I watched Ross get spun around 3 times in the Miami game..No way is that solid ...Most CB'S would get benched for that .....

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Yes, it means he's very good in our system.

He's an intelligent CB
    He has great long speed (he doesn't get beat deep)
    He shadows routes very well, even when eyeing the backfield
    He punches with the correct hand on every snap, and disrupts routes well enough, allowing to mix man-press into his coverage repertoire

He has lots of snaps, doesn't get beat deep, has many passes defended, and a very low YAC. What else do you want from a good solid corner? His metrics this year are better than Josh Norman's

It's really not. The idea that there is a "#1 rule" is just plain silly. What's most important is relative to the playcall. Getting turned around when you are playing Cover 3 on the outside with help inside (contributing to your read) and with the flat taken by a LBer with no other playside threat... is not nearly as bad as punching with the wrong hand thus allowing an outside release with no help over the top.

There are many "rules", and there relevance is playcall and formation dependent.

Please provide the 3 plays (time of game clock) that Ross got "spun around on". Let's break them down, along with the other 70 snaps.

18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't need to break them down I already think he is a fair CB at best ...When and if he leaves the Steelers he won't start at CB for another Team ...Norman is 10 times the CB that Ross is ....

19. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    The all 22 tape is really useful. I just re-watched every Miami pass play. There are not 3 plays that Cockrell got turned around on. Nice try though.

You have no credibility

20. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    I've skimmed over a few other team's message boards the last cple days. All I'm basically hearing is "that Bud Dupree is nasty". He's def. made a name for himself off the Miami game

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I shoulda played football. I am 6'3 and was 220 with 4.4 speeds.

now im 270 and just shart if i start running.

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How many did you see ?

23. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    all i know is with bud and james starting we have a watered down version of harrison and woodley in the prime. solid

• Like Like x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Which teams if you do not mind me asking?

I understand Bud's response adds fuel to his now hateful crowds fire but the reality is that these types of incidents happen in the game whether players want them to or not.

American Gridiron Football is a violent sport by nature. Having guys Dupree's size crashing down like is going to unfortunately reveal the brutal and insidious nature of the game; survival of the fittest.

Not saying you are wrong upon your last sentence, but opposing fan bases from sites that you read this from have to remember the context of the game. Otherwise, said opposing communities mis perspective of what the sport predicates itself upon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Are we really going to go down this "Cockrell is just okay" road again? :facepalm::lolol: