1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Browns defense today

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Sep 10, 2017.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    That's the type of scheme, I've been saying for the longest that we need to run to beat the Patriots. Press man, stack the box, and then one guy high. Patriots run pretty much the same thing against us, stack the box and single guy high. As you saw... 1) It's tough sledding for the run game 2) Stops the short routes, screens weren't even working. 3) Prevents big home run plays. Only thing that really works is the intermediate routes. Only big plays we had was Brown catching the ball 15-20 yards and then making plays with his legs. Cooks is great but no Brown.

You have to make Brady throw the ball down the field as you saw against the Chiefs. They kill us with #2 all game. Brady isn't going to throw the ball right to Watt. If they run these same packages where Watt is out wide and drops into zone. Brady is going to kill us, just like Matt Ryan did in the preseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Greg Williams is a great DC. Browns D could be a problem down the road.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know why we couldn't have gotten Martavis going vs that scheme? Maybe work him on slant in the middle of the field?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    we play at home next time and I bet it's a different scene, given Ben and Brown are playing

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Worked extremely well against AB...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I honestly don't think they expected the Browns to play like this. Martavis doesn't work the middle of the field much. They pretty much eliminated him with Peppers playing 20 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Luckily nobody else in the league has an AB ;) Besides the catch in triple coverage. He made all his plays with tough catches then with his speed.

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Their d did seem to play good overall but to give up 185 yards to a single player isn't something we'd be bragging about around here.

8. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    If Ben was dropping back and having issues getting the ball to receivers, yes, I would say the Browns played very well. Kinda like how Aaaron Rodgers and Eli Manning have been and had issues today. If you watch football enough and aren't a complete dunce, you can tell when a defense is stopping an offense and when an offense is playing like dip ****s (Steelers today). It isn't that hard.

The idiots on the Steelers coaching staff decided to make life easy for a defense by throwing -1 yard passes and 4 yard passes when they needed 8 and Cleveland made the tackles and confidence went up and that's how it kept going. Until AB said enough was enough and started ripping them to shreds.

9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    185 yards but no touchdowns. No home run plays. 35 yards rushing and 70 yards receiving to anyone not the best receiver in the game.

That's a true bend not break to me. Not giving 5 yard cushions and letting a lacrosse player go off for 180 yards and 2 tds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Ironically they were actually giving about 25 yard cushions off the snap and at one point we needed about 4 yards for a first and they played 2 yards behind the sticks. Trent Green even mentioned it during the broadcast.

11. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    If Ben doesn't throw that tipped pick into the end zone, it probably ends up being a blowout. The Steelers came out with a soft gameplan, almost like they were just trying to get Ben into rhythm in the 1st quarter. It wasn't until they realized they had the best WR in football that they started moving the ball with ease.

12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    In other news... Joe Haden played well. He had an Ike Taylor kind of day. Never heard a peep out of him, because he was doing his job well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Offensive game plan was awful. Throwing the ball sideways is stupid.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think their going to give Ravens and Bengals fits when they play them. We don't have to worry about them until week 17 by then we maybe resting some starters getting ready for a deep run.

15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    They guy playing 25 yards off was the safety, Peppers. They press and make Ben and the WR beat the corner and then they got a safety blanket behind.

Agreed, they obviously weren't expecting this from the Browns. Now that I think about it. I think they were trying to beat them with the screen on the first drive to make them change their scheme and when that didn't happen. They had to try to break it the harder way.

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If we are going to throw those screens we need to run it right. First it needs to be thrown to AB or Eli only IMO those are the 2 guys with open field ability and the ability to make the 1st. guy miss. ie that's why those guys are punt returners.

Next we need the best blocking WR'S we have, or at least the bigger guys . I would use DHB and Bryant or DHB and the Outlaw . Let the inside WR block the outside guy and let the outside guy block the inside . It would also be prudent to run the Wheel route from the inside blocker a few times this keeps the 3rd. Defender who has force honest he can't just keep busting in there .

IMO the play can be effective , but all the elements I mentioned above need to be in place to increase the chances of success.

17. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Haden did play pretty well, but he looked to be a few steps behind on a couple of plays, that ended up being over throws. One may have been on the safety biting on an underneath route. Maybe a little miscommunication (to be expected) and maybe a bit of luck, but yeah, the end result was a good first outing.

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

If they dont get that Oline fixed that gave up 7 sacks, their defense wont matter......

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    The Brown have a tough schedule right out the gate facing each one of their AFC North division rivals within the first 4 weeks. We'll see how real they are starting with the Ravens next.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Oh I so agree but when Ike played here there was so much shiat talk about his play it was laughable..

21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Perhaps its speaks more about the quality of defense assembled then the bad Oline play of the Browns. Thought they had one of the better Olines.

22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Why do people assume that lol. Cleveland allowed the most sacks last season

23. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I do know that their LT is cream of the crop and TJ made him work his ass off

24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I never actually looked up stats. I read it or heard it. not sure where. Guess I will have to do my own homework lol

• Like Like x 1
  25. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    It's a good line.

Thomas is the best LT in the league over the past 10 years. Bitonio is solid. They brought in Zeitler who is good.

• Like Like x 1