1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Browns defense today

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Because they had among the best ranked lines in 2015 but apparently there was a drop off in 2016.

Still have Joe Thomas whom Watt had his way with. Cant diminish that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    2014 they were good, 31 allowed. Then 53 or so in 2015, 66 last year lol 2nd to last and last place respectively. I want to see our pressure vs raiders, titans, NE, Baltimore etc. top lines from last year. I know it doesn't translate year after year but it's a good measuring stick. Pressures and hits are just as good if they disrupt the offense.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

That is fine but only a couple of issues..

Which safety on the Steelers has that level of range to play single high? In addition, Joe Haden has not been with us that long.

As much as many of us want to change the scheme, until we get the personnel, our current scheme will have to do. Besides, the penalties did us in just as much as their defense.

4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Mitchell, maybe Davis? Just need to keep everybody in front of you. React to the QB. Mitchell could lay the boom but Davis is faster. I don't think Joe Haden is the issue. I was trying to watch him all game. He looked to be pressing a lot and in man. He allowed what 2 catches? I'll take that all day. Problem would be William Gay or Watt or Williams on a WR or TE.

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This was pretty much what Golden was tasked with in the AFCCG. He reacted wrong, and we saw the results. Davis showed bad reads throughout preseason, and Mitchell has better strengths to utilise elsewhere.

I agree with AQL, we haven't got that kind of guy yet. Maybe Davis improves, or whoever we draft as Mitchell's replacement becomes that guy.

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Golden is trash and it doesn't work when you give 5-7 yard cushions most of the game. You also can't press everyone then leave someone with a cushion because Brady will just go to them. I just rewatched the highlights. He was getting the ball out in 3-4 seconds for easy 10-15 yard completions, plus yac. Got to press man and give your dline a chance and make him make a difficult throws. Then if all that fails and they do complete it, DB better be close to their man and make the tackle immediately. What's the point in giving 5-7 yard cushions, giving them easy pitch and catches for 10-15 yards, and then we are in zone covering areas where they aren't going and then everybody is pursuing him and he gets another 10-20 yards in yac. Our scheme is so flawed. I'd rather make Brady beat me with throws 20-30 yards down the field with a defender actually on the person. Takes longer to get down the field so gives your dline a better chance of getting to him. Get them in 2nd and 3rd in long and show man and fall back and mix in some zones.