1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bryant removed from kick-off return duties

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Dec 14, 2017.

1. 65Toss-Power-Trap

65Toss-Power-Trap Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2017
    LOL. Sure.

2. 65Toss-Power-Trap

65Toss-Power-Trap Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Week 2, at Tennessee. Fake reverse on the play also.

3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Sutton is the more experienced kick returner, he had 46 returns averaged 21 yards and returned 3 for TDs, ju ju only had 16 returns, 11 as a freshman for 12 yard average, 4 as a sophmore for 12 yard average and only 1 return his final junior year for 2 yards, based on the stats sutton should be the returner, ju ju is dinged up with a ham string any way.........

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Is Sutton a Kickoff guy, I thought he was a punt returner?

5. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Whats the big difference, just catch the ball whether it's a punt or kickoff and run with it...........

• Like Like x 1
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :applaud: Good move. Maybe they used it as a motivational thing, didn't work.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I hope not. They need him in the offense, not getting that hammy worn down fielding kick returns.. With McDonald probably being shelved this game it's paramount that he stays healthy catching passes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know why either, but apparently there is... AB is never back there on Kickoffs?

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s VERY different. It’s simpler fielding kickoffs because you’re not going to have gunners in your face, and you’re not at risk of being hit immediately when you catch the ball. Kickoffs also follow an easier trajectory for the returner to field cleanly. It’s also easier deciding when to return a kick, and when to take the touchback. Punt returners also need shiftiness from a nearly stand still position to evade tackles before getting up to speed. That said, I think a good punt returner has a better chance to be a good kick returner than vice versa, so Sutton might be an option.

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Punts are harder to field and more open field type of running. Usually only 1 or 2 guys with a chance to make a big hit on a punt .
    On a kick return less open field more of a tough path with more guys available for big hits .

Not sure why they won't give DHB a try ? Kicks are a lot easier to field than a pass or a punt .Plus he has showed he runs pretty well on those end arounds . He is the fastest player on the field is worth a look at least .

11. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    A punt is more difficult because usually the returner only has a 2 yard window in traffic to make the catch where as the kickoff gives the returner more room to negotiate the return, there are returners that do both around the league but to find a returner thats good at doing both and hold down another starting position is a gem when you can find one, I think sutton can do both, play him to find out, .....

Belichick, a noted special teams aficionado, spent close to five minutes Friday breaking down the differences between the two positions. In a nutshell, punt returning requires much quicker decision-making, plus the ability to catch the ball in heavy traffic.

“Sometimes you only have a yard or 2 or a couple of yards to get into space, make a guy miss, break a tackle, whereas the kickoff is much more of a build-up play,” the coach said. “Because they’re so different, a lot of time you don’t have the same player doing both.”

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2017/09/bill-belichick-explains-why-not-all-patriots-kick-returners-return-punts/

12. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I was thinking this too. I was disappointed when they didn't look at DHB at QB early in the season when Ben was off target, or why he didn't get some touches when Bell was still shaking off the rust. DHB was worth a shot when we were running low at tight end. Clearly his special teams play shows he can fill in for Tuitt or Cam when they are winded. And not playing him at safety? This organization really has no idea what they are doing and are really missing out by not taking advantage of DHB's versatility!

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't agree with much of your DHB-Swiss Army Knife stuff, but I do agree with him having potential as a kickoff returner. He seems pretty good at the mental aspect of the game, I would see him being similar to Bryant in that role, but without the "hold your breath and hope he doesn't do something dumb" aspect. We'll probably never know whether they have tried this in practice or not. Kickoff returners with top-notch straight line speed are very dangerous because they don't necessarily need a lot of "wiggle" like punt returners. They just need to find a crease or two.

14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    That's pretty much what I said.

15. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Put Harrison back there and just get him to hit as many players as possible . Who cares about yards. He'll be the one doing the chasing.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Juju is never running one back. Ravens were scared of Bryant so were kicking them short. Since the new rules, Belichick kicks them short and plays the numbers. Trying to get you to start at the 15-20 every drive and stealing 5-10 yards. Put Bryant at the 5 and make them kick it into the endzone. It's a win if they do.

17. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016