1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brown's fair catches inside the 5

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by kwebste6, Oct 23, 2011.

1. kwebste6

kwebste6 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    As we saw in the 1st half, Antonio Brown seems to make alot of fair catches inside the ten. I believe more often than not that it will roll into the endzone. Brown is turning into a great player, his returns and receptions this year have been great. Was wondering if anyone else have noticed this. Thoughts?

2. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes. I've noticed it. I always thought that the "rule of thumb" was to stand at the 10 and if it's over your head, let it go.

3. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I don't mind it. Would rather have the five than the one, and if he's fair catching it usually means there are one or two defenders close enough to make a play on the ball if he lets it go. I love the fact that he has the confidence to catch the ball in traffic that deep. It wasn't too long ago that I feared punt returns for the simple fact that our returner couldn't cleanly field the ball.

4. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What are the chances a punt traveling 40+ yards hits at the 5 and rolls only 4 yards. Seems like there's some law of inertia that would dictate otherwise. But then, maybe Brown never studied law. Sorry, it was a Bugs Bunny crack that I couldn't resist.

5. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    knowing the Steelers' luck sometimes, it would hit the 1yd line with the tip of the ball and then bounce backwards and get fielded inside the 5. Can't recall which game it was last year, the ball did exactly that three times in a row ... :\
    Cue a holding penalty and there you go safety

6. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Or if he did field it, he was no threat to do anything with it on the return. Carey Davis or Gary Russell anyone? :shrug: