1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brian Flores fired…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Tulsa

Tulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Hire Flores as our OC. I know he's a defensive guy but he has to be better than Canada.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Did I miss something? I haven't seen any news about Butler leaving. Is this just assumed, as his contract is expiring?

3. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Butler has to sign a NDA before Tomlin will scapegoat him. Can't have Butler spilling the beans that this was Tomlin's defense all along.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Rooney rule aka the token interview.

5. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    The funny part is you're probably not wrong!

I think signing an OC could be difficult because the good ones so often get promoted to HC right now in this QB league. It kind of makes sense to promote a positional coach to OC these days.

I'd like Leftwich but he's not going to leave TB for less than a HC job.

6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The Dolphins rallied behind Flores to go 8-1 over the last 9 games. There is no way he should have been fired. Their new coach will be the 11th coach they have had since 2004. To put that in perspective the Steelers have had 16 since 1933.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Hire him on the spot. 1) he’s much better than Gomer Pyle. 2) he’s too good not to get another shot at a HC position. Should someone poach him from us, we would get a third round compensatory pick

8. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wonder if there’s a big name they’re in love with?
    Jim Harbaugh?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    It's more like a catch 22. How do minority coaches get the experience necessary to put a resume together if coaches are usually hired based on experience?

Pretty sure only ESPN and SteelReal get worked up about this kind of stuff anyways.

10. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  11. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah that makes a lot of sense. The Harbaughs are disgusting people. There's a hilarious picture of John slapping or mushing Jim after beating him in the "Harbowl." I wonder if they are on speaking terms? :roflmao:

The Harbaughs are so petty. It's like they have no personality other than trying to win at even the smallest things whether running up the score against college kids or having Lamar Jackson run for 5 yards as time expires to maintain a record no one cares about etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Flores will be hired as a head coach by either NYG, Bears or Vikings. Why would he take a demotion for a DC job with the Steelers?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    As others have said, he’ll get a HC job most likely but the Steelers should definitely pick up the phone and try.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It doesn't help them get hired, it gets them an interview, how come Bienemy hasn't gotten a HC job yet then?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Splitting hares, getting the interview helps them to get hired. Can’t be hired without getting an interview.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt Flores will settle for a DC job, he might get another shot as HC.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I don't think the Vikings replace Zimmer with another defensive coach. Plus Zimmer had 14 years of experience as a DC and 8 years as a HC with a winning record of 72-56-1 with 2 playoff wins.

Flores just went from LB coach to HC. He really has very little experience. And he is 1 game below .500 as a HC. It doesn't make sense to me to replace a winning coach with 22 years experience with a losing coach with 3 years experience. I don't see it.

I think teams will go offense maybe Leftwich, Bienemy, Brian Daboll or Kellen Moore.

NYG I'm not even going to guess what they do but I bet it's not in the Belichick coaching tree BWAHAHAH.

Bears is the best bet for Flores IMO. It's got a history of defensive or tough football coaches. (Thinking Ditka has a defensive player's mentality).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Apparently you need to do your research about what the Rooney Rule is because apparently you havent.

20. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Flores has never been a DC. "Settle" seems a strong word for a high position in NFL coaching. Flores as a HC is 1 game below .500 and hasn't won a playoff game- he's not entitled to a HC job.

21. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Assuming what???

22. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    The Rooney Rule states that teams interviewing head coaches and GMs must include a minority candidate. Am
    I wrong?

It just means that Flores could get additional opportunities to interview for a head coaching position that he wouldn't get if he was white because he has so little experience and success at this point in his career.

It means Mike Zimmer who had to be a defensive coordinator for 14 years before becoming a winning head coach with 8 seasons experience could be interviewing for the same job as Flores who jumped from linebackers coach to head coach and is 1 win below .500 after 3 seasons. Flores would probably not get some interview opportunities based on his experience alone.

There's a good chance that Flores benefitted from the Rooney Rule already once because of how rare it is for teams to hire positional coaches to be head coaches. Freddie Kitchens in Cleveland is one example I can think of, Joe Judge in NYG another, Munchak in Tennessee another so it's not unheard of just rare.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We don’t do politics here.

• Like Like x 1
  24. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I'm not a political person. I can assure you of that.

25. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    It's not splitting hairs...you're essentially saying if I interview for a job as a minority I will automatically get the job...that's not true.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1