1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bud Dupree Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Bud Dupree's speed, jump, motor, and instincts are off the charts the past 2 seasons, equaled only by TJ Watt. We must sign him to a long term deal!

Let's not forget the interior 3 linemen, who have also dominated the LOS. This has become the most disruptive and dominant D in football. Number 1 in run D and sacks. I almost feel sorry for opposing QBs, hahaha.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Clowney is overrated, that's why no team would give him a long term deal last offseason, he was looking for 20 million a year after having 3.5 sacks in 2019 :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Bud has always been good .He really only had the speed loop rush he could just be riden to far up the field and out of the play.. Credit to him for working on his power and leverage as he is now combing that speed with power and leverage for a sharper angle to the QB ...If he can perfect the swim,rip,spin and dip under to get inside he could be the best pass rusher in the NFL..

If I was Coach I would start with the spin let him perfect that and use his natural speed to get up the field on the inside once hes got that his opponent will start trying to hold him to stop the inside spin thats when the swim and rip comes into play ...

If I was the GM I would pay him I see much more potential for him....Seems like we can draft WR'S like nobody else so just keep feeling that spot with youth and save the money to pay other spots...We can't draft DB'S so keep trading for them and stop wasting picks that will free up some cash as well...

4. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I wonder, how much of this is the result of getting rid of Porter? Was he being coached all wrong?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Dupree will be signed to be the main pass rusher contract by another team. He will get paid. But he won't have the best OLB in the game on the other side. Watt has made him better. And Watt right out of the gate was a force, a franchise OLB. Dupree isn't. But as I stated earlier we can only hope he raises his stock the rest of the season to help the cause which is a Super Bowl Championship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I said freakish. I never stated best. Big difference.

Clowney still has that ridiculous first step. The issue with Clowney has never been athleticism. His issues lie in performance.

7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    He has TJ as his bookend and heyward in front of him..... Not to take anything away from him... He's been an absolute beast this yr, and has totally played his way to a huge payday, but as someone else already mentioned, if he leaves, he won't have the same talent around him to take focus away from him...... That said, there's no way that we keep him with our cap issues, especially with TJ to pay the following season.... Some team is gonna break the bank for his services (arizona, san Francisco, ny jets/giants chargers etc.....) And it'll be next man up (highsmith) in black and gold

8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe we can find a way to pay him.. To some playing on a winning Team and making a bit less is better than playing for the wrong organization.. He may very well take a 4 or 5 Million dollars a year less contract to stay on a complete Team esp if we can load his contract with great incintives that allows him to play his way to that contract ...If he is a Me guy then he is gone , but if a true Team player something might can be worked out....

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah he has that first step, but he doesn't finish and get sacks :shrug:.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

You are missing the point.

Athleticism is a big component in pass rushing. The more you have of it, the more disruptive you can be. However, none of that was my point.

When I said "freakish", I meant athletic ability. Again, I never said best. So again, big difference.

11. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Very trying indeed, but I am hanging in there. With all the chaos, I have been limiting my social media, but thanks for the well-wishes. I will keep popping on once in a while until things return to normal (fingers crossed). In the meantime, just know that I will never change, except that I have begun to tell kids to stay off my lawn as of late. I used to think old guys did that because they were mean. I have now learned that it is a reflex kind of like gas.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I would definitely consider TJ a freakish athlete.

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...n-to-the-cardinals-for-a-2021-nfl-draft-pick/

Remember when people were saying the Markus Golden would be a fine replacement for Dupree? He ended up taking a one-year tender with the Giants, who just traded him for a sixth-round pick. He had half a sack in the first six games before finally getting one all on his own Thursday against what is left of the Eagles' offensive line.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Dupree needs to have a big game against the Titans, he will be going up against a backup LT.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    my Bud Dupree arc..:lolol:

2015, 2016, 2017 - highly critical
    2018 - average NFL starter
    2019 - average NFL starter but finally hit his groove as the season progressed and ended up with a great year
    2020 offseason - wow that franchise tag money was steep
    2020 - he's kickin' azz

pass rushers will always be overpaid so I can't envision a scenario where he stays here with the cap in such a dire way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I wish Bud had worked to live up to his potential in his first 3-4 years out of college.

I wish Ben had worked to live up to his potential in his first 6-8 years out of college.

I wish I had worked to live up to my potential in my first....

19. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's contract time , let's see how he is after pay day.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    He could potentially get hurt after signing for big $$$. Might dial it back down for a few years on a scrub team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Best outside linebacker duo, best 3-4 D line. Our middle linebackers are a question now

22. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Still have to tighten up on the 3rd down and long plays, theyre leaving guys wide open.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is why they need to find a way to keep Bud. With him coming off an injury it may be possible.

From Labriola:

Once again the Steelers ended a regular season having led the NFL in sacks, with 56 in 2020, and even though Bud Dupree played only 11 games before tearing his ACL, he and T.J. Watt combined for 23 of those (41.1 percent). From the start of the 2019 season Watt and Dupree were the best tandem of 3-4 outside linebackers in football, and in their final 58 full games together, they combined for 49 sacks, 109 hits on the quarterback, 16 forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries, three interceptions, and 20 passes defensed. With Dupree about to hit free agency, and with the Steelers lacking the salary cap space to use the franchise tag or negotiate a long-term contract with him, this tandem is about to be broken up

The injury to Dupree significantly neutered the Steelers defense down the stretch in 2020, because even though the defense still ended up leading the NFL in sacks, only four of its 27 takeaways came during the final five games of the regular season, which is when Dupree was injured.

Labriola thinks he is as good as gone but he actually lays out a case for why they should do everything they can to keep him. There are a lot of teams feeling the pinch because of the lower cap and the ones who do have space may not want to invest heavily in a guy just coming of an ACL injury so I don’t think it’s as a forgone conclusion as Labriola thinks. It’s not only the sacks but the turnovers the pressure of Watt/Bud creates and he’s very good in coverage, too. He was a huge loss for the defense. Maybe Highsmith can be the guy but his sample size is too small to know and you can never have enough good players anyway. Bring back Bud.

(I know CK is pulling out his hair reading this.)

• Like Like x 1
  24. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Would love to have him back but with TJ due a monster deal and Heyward & Tuitt already on big contracts its not realistic. You can’t tie that much up in one position group without it eventually compromising other areas of the team. They need to work with Highsmith and get some depth at the position in the draft.

Bud’s future was decided when they extended Cam Heyward last offseason

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think a lot of Buds improvement came when Butler was demoted and took over the LB position.

With Tomlin in charge of the defense, Butler has proven himself to be a pretty good LB coach.

I for one am not counting Bud out of a Steeler uniform yet. Nice to hear that he is still at the Steelers training facility rehabbing. I do not know what kind of offers he is going to be receiving coming off that injury.