1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Browns 2017 Draft Choice, 0-16, and an answer to their problems

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersfan35, Nov 30, 2016.

1. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    What a surprise, Cleveland could have the #1 pick again this year. At least they have the Indians and Cavaliers.

The 49ers only have 1 win, but their remaining schedule includes the Bears, Jets, Falcons, Rams, Seahawks.

The Browns remaining schedule isn't looking easy for them. Here's what left for Cleveland: Bengals, Bills, Chargers, Steelers.

Will they go 0-16, or will they upset someone? To me, it's not looking like that they'll win a game this season.

I think the QB that should be starting for Cleveland is Josh McCown. In his 2 years with Cleveland so far, he has a total of 14 touchdowns and 6 interceptions in 9 games. Even though that he's near or at the retirement age for his position, it would be beneficial for Cody Kessler's development and for RG3's attempt to possibly revive his career if he came back for another year. But, Cleveland isn't the best place for trying to restart a career that has or had potential.

The main problem that they face every year is their development strategy for their rookie QB's. They would rather start their rookie QB during his first season rather than letting him develop. Also, they have poor coaching and their overall team performance is bad as well, just like the 49ers now. Imagine if Cleveland pulled an Aaron Rodgers. They could've let Manziel, Weeden, or McCoy develop if they weren't ready to start. I understand that they don't have any star players besides Joe Haden and Joe Thomas, but during those years, they needed to have a better draft strategy: focus on rebuilding the entire team. They also should've signed a veteran mediocre QB to assist the young QB's development. They have one now: Josh McCown, but his time is running out.

I think that they need to make moves in free agency (an average QB would be nice) and to draft smarter. They shouldn't draft a QB in this year's draft due to their lack of success of finding "the next great QB". The free agent QB's that Cleveland should take a look at are listed here: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Maybe Jay Cutler or Tony Romo will hit free agency. Thanks to Dak Prescott and Cutler himself.

Overall, this team will take some time before they get back to the "glory days". But, I can tell you one thing, they will win a Super Bowl before I die, (I'm only 19).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Interesting points but I doubt that Cleveland will do such. It seems now that Cleveland wants to build talent from within and bring in players that can win them games other than the key position which is quarterback

On that note, at this point in time, Mitch Trubisky is the odds favorite for them. Multiple reports have surfaced that the Browns braintrust love the guy. As such, he is more than likely slates to be first overall. Keep in mind that Cleveland has a another first round pick to address the defensive side of the ball as well.

I will be intrigued to see what Cleveland does on draft day myself.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Talent evaluators are what the Browns need. The culture has got to change up there
    and they hire Hugh Jackson????????

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Realistically they have a decent situation at QB now for the development of a young kid. RG3 is a stop gap starter and could QB the team for a year or so while a top draft choice sits and learns how to play before being thrown to the wolves. RG3 is also $h!tty enough that he won't be winning that many (or any) games so they don't lose out on future top picks that could be game changers.

They have too many holes to fix in short order though. It won't be one player that is their savior, it needs to be a collection of guys. Draft Trubisky, try to surround him with more young talent and hope for the best. Maybe add a vet or two that really embrace the mentor role, even if those guys don't necessarily help you win games on the field.

They need players all across the field. Hugh needs to stay the course and I hope the FO let's him have a few years to see it through. Nobody could win with the garbage squad he has to work with.

5. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    The answer to the clowns problems won't be found in this draft, lol. Wipe out the whole front office, if you ask me!

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    They have had the top picks of the draft for a decade. If not the first overall, they are annually in the top ten. The problem isn't who they are drafting, it's what happens to them once they get there. Constant in-fighting and turmoil in the ownership and front office will not produce positive affects on the field no matter who you are putting out there.

They need a hands-off owner and a GM with a plan. Then give the HC an actual chance for a couple years to craft his wares. I order my breakfast from a waiter who loves omelettes and from a host who loves eggs sunny side up and I get a plate of scrambled Who-hash (to quote Dr Seuss, tis the season:smiley1:).

Plan the work, work the plan. They've had the clay. Their problem is the artist constructing the model.