1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brian Flores is a bad coach.

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by FosterMorris, Jan 15, 2022.

1. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    There is so much hype around Flores right now. He was a good coach for the Steelers because without him we wouldn't have Minkah Fitzpatrick, a 25 year-old All-Pro S.

Flores wanted to play Fitz at S, CB and LB. I don't know how much he did but that's what he said in interviews. Fitz wanted out his first year with Flores...

Miami got a 1st from the Steelers for Minkah. They ended up with 3x 1sts in the 2020 draft. They took:

- Tua Tagovailoa 5th - Flores loved this pick. Had a beaming smile when drafting a QB coming off 76 TD to 9 INT his last 2 seasons at Bama throwing to 4x NFL WR. Two years later and Flores is having screaming matches with the QB he wanted so badly.

- Austin Jackson 18th - An OT who is so bad according to Phins fans that Miami's entire game plan and blocking assignments have to factor covering up for Jackson's mistakes.

- Noah Igbinoghene 30th - A CB who can't start. Has played in 23 games with 3 starts. 0 INT 2 PD in 2 seasons. Played 7% of snaps.

Now, obviously the GM had the final say on players but Flores drove off Minkah immediately and it worked out terribly for them great for us.

Just wanted to throw that out there with all the hype around Flores who is 24-25 as a head coach with no playoff wins (worse than Adam Gase who went 23-25 but at least got to a playoff game where Leveon Bell ran over his defense).

Flores is the latest member of Belichick's coaching tree to fail IMO. With Flores highly confrontational attitude teams should stay away and the one that doesn't will probably regret it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Some guys just don't make good coaches. Not saying He is , or not, but that's a fact. Just because a coordinator is great at Defense, or Offense doesn't make them a good coach. I can't count the amount of great coordinators out there that sucked at the Head coach position....Yet came back, and were excellent coordinators.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    That's fair. Flores could be a good defensive coach I guess. Flores has never been a DC but no doubt that was his defense in Miami. Finished 6th in points allowed last year but 20th in yards allowed. Don't watch Miami games but he did improve the defense some.

• Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I thought He was calling D for the Pat's in their last SB. No???

5. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Found this:

What is Flores’ role with the Patriots?
    After Matt Patricia left New England to become the Detroit Lions’ head coach, Flores was picked by the Patriots as his successor. However, he was not officially given the title of defensive coordinator just yet and instead is still serving in his old role as linebackers coach while also holding play calling duties. That being said, the 37-year old is de-facto the Patriots’ defensive coordinator in all but title.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Do you think that Belichick is able to more effectively use coaches with attitude problems like he did some players like Randy Moss, Legarrette Blount, Richard Seymour (not you AB)?

Benching Malcolm Butler and probably losing the Super Bowl as a result has to be the strongest message I've ever seen in terms of not putting up with BS.

Edit: When these coaches ho elsewhere they are usually bad to terrible. It doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe Belichick is just cheating in a way we don't know about yet? :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I just think with His bearing, and history He doesn't really have 2 worry about them. I believe most that come under Him mainly just believe in Him,and if You don’t :emperor:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    You are just so metal. You couldn't be more metal. It's crazy. I'm listening to Horndal and So Hideous this morning. Got some stuff out recently pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Why are You F**king with Me.???:shrug:
    So Hideous I've listened 2(I like ), but I've never heard of Horndal.

10. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Just being friendly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's cool. :thumbs_up:
    2 be Honest. I'm really not a Metal Head. Even though I listen 2 quite a lot of it. I would say I'm a Music lover. I'm a Huge fan of everything from CDB - Prince - Barney Kessel - whatever. Only thing I don't listen 2 is rap. There was a time I did that, but everything stayed the same,and only thing different in rap now than when it 1st came out is technology. No other music(if you can call it such) is as stagnant.

12. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah I listen to a lot of different stuff but mostly doom metal, punk and rap. Rap music has really had a creative resurgence the last 5 years. There's a lot of good artists right now but it sounds like you were never really that into it. Prince :thumbs up:

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think a lot of the surprise came because the team finished 8-1 and had a pretty good defense and seemed to have the team pointed in the right direction.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was into LL. Cool J, Public Enemy, Ice- T, NWA, Onyx and the Ghetto Boys, but if I turn on a brand new song 2 day sounds the same. Just the technology is better. Plus I thought it would be taken elsewhere....not dumbed down. JMO.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I made a list in Watercooler :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Supposedly, in front of the team, he told Tua he should have drafted Matt Jones. When you've lost the locker room......

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

This overall point is simply untrue.

Since Stephen Ross obtained 95% of the Dolphins back in January of 2009, he currently has 3 winning seasons; one of which belonging to Adam Gase. Brian Flores owns the other two. For that matter, Brian Flores is the first Miami Dolphins Coach to amass more than nine wins since Dave Wannstedt accomplished that back during the 2002 to 2003 seasons. Bear that in mind as that happened nearly a generation ago. To say that Flores is bad merely because he made some bad moves (the biggest one listed not even being of his doing in the selection of Tua) is quite unfair to a coach who really never had much control to construct his roster. Yes, he did start the season going 1-7 but turned it around going 8-1 to close the season out; quite the accomplishment for a team that, ironically enough, is being held back by the very same player both Grier and Ross backed during the 2020 draft.

If anything, if there is blame to be placed here, Chris Grier and Stephen Ross are the biggest ones to blame; doubly so in Ross' case. Yes, he is the owner but in order for a team to develop, construct and most importantly, maintain sustained winning, said owner has to give their Head Coach a chance. Tua should have never been the pick for Miami; Justin Herbert the one being heavily favored by Flores long before the the night of the draft. Flores did not even like Tua as much heading into that draft according to reports but that mattered little for Grier and Ross; both fixated on Tua. Since then, Tua has been shown to be a liability; Jaylen Waddle or otherwise while Justin Herbert has emerged as a legitimate Franchise Caliber QB.

Overall, while it is easy to look at Brian Flores' record and some of his own blunders; one has to ask this. Given Stephen Ross' comments to close the 2021 season as the entire Front Office and him needing to have a more "collaborative approach to work together", the message is quite clear for future Head Coaches. What is the message one may ask?! Quite simple;

I am the Owner and you are just a Coach. Obey my rules of me and my loyal followers or suffer the consequences.

Not convinced? Again, since the purchase of the team back in January of 2009, the Stephen Ross owned Dolphins have complied a record of 96-113. As for Chris Grier?? He is 47-50.... but again... of the three winning seasons under him... two came from Flores. Removing the two winning seasons Flores had under both Grier and Ross now equates to a 77-99 for Ross and 28-36 for Grier. Grier is nothing more than a puppet while Stephen Ross is the literal puppet master

In short?!!

Stephen Ross is the issue as issues cannot be solved until the become problems.... except this issue is here to stay I am afraid. Saying otherwise is ignoring the issue all together. Why NFL Owners believe they can be the next "Jerry Jones" without understanding how Jerry became so successful in the first place is something that will NEVER cease to amaze me.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Classic case of coaching. Flores has literally maxed out the abilities of both his 2020 and 2021 rosters far more than most thought possible. Ironically enough, the 2020 season that was spearheaded by Ryan Fitzpatrick illustrates just how much more Flores could have done had he been given the option to pick his guy. Granted, I was under the impression that Tua would be given a redshirt season due to the immense injury history he had in college in addition towards his hip surgery recovery. Sadly, that did not happen and he was pressed into action as a result of injury.

Just imagine what could have been for Flores if Stephen Ross just gave Brian Flores the option to draft Justin Herbert. Heck, even I will admit humbly that, while I was more nervous regarding Herbert than Tua entering that draft; Herbert's tremendous raw athletic tools and immeasurable potential more than made up for much of my worries. Look at him now.

19. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Jerry Jones became successful because he was smart enough, when he first bought the Cowboys, to stay out of Jimmy Johnson's way. When Johnson left, Barry Switzer inherited an incredibly talented team. Since 1995, when Jerry started being "Jerry", they have what, 3 playoff wins in 24 years? And we complain about Tomlin?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Jones started meddling before Johnson left, he’s the reason Johnson left. He wanted more control of player decisions and started making public disparaging remarks about Johnson. He didn’t like the credit Johnson was getting for the teams success. Rift just grew from there until they couldn’t work together anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    How dumb was that?? :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 2
  22. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    You never posted a link to prove Flores wanted Herbert before the draft.

Flores wanted Herbert in Sept. 2021. Can't wait for the storm he brings to the Texans or Bears if he gets one of those jobs. Will be epic.

Pumping up "not losing" regular seasons is just the Steelers identity now I guess?

Weird you think Tua is Ross' guy when the Dolphins tried to move up to take Burrow and trade for Watson. Seems like a lot of effort when Tua was Ross' guy all along. :shrug:

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Here you go... again,...

Article One.

Article Two.

24. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Flores' name isn't mentioned once. Just like I thought. Thanks for proving me right.

I know for a fact that Dolphins' scouts were overruled by Flores especially on the Igbinoghene pick. Why wouldn't they be on the QB pick? Yes, there were scouts on the Phins who wanted Herbert but Grier/Flores overruled them together.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Felt bad for my brother, he’s a die hard Cowboy fan, he’s a large part of how I became a Steelers fan because he wanted to bet me who would win SB X. I asked my dad and he confidently says to take the Steelers.

Anyway, brother is a huge Cowboy fan and could have enjoyed a legit dynasty but cut short due to Jones ego.

By the way, I won the following bet in SB XIII as well but he got some revenge in 95’ :noose:

• Like Like x 2