1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Broderick Jones at right tackle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, May 22, 2024.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not if they are out playing Him hands down. Chuks was probably outplaying Jones earlier on. I'm not saying You, but some don't understand the leap from college to the Pros.....some can do it surprisingly quick, but a lot can't. Also I would think the size, competition, and scheme that each player ran, and , or faced in college would have something to do with it.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This part exactly.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Where do you get this claim that Fautanu is a better pass blocker? I think I asked you this before, but you keep just repeating it without support.

4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    It is everywhere. I am pretty sure it was a podcast from either Noah's or the one by CHAT Sports that I saw it on.

Just google Fauntanu LT.
    https://steelersdepot.com/2024/04/b...roy-fautanu-at-lt-keep-broderick-jones-at-rt/
    https://stillcurtain.com/posts/stee...lossal-mistake-with-troy-fautanu-01hxvd1vwzv7
    https://athlonsports.com/nfl/pittsb...fensive-line-troy-fautanu-fit-expert-predicts

5. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Mostly what I heard is that Troy is further along than Jones was coming out of college. But Jones now has NFL snaps at LT and RT

Wasn't Troy projected at guard during the NFL draft broadcast? I remember that confusing everyone

This guys says he will play guard, lol

Last edited: May 24, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I posted that I think Moore will get traded.

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Because the NFL looks for traits at certain positions, they want guys who are tall and has the long arms.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This person did indeed state he would play guard. However and, as I said, some of these takes were taken before the NFL Scouting Combine. This one clearly was not but what isn't being accounted for is the fact that the scheme that Troy Fautanu played in zone based blocking scheme with multiple concepts.

If he were to be drafted by a man based blocking team... this would have been problem for while his strength is good... it is not sufficient for what the scheme itself asks for. For that matter, that scheme does indeed require more height and size for it. Given how the NFL is heavily adopted into the Shanahan/McVay styles of blocking concepts, this isn't too much of a problem for Troy; doubly so given the fact that Arthur Smith heavily, if not fully, deploys zone blocking as his form of bread and butter for his Offensive Lineman.

9. Jean74

Jean74 Member

Jan 1, 2022
    Not just tall and have long arms but if they are both consistent and healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Correct. :drinks:

Mind you, when I stated such, I left out that detail for one major reason; 1st Round Picks are often both consistent and ready barring extreme circumstances. For example, Jeffrey Simmons from Mississippi State University had a torn ACL while entering the 2019 NFL Draft yet got picked in Round 1. Years later and he is both a perennial All Pro along with being a Perennial Pro Bowler. On the flipside, these very same Titans chose Caleb Farley from Virginia Tech in 2021 despite the back and leg injuries he sustained. Suffice it to say that didn't work out for them.

Regardless though, the point remains the same; to even be considered worthy of the First Round in the NFL Draft means that you need to be among the best of the best of the best among the rest... 12.45% of such men being capable of doing so. The Top 20 like Troy Fautanu?!

A 7.78% chance. Why is this figure more important?! This figure is based on yearly conclusive evidence by the NFL Draft Advisory Board; only 20 players out of 257 total will receive a First Round grade. These grades do not make them infallible to criticism mind you. It does illustrate though just how difficult it is to even be among the absolute best among the best among the rest.

Hell, much like I did in 2017 via my draft predictions which you can read below, Troy Fautanu was not among them. Why?! For me, Troy was a Top 10 talent; much of the same I thought of T.J. Watt. You can even ask the likes of @Blast Furnace on how I thought just how comically impossible it was for T.J. Watt to even get to the Steelers at pick 30 for his talent, regardless of playing time, was worthy of banking on; his athleticism doubly so and no less. For that matter, I had Obi Melifonwu as my biggest target. Personally, I am happy I was wrong for Obi is a bust and T.J. will have a bust in Canton, Ohio.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I took a quick look through those and didn't see any of them saying that Fautanu is a better pass blocker than Jones. They seem to be basing this on Jones having finished last season playing the right side.

12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I thought the best part was from the second link. Fautanu isn’t a very good run blocker and never will be due to his height and small hands.

13. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Good point. We're not going to know if Fautanu is a better pass blocker than Jones until we actually see him play against NFL competition. What he did in college doesn't mean anything

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    A lack of height can actually make a player a better run blocker because it allows them to get leverage on a defender.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Right, that’s why it was the best part

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Khan said after the season that Jones is going to move to LT eventually.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    isn't that more of a coaching decision? both are first round picks you know. maybe he does but he's still practicing at both spots. both guys are. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Jones has to keep practicing on the right because Moore doesn't to play over there.

19. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    Finally someone with a little research and thought. The difference in arm length from the average LT is less than 1%! The difference in height is 15% below the average LT. Neither is a damning amount.

btw, I wouldn't feel so bad about 'leaving it to the coaches' to decide who plays where except for how badly they botched on Dotson. That was a huge coaching fail that lowers my confidence in their ability to evaluate OL.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    to be honest i think the two starting guards they have now are still better than dotson ever was. meyer wasn't his coach when dotson started here. his second year here was all injury and they pretty much moved on to replace him at that point. he started but there were other new players to try to bring along too at that point. the whole line was kind of a mess at that point. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  23. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Reports from OTA say Troy took some 1st team RT snaps today.

• Like Like x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe I have heard that for 2 seasons now.:shrug:

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That was before they had spent first-round picks on offensive tackles in consecutive seasons.