1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Browns getting a player back who tested positive Thursday? WHAT?!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...-positives-saturday-walk-through-at-1-pm.html'

I guess the claim here is going to be that the Browns who tested positive for COVID Thursday were false positives, but this seems like the league is violating its own rules to allow starting safety Ronnie Harrison to play tomorrow night. If Joe Haden's tests have been negative since Thursday and he feels up to hit, he should be allowed to play.

Of course, the bigger news is Denzel Ward will not play. He has been on the list long enough to be eligible to return Sunday, but I guess he either doesn't have the negative tests or he isn't feeling well enough to play.

2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Rules? What rules? The league violates it's own rules? Shocking. The league rules and punishments can be like water. Flow freely without any boundaries depending on the offenses.

Juju and some other Steelers dance after winning the division and some people around here lose their minds. Maybe, just maybe the Steelers received the "ok" from the league? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo people just rather.............. whatever.

3. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Hard to complain when Ward is missing the game. He and Bitonio are huge holes for the Browns that the Steelers *should* be able to exploit, but as I said in another thread, we never seem to be able to take advantage.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe it was a false positive.

5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Ridiculous. No way Harrison should play in this game.

6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    So, I don’t claim to be an expert here but here goes:

The rapid tests are known to have false positives. A false negative test is the worst, as people may not take necessary precautions. Anyway, one strategy is to administer the rapid test, then confirm with a PCR. PCR has to go to the lab and has a longer turnaround.

So maybe the false positive was the rapid version, then the follow up PCR was negative.

Or, the dude is positive but asymptomatic and they figured out a way to claim a false positive.

I don’t know the NFL policy. Has anyone else this season had a similar situation? Because if not, it sure does seem like they are looking the other way to let the Browns field a team.

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Yes! Ward and Bitonio are MUCH bigger than Harrison...Who frankly is not very good!

8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Business as usual for the 2020 season.

9. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Classic NFL. Bunch of dicks

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    What you wrote makes a lot of sense. If it is a proven false positive, then Harrision playing is more understandable.

I hope this isn't a situation where the NFL changed the rules to accommodate the Browns, or the Browns trying to game the system.

11. Franco

Franco Active Member

Sep 19, 2019
    It’s only 24 hour turnaround little late for that

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't know of a single instance in which a player who tested positive, even a rapid test, was allowed to play that week. The league is changing the rules on the fly again. They were getting more reckless about this late in the season, and they seem to be erring on the side of letting guys play rather than safety in the playoffs. That is just plain stupid.

To be clear, I don't think it is an intentional effort to hurt the Steelers. I do think it is a ridiculous decision that happens to work against the Steelers.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It isn't hard to complain at all. Of course, Ward and Bitonio are much more important players, but Harrison should be out, too. I know he's not very good, but having to adjust the lineup leads to more mistakes and miscommunication.

14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Clowns will be out of the news come Tuesday. Don't sweat it.

• Like Like x 1