1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brock Osweiler

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Go Deep, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Go Deep

Go Deep Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Like the idea of drafting ASU QB Brock Osweiler! Reminds me of Ben as a draft prospect! 6'7" and mobile.

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    3rd, 4th, 5th round I could see it. But he'll probably be gone in the second.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He must have had a tremendous pro day. He's been invited to NY for the draft and some are talking about him as a possible first rounder now.

4. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I've heard ONE analyst says he's a first round talent, while others have agreed he's a 4th rounder... Which makes me think he goes late 2, early 3.

I'd love him in the 4th.

5. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    I just don't see it. I know we're probably going to pick up a back-up qb at some point, but there's a big difference between a back-up qb and a 2nd or 3rd round qb. The latter you're drafting to eventually take over the starting position, and it doesn't make sense to waste a pick here when BB will still be playing a few years after the original contract is over. If the 2nd/3rd round qb has a couple of starts and shows potential, he'll get snapped up in free agency, and you get nothing.
    I think we're still 3 or 4 years away from having to take a QB in the first couple of rounds.

6. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Depends on what you think of that guy.

The Patriots grabbed Ryan Mallett in the third round last year which I think was a good move. If Ben misses a game or two it's really nice to have a guy you trust to hopefully win you a couple of games.

Also, it'd be great if you get a Kevin Kolb or Matt Flynn type of guy that other teams want. The Packers got screwed in that Flynn played so well right before becoming a free agent, but the Eagles lucked out getting a 2nd rounder for their backup.

7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think Osweiler will eventually be a 3rd round pick. I think people are just enamored with his height.

The only QB I would advocate taking this year is BJ Coleman from Tennessee-Chatanooga. I would only take him if he lasts until the 6th round. I was fairly impressed by his performance at the East-West Shrine game.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Tall QB's need a clean pocket to give them that landing spot,
    We all saw how the former Browns, Arizona and where else he may have played.
    I think his name was Derek Anderson. He didn"t work out too good because they need that clean pocket.

9. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    huh? wouldn't it be more important for a shorter QB to have a clean pocket?

10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

The only other QBs I remember at 6'7" were Marc Wilson and Dan McGuire. Remember them? Yeah, I didn't think so.

11. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Ben's 6'5". Don't think its that much larger. And from what I've seen and read, Osweiler does have the ability to move in the pocket.
    He's been getting bad press on the NFL network, though. Think Mayock (or one of those guys) said that the best thing for Osweiler would be another year of college. Hard to justify coming out when you lose your last 6 games against the terrible defenses of the PAC 10.

12. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    At 6' 7" you need the landing spot, for there delivery. Oh well, over your head.
    Just as I thought.

13. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That's why Ben has been so great, because he always has a clean pocket :roflmao:

You're talking about leg room and arm length. He's talking about field of vision. If you're shorter than your linemen, you need a clean pocket to see. Of course, tall QBs need a clean pocket too. Hmm, QBs do better with good pass protection? I think you're onto something "their."

14. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    The more I read on Coleman the more I like him, and the good thing is we may be able to snag him late in the draft, round 6 or 7, and be in possession of a true developmental QB.

Other than Coleman, I really like Russell Wilson, from the Badgers. this isn't the Badger homerism coming out, but I really think he's the #3 QB in this draft, and my opinion would be shared by many others if he was 4" taller. He can make all the throws, is accurate, can read a defense, has college production at big-time D-I schools, is very athletic and mobile, is a student of the game and a film room buff, and somehow was able to make it all work by being 5' 11" and stuck behind that mammoth Wisconsin OL.

Wilson's only real knock against him is his lack of ideal height, but Brees, Vick, Garcia and Flutie all have managed good careers with being right around 6'. Oakland really screwed the pooch by trading for Palmer and giving away all those picks, as Wilson would've been a perfect fit for the run-heavy, PA offense. I guess that's why they're the Raiders!

As for Osweiler, I think people are focusing too much on his size rather than his ability. He has potential, and it could be realized in the right system, but he simply lacks the proven production that the quality QB's all seem to have. I think any team that takes him with hopes of him being an immediate franchise QB will be disappointed.

15. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I am talking about the landing spot for there follow thru, their gate is larger
    and they need more space to follow thru, this is why the Steelers always wanted pressure
    up the middle on Anderson when he was with the Browns and also on Brady with the Pats
    the taller QB's need space for their follow thru.

16. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, we already know that. But shorter QBs need room too, so they can see better. That issue is probably more pressing. And medium QBs need it too, for a combination of both reasons. And all of them need it so that they can throw the ball instead of getting wanged around. I'm not sure anyone knows what your point is.