1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Jenkins? (FSU, DE/OLB, Broken Foot)

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by HugeSnack, Sep 4, 2012.

1. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Any of you Floridians out there follow this guy?

I just saw that he's a DE and out for his senior season with a broken foot. I got curious and started poking around, and sure enough he's the right size to convert to OLB in a 3-4, and many people have him pegged to do exactly that. From what I've read he's a good pass rusher with a quick first step and a good amount of moves, he's got a high motor, which is extremely important to me when making a pick on a guy who has missed time or a guy going through a position change, and this is both. He has a little experience standing up and even dropping into coverage, and does alright with that. He's a good athlete (runs in the 4.6s according to one source) and has Woodley size on him, plus an inch in height. 6'3", 265 lbs.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013bjenkins.php

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2865

Here's where it gets interesting. Going into his senior season, he was seen as a borderline 1st/2nd round pick. But now he'll miss the whole thing with a broken foot. Assuming he returns healthy and enters the draft, that's got to hurt his stock. Possibly by a whole round, possibly more. I'm one of those people that likes what we have in Worilds and Carter and don't want to spend a high draft pick on OLB if we can help it. I'd rather fix ILB, find a safety, maybe a cornerback... Can anyone remember the last time we spent a 1st rounder on an OLB? Not in my lifetime. We haven't needed to. We get the Gildons and Porters and Lloyds and Woodleys and Harrisons later in the draft, or after the draft. I like what I've seen from Carter, I just think he needs another year to marinate. I like what I've seen from Worilds, I just think he needs to get his ass on the field. If we're going to draft someone new, this might be an interesting way to go. Jenkins isn't perfect, but I'm wondering if we can land him in the 3rd round or later. Guys who miss seasons sometimes fall all the way out of the draft (Weslye Saunders). Jenkins could be a steal.