1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brian Flores fired…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Jan 10, 2022.

1. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Walked into what? Your supposed lame attempt at humor? Where was the joke at?? I must have missed it along with everyone else on the board. If it was a joke it wasnt a good one. You were going for hilarious upvotes on this one? or you just trying to save face? U should just stick to Tomlin bashing.

2. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I'm surprised at this insight from you good post!

I agree that the defense was badly set back by injuries this year but the lack of quality personnel didn't stop Lebeau from being fired for the 18th scoring defense in 2014.

The 2021 defense gave up 2483 yards on 5.0 per carry. Tomlin and Butler should both be fired for that. The standard Tomlin set for firing a DC he has himself met and then some. He should fire himself.

Not only that the defense couldn't stop top passers even being a base nickel defense. Herbert, Mahomes, Carr and Rodgers had no problems against the secondary. The secondary looked good vs Mayfield, Tannehill, Huntley but not against Geno Smith or Teddy Bridgewater...

There are 2 HOF in the front 7. The Steelers have an All-Pro safety they can put in the box. Tomlin refused to play in the base defense to stop the run.

On the defensive side of the football the Steelers are soft and don't excel at any one thing other than pass rush. Tomlin actually deserves a lot of credit here because that is a major change from Lebeau's defenses where OLB dropped into coverage more than any other team in the NFL by far. Watt is getting more opportunities to rush the passer which just makes sense.

3. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    That just seems racist to me. I'm not going to make lists of minority coaches. I'm not going to play that game. I think this has run its course.

I'm glad the Rooney Rule is enabling minority coaches to go further in the interview process than they might have previously been able. There are a lot of good minority coaches who are currently assistants or coordinators and I think there will be more minority head coaches next year in part due to the Rooney Rule. It's a great part of Steelers history- I guess we just disagree.

4. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Yeah, that's what I thought u would say. It's a shame though the rule even had to be put into place right??

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I would have no issue with Austin as the defensive coordinator as long as it not a puppet move. Tomlin needs to relinquish calling the defense.

I also said that they should look to the outside. Do interviews.

The issue is that would Tomlin hire someone who was a head coach? He likes his total control and lets be honest no coach on this team is a threat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    you're a moron. That's the punch line.

It was pretty obvious I was making a point that could be made for both coaches.

7. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    They're not even in the same position and only one has been fired, but ok. I'm just saying the correlation isnt quite there bro. Just try better next time....mmmkay??

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lot of people confused over that one. Also, they were supposedly the front runners in the Watson sweepstake because Watson wanted to play for Flores.

Could signal they are sticking with Tua.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I don't know what that means. It was a rule Dan Rooney proposed voluntarily no one forced him.

10. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I didnt say anyone forced him. I asked you a specific question, but I see u like to skip around. It's ok. I get it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    With both, one has to question how involved are they in the play calling. Is it them or is it Arians and Reid?

12. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Leftwich calls the plays. Brady vetos them. Hahaha.

Yeah you've got a point that people know that Reid and Arians/Leftwich are heavily involved in offensive design and play calling.

Won't know until they get a shot how good they are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So, getting back to the topic of Flores, and not bickering about peoples’ views regarding the Rooney Rule, my buddy who is a Dolphin’s fan viewed Flores’ demise as being due to poorly handling the offense, particularly mismanaging the OC role (they had co-OC’s this season). It didn’t help a young QB to grow.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I think J. Harbaugh is why Flores was fired.
    Some on this board (not I) had Miami being awesome this year, but most because they thought Tua was great.
    I think Flores did great with what He had.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Perhaps Tua is what he at this point. Chris Grier seems to like him a lot. For that matter, much of the debate during the 2020 NFL Draft within the Miami War Room was based around the fact that Flores did not want Tua. Chris did. Stephen Ross chose Chris' decision over Tua's. As such, Tua was the pick. Since then.... well.... Tua has not looked great... at all. Justin Herbert on the other hands though... has been sensational.

Realistically speaking, if I am Brian Flores, I would not be worried one iota in the slightest. Never mind turning around what was a nearly lost season for the Dolphins but he also has been able to max out Tua's abilities; Jaylen Waddle included. For that matter, even with Jaylen Waddle, Tua has been less inconsistent at best.

As @Blast Furnace stated, Chicago is definitely a top tier option to consider. My votes still are Jacksonville and Houston. (though my reasoning with Houston is based on DeShaun Watson returning without any legal penalty).

• Like Like x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Tua is good. Justin Herbert has shown to be much, much better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

More like Stephen Ross siding with Chris Grier; something I do not agree with. As an Owner, favoritism should be the very last aspect within one's mentality to develop a consistent winner. Then again, this is Stephen Ross and not Art Rooney II. Not saying AR 2 is infallible as bringing back Big Ben has been an exercise of a Master Class of Patience to say the least. That said, AR 2's successes far outweigh his shortcomings.

If anything, Stephen Ross may have more shortcomings than AR 2 has triumphs.... and that is saying quite a bit!!! :eek:

18. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Jason Whitlock suggests that there was a big rift between Flores and Grier, largely over the Tua pick, and Flores got out-politicked by Grier. I didn't realize that it has been almost 20 years since the Fins had back-to-back winning seasons. I don't think Flores will be on the street long.

• Like Like x 1
  19. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Exactly.
    I agree that Flores seems to have done a good job with what he had. I don't know the Dolphins roster very well so can't be too sure.

I don't think Harbaugh will go to Miami though.

"I love Jim Harbaugh. He's at the University of Michigan ... I'm not going to be the person that takes Jim Harbaugh from the University of Michigan." - Stephen Ross, Dolphins owner

That makes sense to me. Maybe Ross expects Brady to retire? Michigan alum. Haha.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This firing makes no sense! I know we all get a little frustrated at times with the patience that the Steelers organization exhibits when it comes to coaches, but I'd rather be that way than to fire a talented coach who obviously ended the season on a high note and had some momentum going into the off-season and into next year. And I'd take Flores as our DC in a heartbeat!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Something going on there. The whole Will Fuller thing was weird, too. Missed the whole season. Seems to me he didn’t want to play for them. Why?

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You can't accurately judge the talent on the Dolphins in 2019 based on their record in 2018. They tanked tanked in 2019, selling off key players for draft picks. The Minkah Fitzpatrick trade was only part of that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Nor do I.

Realistically, if I am the McCaskey Family, I am giving Brian Flores quite the pay day. Justin Fields has shown he has the ability to be much more than Tua has; Rookie or not.

24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The sad part is that the spirit behind the rule is being worked around. Dallas pretty much had all but announced Mike McCarthy as their new head coach so to meet the requirement they invited Marvin Lewis to interview which they can say who is more qualified than Lewis but they had no intention of him getting the job. So other teams can follow that example which is sad because they really do need an influx of new talent in the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Why?

It's the Miami Dolphins; spearheaded by Stephen Ross. Not too much more to be said than that.