1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Browns Intel

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by nor, Sep 9, 2017.

1. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Here's what I gather from Rotoworld, Spotrac, and Cleveland Plains Dealer articles:

With the Browns having 24 draft picks in the last two seasons, the fans were optimistic. Until the Browns cut Joe Haden, Myles Garrett got injured, Josh Gordon didn't excel, and the team yet again let talent walk when they lost Terrell Pryor. The team has the youngest roster in the NFL (avg. 24 yrs) and the youngest starting QB (21 yrs). Here are some quotes to show you the infighting that is happening over there now:
    1. When a sportswriter predicted a 6-10 record, a reader replied, "Looking at their schedule, who do you think they're going to beat??"
    2. A hurt 1st round draft pick, a rookie QB, no WRs, a rookie kicker, no veteran leadership,....we'll be right behind the Jets for the top overall draft pick next year.
    3. What's the point in having $61 million in unused Cap space??? Why didn't they use it?

Cleveland Offense
    QB DeShone Kiser--rookie, HC Hue Jackson quoted as saying Kiser had flashes in preseason but is far from a finished product. Jackson says he'll give Kiser a long leash. I interpret all that to mean, "He's not good but he's all we have right now and there will be some good and some bad. Oh well." The knock on Kiser coming out of college was his accuracy. And I saw what they were talking about when looking at film of his preseason games. He throws at covered WRs. The ball is in the area of the WR but not on the money many times. He reminds me of a skinny Jameis Winston. Strong arm and...well...strong arm and that's about all I'm afraid of.
    RB Isaiah Crowell---legitimate lead rusher for an NFL team. Had some good games last year, four games of 100+ yards and 7 TDs last year, just missed 1000 yards for the season but is taken off the field on third downs for Duke Johnson. Running Backs coach Kirby Wilson is high on him and the Browns are in contract extension talks with him.
    FB---Browns waived their FB so they're left with Glenn Gronkowski there. Not much there.
    WR1--Kenny Britt had over 1000 yards last year with the Rams but he's never made the Pro Bowl. Some argument that he's never had a great QB but he doesn't have a reputation as a great talent.
    WR2--Corey Coleman had some chemistry with Kiser in the preseason. Last year had 33 catches for 413 yards and 3 TDs. He broke his hand last season and missed 6 games. Played against the Steelers on January 1st and had 5 receptions on 9 targets for 40 yards and no TDs. There's better WRs out there.
    WR3 might be Sammie Coates or 2nd year player Ricardo Lewis. Lewis had 18 catches last year for 205 yards and didn't become a household name.
    TE David Njoku is one of the gifted TEs in this year's draft that the Steelers should have looked at, but Njoku has had a sore back and 'ball security' problems as a Brown and was listed as the third string TE at one point. Another young kid. Good luck Hue Jackson.
    LT Joe Thomas is the gold standard for Left Tackles. He is listed as probable against the Steelers with a knee injury
    LG Joel Bitiono missed a large chunk of August with a knee injury but is said to be full strength for the Steelers game. Considered a strength for the team. Put on IR last October with a foot injury against the Pats.
    C J.C. Tretter signed as a free agent from Green Bay where he was a reserve-turned-starter. He signed a 3 year deal that included $10 million guaranteed.
    RG Kevin Zeitler signed as a free agent from Cincy. Signed a 5 year/ $60 million contract with $31.5 million guaranteed making him the highest paid Guard in the NFL. Zeitler was productive in Cincy and shows the Browns are serious about strengthening the OL.
    RT Shon Coleman, second year player, played in 7 games last year and was said to 'hold his own' but frankly, Rotoworld list the RT position as a weak spot.

I'll get to the defense later.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    We'll crush them. They suck.

• Like Like x 3
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Nice synopsis

Oxymoron thread title