1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking Down Landrys Poor Night

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Charlie Batch called James out during the broadcast for missing that block that caused the bad throw by Jones.
    I know this is going to sound bad, but I thought that other than the int's, Jones looked pretty good. 4 int's is still unacceptable though.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Also this is the preseason, great time to find out what kind of timing your #2 QB has with receivers and a great time to find out what type of throws he can make within your playbook. If he has to play this year it'll help when it comes to game planning.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    During the game Batch criticized Coats for not fighting for the ball and saving that int.
    I disagreed with Batch on this. If you make a terrible trow and your receiver fights to keep it from being an int that's great, but don't get all butt hurt if he's unable to break it up. Place the blame and be mad at the QB for making a bad throw.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    My other concern is Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree. If we don't get some productivity from these two that means we will have to rely on blitzes that exposes our already weak secondary.

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought the pick 6 was legit on Jones clearly all him there with a small nod to Coates, the two in the endzones looked like they were trying to get film of guys working the fade and if he is told to throw the fade route what should he do. The fourth and final INT he was hit and the ball just went wonky can't help that. So I give him a black mark for the first , very bad the other three not sure what you can do to change that but film study and practice.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What needed to be done was for the QB to throw the fade a bit later and about 3 more yards further into the corner ..Anytime there is over and under coverage you never give the over guy a chance to make a play...The correct throw would have the over guy out of the field of play leaving the WR to make a play against the under guy only...The true way would be not throw a fade into bracket coverage , but if you must it has to be thrown in the very corner not kind of in the corner...

8. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    I think three out of those 4 INTs were on the receivers as I saw it, but what do I know?

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    One for Coates' lack of route dicispline and combative catch and the other for Jesse's whiffed block.

Either way... it is preseason.. so not worried.

Now if Bud Dupree does not play game 3.... then I will be a bit concerned considering game 4 is where backups play.

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The way Tomlin's been handling the pre season I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see more work out of certain vets in the 4th game. I feel Dupree is not the concern. It's Jarvis Jones. I believe we will see more and more of Chickillo.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Isn't Chick hurt?

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He got banged up in the Lions game, an ankle. Haven't heard much more about it.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I thought the fade throws were awful. Kind of like he couldn't decide whether to throw a true fade, or a back shoulder fade, so he threw it into non-mans land in between. I only watched them once each in real time (and didn't rewind), so maybe I'm being a bit harsh. However, in real time both of them screamed "bad throw" to me.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Dupree for me is a far greater concern considering that players usually see a big performance increase going on from year one to year two. I have no doubt he will succeed.. but it is imperative to see how much he has grown.

Regarding Chickillo... we are still not sure of what ankle injury he has. If it is minor.. there is a chance he will not see action for game 3.

As for Jarvis...

[​IMG]

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Here's my breakdown of Landry Jones poor night he played like :poopy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I don't like Landry but I had a revelation. Landry will be fine. He's a mediocre game manager. He was trying things outside his skill level to show what he's got. He can't throw fades like Ben, can't zip the ball like Ben, can't read defenses like Ben and can't call audibles like Ben. He's a huge drop off but if he plays to his strength which is basically handing the ball off and let brown and Williams/bell, Rogers do the work, then if our D causes turnovers and bos hits 60 yarders we can hope to win %50 of the games if Ben goes down. Protect Ben, win a bowl.

17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Basically the drop on Landry is this... He's gotten better every year. He also doesn't look like he will ever be a starting quality QB. If he plays within himself and has the normal weapons around him (AB, Bell, etc.) and a game plan, he'd probably look alright. But that's all I think he will ever be. An alright back up.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    So what can he do that's good...... Think we could of or should do better then what we have. Like some of us said months ago, Ben is the one I worried about, just throw it away when necessary and don't get sacked which leads to injury. Ben should be a little more Brady like because without him were are really, really hurting. Again this was a front office issue for not seeing this and fixing it. It's not Ben's style to throw it away but better then taking hits. It's for the same reason he is not playing in the preseason to not get hurt.

We may have the worst backup QB's in the league. So in order to get no. 7 we have to have a perfect season with no injuries, and too many things have to go right.

I believe the front office knows we need help in the secondary and TE positions and they tried to fix it with drafts and picking up of Green. Where I think they were stubborn and sticking too long with the backup QB's and the outside backer Jones. In today's NFL you can't wait 3, 4, or 5 years to develop players, especially when you don't see improvements in player developments like in Shamarko, Cortez, Jones, and Jones. My only beef here is that we sometimes stick too long on their mistakes.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

they are seeing improvement in jones though. he was never brought here to be the next ben. what we had was old and fragile. jones was brought here to do what he is doing first. if by some chance he exceeded that then great but he's never been the heir apparent to ben. there are not too many charlie batches out there if everyone hasn't noticed. the improvement is happening at least by these accounts. http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/training-camp-statistical-recap-14-practices/

:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Spot on, Mac. No backup in the world is going to help us get number 7 if Ben goes down for the year. Season is over no matter who's behind him.

Landry won one and lost one last year, what you'd expect from a back up. I really don't give a crap what he does in preseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Thank you, Landry just needs to go in and limit his mistakes if Ben goes down temporarily. If Ben is out for the year I don't care what anyone says, I hope we tank lol.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

If some people want a back-up QB who continuously plays like crap, then that's their right. I don't know what the answer is because there's not much out there, but personally, I'm done with Landry Jones. Finito!

23. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    . :shrug: :this!:

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I second that motion Bravo!!!

25. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I've been thinking about the constant comparison to Batch, so just for ****s and giggles:

2012 Charlie Batch
    Won 1, Lost 1
    45/70 comp
    475 yds
    1 TD
    4 INT

2015 Landry Jones
    Won 1, Lost 1
    32/55
    513 yds
    3 TD
    4 INT

It's not a particularly scientific comparison - Batch was 38 in 2012, for one (!); different receivers etc. etc. - but I wouldn't say we were looking at a massive difference in performance here from either as a back up.

(I just chose 2012 as it had the same number of games started, but barring 2006 when Batch had 5 TDs and 0 INT, his stats are fairly similar every year he was here).

In the end, the only stat that really matters is the W/L. In 8 years, Batch went 6-3 as a starter here. I think that kind of differential is what you would pretty much hope for from a back up.

• Like Like x 1