1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

bring porter

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Mar 25, 2012.

1. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Unless the goal was to go 12-4 and get knocked out in the Wild Card round, the Steelers underperformed. If that met your expectations, congrats on a successful season.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Sage words from the 'Snack.

3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    No but i understand that injuries and bad games happen. Im not into blowing up the whole team due to injuries. That is what derailed our season not the players. Im glad the rooneys have my mentality vs some if the people on this board. You arent going to win the super bowl every year its a fact.

4. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah snack i understand where you are coming from and the porter thing was just a suggestion and its not worse then a lot of other ones ive read here. I doubt we will be decimated at olb this year but i just figured bringing him for depth would be better then moving keisel or bringing in a 37man year old chad brown in.

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :lolol: Well that's true.

6. NM Steelers Fan

NM Steelers Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Porter, done. Taylor, overrated. I think for someone to be not rated as average they have to step up when the time comes. Taylor didn't. He got burned when we needed him most. In the Denver game he played against a reciever that could get away from Ike trying to hold him and Ike got burned, bad. Great players step up in great times. Others fade off into mediocrity.

7. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    You really think that? A guy can be in the top 3 or 4 at his position all season long, but if he has one bad playoff game then he's average? Even in Taylor's case, yes he did have a terrible game, but most times when a CB is struggling he receives some help. He was all alone all game long because of our unusal anti-Tebow gameplan.

You don't think he's stepped up to be more than average before? If you ask me, the only thing our 2005 team needed to change in order to win a Super Bowl was a solid secondary, and Ike Taylor was a huge part of the group that stepped up. In 2008 he stepped up again, allowing only one catch through 3 quarters against FitzGerald, who was having the most prolific postseason ever. He did blow it late, but was again screwed over by a terrible defensive call. You could say that's more proof for your argument, that he fails in the clutch, but I think the first 3 quarters of the Super Bowl is clutch time. If we'd had an "average" corner in that game, it might not have even been close. I think he only allowed one TD in that whole 2008 regular season. That's average? He sure wasn't playing against average players. He always takes the best player; the Marvin Harrisons and Larry FitzGeralds of the world. And people get upset when he allows some catches or a TD when he's asked to stay on an island all game against the best in the world.

8. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Seriously agree with this. 12-4 due to a top five easiest schedule. 23-20 against a (2-14) Colts, 17-13 against a (5-11) Jags, 13-9 against a (7-9) Chiefs, 14-3 and 13-9 against a (4-12) Browns. We went 1-4 against teams who made the playoffs and lost in the first round to an 8-8 Broncos team. This team doesn't suck but it has deficiencies that almost cost them games against sub-par teams and eventually did against an AVERAGE team. AND you can't blame the Denver loss on injuries, it was 90% execution by personnel who underperformed...

9. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    1-4 huh bengals twice and the patz that sounds like 3 to but my math could be wrong

10. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    As much as I liked Porter's style when he was with us - the Steelers let him go for a reason - and I would doubt he has the same skill set that he had when he was here. So, I pass. :thumbsdown:

11. NM Steelers Fan

NM Steelers Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Sorry if I hurt you feelings, but I do think that Taylor is overrated. He holds to much. Sit down and look at the games. Towards the end of the season he started getting called for holding more and more. Was he really in the top 3 or 4 in his position all season? I know our pass D was tops, but thats overall. And as far as the Denver game goes, I think he would have played a hell of alot better had Clark been behind him.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Sorry if I hurt you feelings, but I do think that Taylor is overrated. He holds to much. Sit down and look at the games. Towards the end of the season he started getting called for holding more and more. Was he really in the top 3 or 4 in his position all season? I know our pass D was tops, but thats overall. And as far as the Denver game goes, I think he would have played a hell of alot better had Clark been behind him.[/quote:ivchs47r]

maybe that's it for the draft. it looks like denver is loading up and we may have to play there again come PO time. let's draft a FS at 1. markelle martin? :hehehe: :cool:

13. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Sorry if I hurt you feelings, but I do think that Taylor is overrated. He holds to much. Sit down and look at the games. Towards the end of the season he started getting called for holding more and more. Was he really in the top 3 or 4 in his position all season? I know our pass D was tops, but thats overall.[/quote:2hq78d71]
    My feelings? I disagree with your idea that unless a player plays at his best in the last game of the season, he cannot be more than average. I also disagree with the implication that Taylor has not done this in the past on the way to two Super Bowl wins. I wasn't even really disagreeing that you think he's overrated. That's a valid opinion, because his play has been inconsistend over the years (benched in '09). But he's performed too well during our winning years and our most recent year to be called average.

I will try to sit down and look at the games more.

Absolutely. But he would have been better with anyone behind him instead of no one.

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ike Taylor is what he is,an avg cb at best. He showed us all in the Denver game
    that he can't cover man to man. Is he in Revis's league? NO. Remember Bill Cowher
    benching him for awhile after he got beat like a rented mule, I believe that was against
    a Denver receiver also.There was a reason Bill Cowher benched him? There is a reason
    he didn't get big money offers from other teams when he was a FA. I will say this for Ike Taylor
    he is not afraid to hit, thats about all I can say about him.

15. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    The big reason he didnt get big offers is becuase he never hit the open market. Taylor is a very good corner and one bad game doesnt change that. By what you are saying troy had a bad super bowl against green bay so i guess he is just average as well. Manning brady and big ben have all had bad big games i guess they are just average also.

16. Somathus

Somathus Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Besides his few slips last year, Ike had one of the best years. Thru the first 6 games of the season, the #1 WR on the opposing teams (whom Ike covers when we play man coverage) had a total of ONE catch for six yards. That is sick

Our pass coverage was better then it has been in a few years and that was with an anemic pass rush.

Ike is a physical specimen and will be a starter for us thru the rest of his contract (4 years I think?)

17. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you might want to take a look at the two teams that played for the Superbowl, their records and, most importantly, who they lost to. A win is a win is a win. You here this said over and over but I"m going to say it again... every team in the NFL is shooting to go to the Superbowl, every team wants to win each Sunday and even when they are not in position to pursue their goals they are going to play someone who is and want to spoil their Sunday. 12-4 and playoffs is a heck of a year. We could have been the Colts, Jags, Chiefs and Browns but weren't!

18. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    A 12-4 season with a playoff berth may be good but that still doesn't change my opinion that this team underperformed. And there is a huge difference between underperforming and sucking so I'm not sure why you even brought up the Colts, Jags, Chiefs or Browns.

19. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    The team was destroyed with injuries all things considered im good with last season. To expect ir even think the steelers are going to win the super bowl every year is kinda ridiculous

20. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Every team has injuries. I don't expect the Steelers to win the Super Bowl every year but I also don't expect them to get bounced in the Wild Card game by an 8-8 team.

Congrats on your team having a successful season in your opinion.

21. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If you think Ike holds a lot, watch Revis play.

22. SSylvester

Oct 23, 2011
    Sorry, you're right. 3-4 against playoff teams.

23. SSylvester

Oct 23, 2011
    Ok let's look at that. In the regular season, Giants lost to Skins twice, Philly, New Orleans, Green Bay, San Fran and Seattle. New England lost to Buffalo, Pitt and NYG. So is your point that crappy teams win also? Sure maybe. But that is the EXCEPTION rather than the norm. That is why the Skins (5-11), Seattle (7-9) and Buffalo (6-10) had losing records. Because the MAJORITY of their games, they weren't good enough to win. Seriously, are you trying to argue that Pitt beating Indy (2-14) is an accomplishment? I very much disagree that losing first round of playoffs to an 8-8 team is a heck of a year. It was a facade built on wins over terrible teams that CONSISTENTLY lost.

24. PSYCHOSTEELER

PSYCHOSTEELER Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    :applaud:

25. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I go to the ravens board. Had to change my name a few times but I throw digs at them and LMAO when they respond
    No I will not tell you my name there. Anyone could be a rat in discuise haha