1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bud Dupree admits Steelers underestimated 'intelligence' of Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Sep 18, 2018.

1. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What was the trick? To leave wr's wide open and see how many throws he could miss? Geesh
    Why, do they ask the non facting player questions about the scheme.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Cause stupid sells....obviously

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    How do you underestimate someone's intelligence for 4 quarters??? Wouldn't your own intelligence tell you after the 1st quarter that this strategy is not working???
    Doesn't your own Intelligence tell you that you can't create havoc in the backfield if you stay hugged up on your blocker????

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Momma says" stupid is as stupid does."

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Mahomes played a great game. He appeared to make quick decisions and was accurate with his passes. Most 2nd year QB's don't usually play at the high level that Mahomes has shown up to this point. No matter what the Steelers defense did Mahomes had the talent and weapons to exploit them.

Bud spoke the truth. I will never understand why fans need to trash their own team's players.?? Maybe those people lack something in their own lives or have insecurities? why would players want to play for fans who trash them? And people wonder why players like Bell are out for themselves.

Sometimes people need to learn to give credit to the opposition instead of trashing their own.

6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I tip my hat to the kid... I think he can be one of the next goodn's.
    Of course this D in its last few seasons has been pretty good at making a few "just a guys" look like pro bowlers and it's sad.

7. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Take a look around the league. That's the league now days. It's what the owners wanted.

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well in Dupree's case it's because he talks too much and makes nothing but excuses. He is a 1st round pick who is on the cusp of being a total bust. He said the strategy was to confuse him....ok it was pretty obvious it wasn't such a good plan very early in the game .....hey Bud " what ya gonna do?"

Edit: and oh players don't play for the fans they play for the money and without the fans they wouldn't be making any. It's a fans right to criticize....

9. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I here ya... However if this D's problems are the new league exception/expectation, then what the heck are we all bitching about?!?!?! I have no doubt that the league favors the O... it would be asinine to think different. Yet, other teams haven't gotten the "Ye must field a ****ty defense on Sunday's" memo I guess.

Can we please get those expedited to level the playing field??? PRETTY PLEASE????

10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I love Dupree. Best Steelers pick ever!

Disagree if you agree :D

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    you beat me to it

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That falls squarely on coaching. It's MT and Butlers job to make sure that doesn't happen. Why they don't approach each team and game as if it's the SB I don't know. Cockiness? Believing they are the more talented team?

I don't know but quotes like that piss me off.

13. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Just another way of saying the Steelers "overestimated" their own intelligence.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is who we didn't think he was!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  16. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Thisx1000...

Sorry gang I'm trying to unlock and channel my inner me me me so that I can get to the root of some of this teams issues hahahahahaha

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    wow I didn't see the CBSsports link earlier.
    If that's what the players are saying, that's a little embarrassing that once again they underestimated a opponent again.
    Did they not watch any film on him?
    Did he throw for 700 yards in college once?

18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree fully. I've believed they were overlooking and underprepared for many years now, but the nonsense we heard last year about them overlooking Jax in the playoffs just proved what I've always believed

19. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Pay attention.

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Here is what my fantasy for Tomlin's organizational meetings today is.

RF: Coach we wanna continue to build Ben''s confidence so I have come up with a game plan to spread the ball...

MT: F@●k Ben. I want you to give me a game plan that establishes the run and work PA off that, I wanna see seam routes to Vance and Jesse and your first 25 scripted plays to work the middle of the field off PA and pounding Conner. Then maybe a shot to guys outside.

KB: Fitz is a veteran but I think I can run some stunts and twists with some soft coverage to confuse him.

MT: Hell with that. I want a four man front with Dupree's hand in the dirt and lined up in the wide 9. I want Thomas in to cover the TE and get someone to collapse the middle of the pocket. I want a Tampa 2 look in the secondary with Burnett calling out the alignment . No free releases and no five yard cushions.

RF and KB: but Mike we don't

MT: I don't care! Do it.

It will never happen but it would show leadership.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Pay attention to what? I know what you're talking about but the rules don't excuse the piss poor play of the defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Because, and this is what I've gathered from MT's very own statements - this team "imposing its will" and "we will do what we do" is more important than, you know, strategy or making adjustments.

Honestly, when was the last time you've ever heard MT say in a post-game that "we made adjustments at halftime, but they just didn't work out well" rather than "we own our part in this" or "we're going to unleash h*ll next time"?

23. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    He hung 6 tds on us.. The D didn't underestimate the intelligence of Mahomes, they must have believed he was mentally handicapped.

24. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Honestly, I can’t recall any coach saying something like that postgame. Im sure someone must have, though. Help?

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    All this and a 5th year option... so amusing...