1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bring back William Gay....Yeah i said it!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bristerfan, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Bristerfan

Bristerfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    My first post so be gentile..lol
    Am i crazy for thinking we need to bring Gay back?? The last 1/2 of the season he was really solid...I know he has been the secondary's whipping boy..But maybe just maybe he's coming into his own? He's smart (according to the coach's) and a good tackler. At worst he's our # 2 again and we're one of the better teams in the league against the pass.. At best one of the young guys beat him out and we have a really good #3...If we can bring him back at a decent price i think it's a no brainer~

2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Congrats on your first post.. There is nothing wrong with showing some love for Gay. He did most certainly improve and I think all of the credit goes to Carnell Lake for coaching him up.

3. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    NEED to bring gay back? No.

But I wouldn't have an issue with it. He played well last year but I also think it's time to find our long term #2, and we will in Lewis, Brown, or Allen.

4. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not sold on the guy , we played against weak QB's last season

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No I would rather let Lewis start backed up by Brown and Allen. Gay cost us the Ravens game getting beat with a last second td time to move on, the Steelers can use that money on some o-lineman instead of paying Gay.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Let the chips fall where they Gay. If he stays, let the other guys have a legit chance of passing him and he can be a backup and special teamer. If he goes, he goes. Need to get the others on the field anyway.

7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    What if i'm Jewish? :D

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    :roflmao: :roflmao: you caught that too. :cool:

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    is this considered gay bashing? :roll: :cool:

10. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If they keep him, he better step up his game.

11. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He is what he is...which is barely average 14 games a year...and horrible the other two...please let him walk

Hack

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Actually clark gets more of the blame then gay. Why take the bait on the mid route when you have deep containment. Nobody was supposed to get behind clark on that play.

13. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    But you could say Gay cost us the game for his performance on almost every other play that game... Other guys played poorly too and there's blame to go around, including the offense. But Gay killed us that game. I've already finished it in my official evaluations, and he graded terribly and was picked on all night. He also gave up almost all of the other yards on that final drive. Not just the final play.

14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
  15. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Careful now with that Gay love thing :hehehe:

16. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Not that there's anything wrong with that... ;-)

17. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Re-signing Gay will cost at least cost another $1mil.

18. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    But - not having a Gay on the team may bring a backlash from the Rainbow Coalition!

I say sign him!

19. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You root for some odd players. Bubby Brister and William Gay. Here are a half dozen reasons why Gay didn't get pummeled like usual last year:

Tarvaris Jackson
    Blaine Gabbert
    Kevin Kolb
    Tyler Palko
    Colt McCoy
    Kellen Clemens

He is a nice guy with a great story, but an average corner at best. Please let him go.

20. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Not a W. Gay fan at all. For the last couple seasons i've constantly screamed at my tv for us to get rid of him just about every game. Lake seemed to stir something up in him this past season though, and he may continue improving. Some on here may have a point though about him facing weak QB's this past season too.

21. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    And old man Kerry Collins. I hadn't thought about it until you listed this group of QB's, but did we face the worst overall group of QB's in the league last season? I can't imagine it could get much worse than this group.

22. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    You all do know that he is on the market, right?

Rooney and team man the phones for calls on Gay <crickets chirping>

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    send him to the ratbirds and he can cover brown next year. hehehehehehe < evil laugh. :cool:

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I have always maintained that he is a decent #4 corner. You don't want him starting, and you probably don't want him as the 1st guy off the bench in nickel situations, but after that point he is probably better than most #4 corners in the league, and understands our system. I would bring him back on a 1 year contract. I believe someone above indicated that he would cost about $1 million. If that's his vet minimum number, it may be worth it for 1 more year until we have a better idea what we have in Brown and Allen.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not a bad idea, but you know as well as i do that he will be the starter next to ike if they do. another wasted year for lewis,brown and allen. :cool: