1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bud Dupree is the perfect candidate for a one-year tag

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Jan 6, 2020.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I believe 2018 was the first time we have seen that big a presence from the Steelers since Mike Tomlin took over in 2007. For that matter, I do not believe Tomlin himself has ever went to the Alabama Pro Day up until 2018. That in it of itself tells me there was more to this visit than just scouting RaShaan Evans.

Keep in mind we got Joshua Frazier from Alabama. Nabbed Isaiah Buggs a year later. It would not surprise me to see Mike Tomlin head back to Alabama's Pro Day in 2020 to scout again; Terrell Lewis, Najee Harris, Anfernee Jennings or someone else.

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    So every team except Pittsburgh brings the house to the best team in college football's pro day.
    Actually, that makes perfect sense.;+)

• Like Like x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Obviously

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well, there you have it.

You said that Alabama has the best team in College Football. While this is true, there can be another aspect that is as well. Just because Alabama is annually the best team in College Football does not mean they have the best players at every position.

For example, comparing RaShaan Evans to Tremaine Edmunds is the equivalent comparing a Corvette ZR1 to a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport. One is great but the other is on another level. For that matter, in this year's draft, Jeffery Okudah is far superior than Trevon Diggs.

5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Last I checked, Alabama had more players in the NFL than any other team, and it wasn't even close.
    I get what you're saying though. My comment was 'tongue-in-cheek', hence the ;+). ;+)

• Like Like x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hi:

My apologizes.

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Carry on. :drinks:

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I keep saying keep grave digger over bud.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    yes, especially when you can have the money for Hilton, Finney and a FA. With the money they want to throw at Dupree, you could have possibly 3 players. Can they fit Hargrave in their too, I don't know what his market value will be. Spotrac has Diggers market value as $14mil/year. (just looked it up)

If that's the case, then thank you Javon, but we can only shop at wal-mart this year. lol

Now I will have to think about not being able to afford Dupree or Hargrave. So do you go for signing multiple players or go after the one player that will demand more?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Sign A.J. Green

13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah I think gravedigger may get $10m plus in free agency. No chance they keep him if that is his number.

I’m coming around to the view that keeping Dupree is just too costly, like you say you’d probably get three additional players for what they will need to pay him. They may have to pay TJ early too. Get a free agent or draft an OLB. Playing across from TJ would be an attractive setup for a FA

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    sounds pricey lol...

give me a lower level FA like Tajae Sharpe (Tenn) or a Dontrell Inman (Indy, LAC) or Geronimo Allison (GB). I don't think they look to add a big name FA imo.

15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    2 year window with robo-arm Ben.
    :hardrock:
    Green would be done for the season by playoff time.

16. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Honestly, grave digger will probably command too much... And I'm not sold on bud as I think he will want too much and just seems like a risky signing for big bucks. Save the money for TJ and hope to strike positively in the draft. I think they can be in position to get J. Scott out of Oregon for NT if he declares. Wouldn't mind seeing what they have in Ola if only for a year in order to not over spend on the position with Bud.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's not as if Adeniyi didn't play this season. He hasn't been good enough to displace Chickillo as the primary backup. That should tell you something. He just isn't making any plays when he does get in the game, except for special teams.

Dupree can take enough advantage of the attention drawn by Watt on the other side to make an impact. He was a significant part of the defense this season and they have no one in house who can bring the same things to the table. I'm not advocating a long-term deal, but the franchise tag makes perfect sense given his ability and the team's needs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I hear ya all day long... I'm just thinking above and beyond price wise. Bud had a helluva year but it's a gamble. Maybe it pays off? Who knows.

Tag him... Lot of money for a year. Sign him lot of money for the duration. Teams always up against the cap...tip O the hat to that desk.

19. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    So bud over digger? I'd rather pay digger but don't want to at all hahahahahaha I think he's more deserving per se but either spot can be carriedthrough draft or free agency or limped along with what's in the cupboard.

20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This is a great post, I have been one who don't want Bud for the long term. I would be fine if we tagged him this year but that is the most I want from him....I would prefer to go a different direction. Here is my thinking I am using Z. Smith's numbers as a base, he got 4yr 66m 16.5 AAV. Last year he was ranked the 18th best FA on the list I am using. Now you have to think Bud will get more cause that is how the NFL(and all sports) work each year top guys get more than the last. So going into this year the top guys are Clowney, Fowler, Barrett, Bud and maybe Judon. So let's look at the next group Van Noy. Kendricks, Klien, Vigil, Golden, Lynch and Beasley. Could we get one of these guys for under 10m AAV IDK but if we could get a guy like Beasley for 4/40 we could have so much more money for other guys like Hilton, Finney and a FA. Who knows where the numbers fall maybe Beasley get 18m a year but then use a different guy from the list, they all aren't getting 18m.

My point is we can't pay everyone, our DE's are getting 29m our DB's are both making over 10m each AND we have to sign TJ no matter what......or should I say WATT! People can say well look what Bud did last year well ok I will say it took him 4 years to get there and what is to say one of these others can't do the say especially with TJ on the other side? Tough decisions have to be made and if we can get a guy to replace Bud at half the price with close to the same production and keeping others with the left over money I am in. jmo

21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I totally agree with.. 5 years is not acceptable amount of time to await for a lb to be playing at their top level

22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Can the $16mil be better allocated? I think so. He is NOT that much of an impact on this defense, not $16mil worthy. $8 mil should find a fa that can produce 10 sacks with better run gap responsibility. $4 mil plugs the hole.
    If they tag him they better trade his unimpactful, non-game changer sorry ass.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    haha you and I both know how this is going to play out...

Colbert to Khan "Hey get on the horn and see if Ben, Pouncey etc can re-structure because signing Bud is our top offseason priority. Thanks let me know when they agree and hey remember we tee off in 30"

Joking aside, I am about 90% certain they will franchise him if they don't come to a long term deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think some other team will offer Bud an offer
    he will never be able to refuse and the Steelers
    will not be able to match that offer. Hence an OLB will be
    needed in draft.

25. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    but at least for this next season we can franchise tag Dupree and have him for one more year to see if this last one was a fluke or not...