1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

brown future

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Jan 24, 2017.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    look, I don't think there is any chance of him being traded. I had no worries that he would be brought back but I gotta say the things I am hearing concern me.

I had a conversation today about trading him. a guy I know whats to trade him to the bengals for McCarron and 2 picks

got me to thinking. say maybe the eagles, who need a wr, pick mid round. say they would give up a 1st and 2nd

would you trade Antonio brown for these 4 guys?

rd 1 malik hooker safety ohio st
    rd 1 corey davis wr western mich

rd 2 cordrea tankersley cb Clemson
    rd 2 ryan Anderson lb Alabama

or is there any 4 players that would make this a good trade? not asking for names. just wondering if a deal like this would make us better

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No. I dont trade known commodities, the best in the business for unknowns.

Think you guys are seriously overreacting to the AB stuff.

His FB Live foul up was the only significant thing his done wrong. Wanting the ball and dancing after TD's don't even move the needle for me.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. I don't know about the overreacting though. He embarrassed the coach and organization. They don't like the all about me guys. See Santonio holmes

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    If its a deal that you cannot refuse then you have to consider. Think about what Minnesota paid for Hershel Walker and what it did for the Cowboys in 90's. It ended up to be a horrible trade for Min in the long run

AB is worth more than Hershel, it just depends what's being offered or what's on the table. What AB is worth IMO is a future Franchise QB. The Steelers would (should) be set for years and something we don't have to worry about after Ben

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    They're not trading AB, but if they really want to, they're not getting a 1st and 2nd round pick for a guy with only one year left on his contract.

The decision on AB is: Sign him up to big money and hope he keeps his production after getting big money OR letting him play out his contract and walk after next yr.

I suspect they sign him, but Art II might pause to think for a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Holmes was traded for smoking weed.

7. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    In fact, he was traded because the Steelers knew that he was going to be suspended (4 games, I guess), and one strike away from a longer suspension.
    He wasn't cut because he smoked weed. If the Steelers cut the ones that smoke weed, Blount & Bell would have been cut 3 years ago and Bryant last season.

Anyway, Holmes scenario is very, very different than Brown's.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, you are correct, I didn't want to go into detail, i summed up :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steelers Sideline

Steelers Sideline Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    I dont think they will be trading AB anytime soon. I think they want to keep the core big players and build this team the way the have been doing. A lot is improving in my opinion.

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Antonio Brown wants to be the highest paid receiver. Ever. So does anyone think he holds out when they give him the Steeler offer? I do. Now I would like to see Brown stay as well as everybody, but, they have to think about Bell, and entertaining signing Tuitt early. And their are those who want to retain Timmons, he's not going to take small money if they want him back. Oh and Harrison. And so on.Guess we will see how this all pans out. Should be interesting this offseason...

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    No way I let him go and especially not for that metrosexual in Cincy. As much of a goofball as he has been of late, the facts are that he's a straight up stud on the field. He's not just some dude you can replace. Does he need to grow up? Yes. Does he need to get paid? Yes. Do I want to see him in any other uniform? Crap no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with everything but you just ask 2 very important questions that the steelers have the info on more than anyone. Let's say he isn't interested in growing. Let's say he wants to grow his brand more. Let's say he wants to be the highest paid wr in the league. I am sure he does. I don't know what that would be but I ain't sure I would be comfortable paying him that.
    Look I love brown. I am disappointed with the past few weeks. Especially if he was indeed pouting after a touchdown Williams scored.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Though I don't see Ben hanging it up, but if he does I expect Brown to be even more of a distraction with demands and such wanting out.

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    It's a tough spot for the Steelers to be in in the sense that if they DO try and load his contract with incentives based on behavior then his agent can just turn around and say "Well there's this OTHER team that will pay you whatever you want AND let you 'be yourself'" and crap like that. Time will tell if he was genuinely sincere in his apology.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    AB's not a bad dude. Ryan Clark was talking about him, said he's just so self absorbed he doesn't realize he is doing anything wrong but when you point it out to him, he's very contrite. I think that showed in his apology after the Facebook Live fiasco.

I think he can learn and grow. We'll find out if the Steelers feel the same way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

Hmm...

I am more impressed that more threads are not being made about how we are going to keep Lawrence Timmons over some quibbles regarding a prodigious talent. :lolol:

17. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    It makes me to sad to talk about losing timmons. I still hope he stays

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    He had some absolute studly plays this year down the stretch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Stallworth and Lipps should have a talk with Antonio Brown behind a wood shed

• Like Like x 2
  20. dexter402

dexter402 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I've said it in another thread, but this seems a more appropriate place to put it. 2 years ago, I never would have thought that they wouldn't resign him, but the more this stuff comes out, I can see them letting him ride out his contract and MAYBE tag him a year, even though they normally don't do that without intentions of resigning a player. He does need to grow up, but the bigger issue I see is he will be in his early 30's and on the downside of his career. Unlike Ward who never really relied on his quickness, that is what makes Brown great. Really quick, above average speed, but not a blazer, he will slow down. So do we make a receiver on the back 9 with some maturity issues the highest paid receiver in the league, when we could be breaking in a rookie quarterback? Not saying Ben is retiring next year, but possibly the year after and after that who really knows. We got rid of Burress for similar issues, and moved on from Holmes. Say what you will about being soft on players, we tend to draw the line with Diva/Problem receivers. Having said all that, I am not interested in moving him in the next two years, despite what happened on Sunday, we are a legitimate contender and Ben doesn't have many years left. Brown with Bryant give us a lot better chance to win, and thats what I am interested in next year.

21. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    These are the scenarios...

1) Make him honor his contract. Run the risk of him being a baby but should be a true contender for a Super Bowl. If he acts up or looks like we got no chance, could possibly get a 2nd or something for his rights. Do what the Cheatriots did with Collins this year.

2) Give him the huge payday. Given his tendencies.. Who knows he might be one of those athletes that gets the payday and quits. He might be more arrogant then ever with 40-50 more million in the bank. Should be a true contender but then have to deal with him after Ben retires and while we try to find a new QB. We saw how well he did with Vick and Landry Jones when he didn't force him the ball.

3) Trade him for picks. If 1st + 2nds are on the table you have to strongly consider it especially if there's a QB we like.

IMO it comes down to 1) How many years does Ben think he has left? 1 last year? Then definitely option 1 or 3. 2 years? Still leaning towards option 1 or 3. 3 years? Then you have to consider 2. 2) Is Martavis Bryant the same player off the weed and with a year off? Do you trust him to stay off the weed? If yes to both then strongly consider option 1 or 3. With Bryant stretching the field, I think Rogers could be almost as good as AB in a year or two. If Bryant is no where near the same player then strongly consider option 2. Lastly, 3) Is there a QB we really like in this draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Couldn't have said it any better. If he grows up and becomes a team player, watch out.

23. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    the only bad thing about all your options is they wont know until after next year. I don't think ben is gonna retire. I seen somewhere that he would have to write a 18 million dollar check back to the steelers. that aint happening. I think if no deal is in place that Antonio holds out.

24. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Ben is definitely playing one more season. I don't think he would just leave with no warning to the Rooneys/Steelers organization to try to find a starting QB. But I don't think it's unrealistic for him to retire after next season. If Brown lets them know he's going to hold out then that forces their hand to trade him. I'd trade him for like Pryor/1st/2nd. Any combination of a 1st/2nd/and a receiver that could contribute right away.

25. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    AB is supposed to be the best WR in the NFL. I'll add during the regular season, not so much in the playoffs. My question is, does it take the best WR (and one who wants to be highest paid) in the NFL to get to the Super Bowl? We all know that it does not. His attitude is left over from the "young money crew" garbage. 2 of them talked themselves out of town. Will AB be next? Sounds like the Steelers have put him on notice. I say offer him a fair deal with something in it to protect the team just in case he doesn't straighten up and if he balks at it, give him the Mike Wallace treatment. Offer it to someone else and trade him for the best deal you can get.