1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bud Dupree is the perfect candidate for a one-year tag

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Jan 6, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t think I’m missing the point at all. I would have to go back every year and look at each situation specifically. While it’s true we are always up against the cap we may not have been in as serious a predicament as this one based on the potential talent we may lose and the key positions they play. All situations are different. There’s being up against the cap and being up against the cap with a situation where significant talent could possibly be lost. Like I said one would have to go back and determine that. Sure they’re gonna make it work somehow in the end but fielding a 53 man roster with talent isn’t the same as just fielding a 53 man roster. Yes you can find bodies but I think it matters who....I think.

Edit: another reason this year is different is because of the 30% rule among a couple other minor differences being that it is the last year of the expiring CBA....

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe the writers shouldn’t write about it then and just let Colbert figure it out...:shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not trying to burst your bubble and typically you are right they need 5 million to sign the draft class with a majority of that money going to the upper round picks like the 1st rounder. However without the 1st and third beyond a comp pick that means you need less money for the draft which when you are looking at the cap and potential cuts that million and a half is the difference between keeping a guy like Hilton or having to settle on someone who barely made it out of the AAFL or XFL. It really doesn't matter to your point I was just working off it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I tried looking up to find how we were say the last 10 years but I can't find it. I do remember a year where we were over the cap at this time of the year and had to make moves just to get under before the "new year" started. That is what I am talking about, this isn't the first time. Yeah it looks bad now cause the tag is 16m but contracts go up every year. In 2017 the cap was 167m and last season it was around 196m.

My point isn't about what we have to do it is about what we have to work with. Every year we have no money and yet we still end up signing players. So if we tag Bud do you think we won't sign anyone, do you think if we lose Hilton, Feiler and Banner we will replace with a PS guy or draft pick.....I don't. That is what I am saying the guy writing this is just fishing trying to get clicks and I get it that is his job. However it isn't new news.........:smiley1:

5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I have read that some where.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes I do know what you are saying but in response to the link it really won't matter according to the writer if we spend 3.5 or 5m on the draft class we still have no money. Like I was just saying to thesteeldeal we are always against the cap and yet we still sign guys, imo we aren't going into the season with draft picks or undrafted guys to replace these players.

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well it might be news to some people who may not have been following it so close or aware of the 30% rule;).There may have also been some unaware of the potential losses or willing to acknowledge the potential losses by just handing Dupree 16mil. Like I said yes they will obviously have to fill the roster. Where these players come from I don’t know until they actually start filling in the missing pieces. What I am saying is the guys they need and have proven themselves in this system are here and now. Feiler( starting RT) ,Finney( back up C and swing G and I believe 10-2 when starting the last 4yrs) Banner( potential starting RT) and Hilton( starting slot CB). Keeping a majority of those guys should be a priority. You can’t just say heck we’ll replace them with cheaper options.

So my point is yes they can and will be replaced by someone but those are major pieces you will have to replace. When you factor in their importance, skill level and positions they play it’s not your typical cap situation where you have to fill in their spots if we lose them. Again I would have to know specific situations when we were in such a bind and the pieces we could have potentially lost we’re going to effect the quality of the roster as bad as this could get.
    The last year of the CBA is also playing a major role in our ability to make things work under the current cap. So that in itself makes this year different than the last 10. A new CBA makes this all go away so hopefully this just becomes something we had to talk about at the time....

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well anyone that will take the time to read that garbage should have knowledge of our team and the FA's, jmo. As for the 30% rule you keep talking about that is very little factor. What I mean by that is not knowing the 30% isn't going to change how the team does contracts. You are acting like these teams aren't allowed to do or redo contracts because of the CBA which isn't true. Teams are making moves all over so if contracts are being handed out and the league is still having a deadline for contracts then teams have to be told how to proceed that is just SOP. We may not know what is going on but I am sure these teams have been told how to move forward otherwise how do you run a business(team)?

Now how many times in the past have we released starters and replace them with nothing? We are not in new territory here this happens every year, the big difference this year is the size of the tag we are talking. If I recall we were gonna use the tag for Bell and we didn't have the space right and we made it. You have been a fan of this team long enough that you know we never have money, let's see what happens the next few days and that will tell a lot. jmo :smiley1:

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    How is the 30% rule of little factor? It is prohibiting the back loading of contracts to create salary cap space this year. A new CBA wipes it out but under the current set of rules it is certainly a factor.
    Edit: maybe not for all teams because they have cap space but for us it’s a factor because we can’t say ok Bud take 10mil this year and we’ll give you 20 mil the next 3 years. That’s a factor.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

That is my point the new CBA does but it isn't voted in yet. What is the NFL telling the owners to do, I don't know but what I do know is the NFL is a business and the business has to keep running. There has to be guildlines that the owners have to work with to figure their financials out, the NFL can't just say deal with it.....deal with what there is no rules. You and I don't know what is going on behind closed doors but I have to think the NFL is giving teams ideas what to do to move forward.

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I agree with what you are saying.....sort of. "The NFL is the owners" The NFL is made up of 32 owners and King Roger .....no?

If you and I make up the BSC (Beer Swilling Consortium), I don't think we would have to ask our permission before we could choose our next beer? Although I have been known to debate with myself on which beer I was going to drink next, I have never had to ask myself for permission:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

First and foremost the BSC is awesome and I would make that up with you any day lol......:thumbs_up::drinks:

You are right about the owners being the bosses which is even more proof that they will know what the future holds as appose to us. There are some smart peeps working in them there office's yall and I would have to think that if they voted no on the 30% they will have some kind of back up. The Steelers are not the only team that uses this it is in just about if not all contracts.

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You’re missing the gist of the 30% rule. It isn’t something that’s going to be voted in or not. It is in place because it is the last year of the CBA. It’s not something that is up for a vote. If the vote for a new CBA fails they will play the season under the old CBA which means the 30% rule will be in effect for the season.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
  16. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey AskQuestionsLater.

Yes, I too am glad that Bud has seemingly arrived. However, he put us in a pickle because it took so long. If he had blossomed one year earlier he would not be holding all the cards right now. As for Edmunds, yes again. I hope he finds "it". However, like this year. So, we are not in the same negotiating troubles that we now have found ourselves in with Dupree.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Not much to extend cam with or anyone else. We have to get compliant as it is now. I'd like to see him sign for 11-12 mil.. He was rated 10th best last year, I wouldn't pay him top 3 money. We shall see. They will figure it out. right?:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    There is a chart floating around that has the restructure amounts now that the new CBA is ratified and does away with the 30percent restriction and how the Steelers can clear almost 34 million by restructuring all of their big contracts. Hoping they don't do all of them because I hate how restructuring kicks the can down the road but it is needed now. Heck I think they can get 9 million just restructuring Ben

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Yea thorn, I finally saw that. I'm with you on the part that we need it right now but it's all due at some point. Especially if Colbert moves on and leaves the next guy in a mess when we will be trying to rebuild.:cool:

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with not trying to do all the restructures especially a guy like Tuitt who is hurt so much no need to push money down the road on him. As for Ben we are screwed anyways with him the next 2 years, so my take is why not free up money now and only get screwed next year with him? Yeah we save 19 mil next year if we were to cut him........IF. However we would still have 12.5 mil of dead money we are gonna eat so why cut him and lose that? I say free up the 9m now and make some obvious cuts and save 20-25 mil of cap space.

22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    They may not have a choice in whether to restructure Ben or not. Especially if Bud gets tagged.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Remember all base salaries increase too this year. So cutting guys and replacing gets more expensive no matter what. Taking 16 mil out of that money and pushing it to next year causes problems too. Ben's money, cam extension, no dupree again, watts option will probably be 10-11 mil., Mcdonald?, Sutton, juju, hilton again, feiler again. We still need a punter, long snapper, NT, 2nd TE, hilton, feiler, finney, and replacements for who we cut without further weakening the team. Again Colbert could walk away and say not my problem.:cool:

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

IMO it is one of the best restructures only because we are stuck with him the next 2 years unless of course you want to eat 12.5 m then you don't do the restructure. I don't want to eat the 12.5 mil so that is why I go with his restructure, jmo.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    It's official as soon as he signs it now. with the increase in base salaries we are now about 19 mil. over the cap.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020