1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Breakdown of Qb play vs Saints

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Love watching break downs. Kenny stepped up in this game. And that last play he shows where he didn't lead Pickens was a first. So he gets a pass on that.

I think Kenny will show us what he is, in 3-4 more games. So the only thing that would have him better is the OC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    I watch this breakdown every week… also comments that wrs arent getting separation. You can also agree they arent by watching these game breakdowns.
    Kenny has to lead them or throw into a tight window most of the time. Thoughts?

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I like KP, but even on the 2nd play they show...if He just steps up instead of bailing out of the pocket He gets a guy wide open. He's Young as far as NFL experience.....So Hopefully He learns this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    It’s pretty unreal how little separation there seems to be. Every throw has to be perfect.

Meanwhile you watch other games and see QBs throw behind WRs, or underthrow deep routes and they’re still getting completions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Stat line notwithstanding, Kenny Pickett is the real deal. Sure he’s made some mistakes common to most rookies, but he’s also made some throws that ought to convince anyone that he has NFL level arm talent. He needs to capitalize more in the red zone for sure but there’s been a handful of great throws that would have been TDs had the receiver made the play. The drop by Najee on Sunday is one and I can remember another where DJ didn’t get both feet down in bounds. The receivers have to help Pickett in those crucial moments. How many times have we seen the receiver allow the ball to bounce off his hands for an INT, not get their feet down in bounds, drop the ball on a perfect pass, or not run a QB friendly route? I think the receiver play this year has been sloppy and the OC has been horrendous. I’m not completely absolving Pickett, he needs to elevate his quality of play too, especially in the red zone, but you’ve got to get beyond his stat line to make a determination about his overall quality of play.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Maybe it’s because we run such a basic offensive system that the defense knows where the receivers are going most of the time?

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually in the last game the Saints DBs lined up right in the face of our receivers having no fear that we will go deep or to the middle of the field

I watched it over and over

On the other hand we lined up 5-10 yards off

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i hear this all of the time in Pittsburgh.

it must be true with most teams. the old adage 'you have to throw the guy open' really does apply. Pickett does not yet feel comfortable with receivers or their routes, this is all part of the growing pains

• Like Like x 1
  10. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    The past game was simultaneously Kenny's best and worst game. A true tale of two halves of football.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I thought this at first, but then you see Dan Moore is getting beat and if KP steps up, he's stepping into a sack.
    Then I thought again....he could've stepped up, taken the hit, and delivered a ball to the corner for Pickens....the kind of plays that he made in the first few games he played in that endeared him to everyone.
    I have to wonder if the shots he's taken have affected his confidence?
    Almost like, welcome to the NFL where guys are bigger, hit harder, and hurt more.

• Like Like x 3
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Charles Dickens

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It shows you what they think of Pickett and the Steelers, somehow the Saints were favored over the Steelers, even with them coming off of a short week and dealing with many injuries.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    the first play there was so much cushion it was unbelievable. its as though defender knew receiver was running deep. at 2:56 again there is tons of cushion. I believe on that play the WR is Freirmuth

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I should have said up,and towards the right, but Yes I agree with You on the hits for sure

16. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I think the team lacks speed in the WR dept.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    Miami has incredible speed with Tyreek Hill 4.2-something and Jaylen Waddle 4.3-something. Tua just has to get the ball to them and they can be long gone.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And Yet He should have thrown at least 4 ints.....possibly 5 when He played our broken down D .....even without Watt.:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Well we drafted a speed guy that unfortunately lost his season due to injury. Austin at 4.32, Pickens ran a 4.47 and Diontae ran a 4.53. Its not like we have a bunch of Kelvin Benjamin's running around. When we had Ward, Holmes, and Randle El, we had a very strong WR room and they were 4.55, 4.45, and 4.54 respectively. The Young Money crew was Wallace (4.33), Sanders (4.41) and Brown (4.47). A whole tenth of a second between the two units of three (.036 per player). We have enough speed, we just haven't schemed enough guys open, we haven't run the ball well enough consistently to help open up the passing game, and we have a rookie QB that is learning the NFL game. Our offense will improve. It looked good last week, so hopefully we can continue that trend.

• Like Like x 2
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with most of this, but why do people keep saying Brown ran a 4.47????.
    He never ran that ...at the combine it was 4.56. That's the only time that matters.

21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Its because that's the first thing that pops up when you google "Antonio Brown 40 time". I'm assuming its pulling a pro day 40 time. Either way it doesn't matter much what he ran at the combine or otherwise. He was fast enough to be both a deep threat and a threat to score in the open field.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ok....I've been wondering Why people say that. :thumbs_up:
    I agree that's plenty of speed. It why when people say We don't have enough speed at WR.....I don't believe that's it....