1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Boykin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  2. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    What's the deal with him and Tomlin? Did he try to sleep with his wife or something? Why trade for him if he had no intentions of playing him?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually, it could be that Tomlin and the coaches never wanted him. Don't forget, Colbert is the GM and although the front office and the coaches usually work well together for the Steelers, its possible there was a disconnect on this one.

An article I was reading brought that possibility to light. Colbert can make whatever moves he wants but doesnt mean Tomlin has to play them, thats his call.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    At this point Boykin might be decent depth for us. If the price were right he'd be a good signing, but he would have to go into it knowing that he's probably going to be the back up nickel CB. Between Gay and Golson, the slot spot is pretty well held down. Cockrell is really our only other outside guy. We could throw Boykin out there in a pinch too I guess, but it's pretty clear that the staff feels like he's a slot CB only.

Gay, Cockrell and Golson as our starters. Boykin and a draft pick as back ups. Grant possibly at the final CB or he could make the move to FS. I wouldn't spend more than a couple mil on him on a one year deal, but if he's back it would be nice to have another guy that knows the system. That way we won't have to rely so heavily on young players (Golson and draft pick) to hold the secondary down.

5. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    So the left hand doesn't wanna work with the right hand ? What's up wit dat? Sorry I don't get that.
    :shrug:

6. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Like everyone else, I like Boykin. I think. There's obviously something the coaches don't love about him.

Gay, Cockrell, Boykin, High Pick should be a decent group. Blake was a dumpster fire. I think Allen is gone and I don't really like Golson or Grant much but hopefully they'll surprise.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not uncommon, thats why some coaches want to be the GM too, they hate the moves the front office makes and the payers they stick them with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    well when the owner says fix the secondary, these two better get on the same page or neither will have a job. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    Good point, never thought about it like that.:thumbs_up:

10. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The problem is we don't know what Boykin looks like playing outside. He is not better than Gay in the nickel so really whoever our 3rd corner is needs to play outside. I wonder is golson is the answer there as I see him more of a nickel also.

11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    All I know is the dude played well when given the opportunity. Not a world beater and not burned toast. Wouldn't mind him being here

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Come on back Boykin!

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Obviously none of us know the context that Tomlin may have said that in, but it sounds quite similar to what Ozzie Newsome has done at Baltimore: test the market, see what you're worth - so then you don't think we're ripping you off with what we offered you, and you feel valued as a player.

I'm not saying that's what Tomlin has done (after all, not playing a guy doesn't scream 'valuing him as a player'), but just to point out it's not unheard of. And in Newsome's case, was seen by many as a good way of managing players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It's not unusual for the Steelers to tell a player they may want to test the market. This typically happens when the player thinks his market value is higher than what the team thinks. If he gets an offer at a value the team thinks is fair and he wants to come back both sides are happy. If he gets more then he can move on and no feelings hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It seems to me that Boykin has a problem with being thought of as a Nickle CB only . He had problems with the staff in Philly and I bet he had some here to. I hope he gets a chance to prove the Coaches wrong ,he is our 2nd. best CB at this time ...

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Considering he's not even on the team, he's not second best at anything.

17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well true ,but if he signs I would consider him our 2nd. best .

18. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    But he's still first in hearts of some posters on this board ;)

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You can amplify that as "Not playing a guy while the one you are playing is hurt and is hurting the team!"

All the reports around the time had Tomlin being the guy that wanted him. Buyers remorse after seeing him practice?

However he practiced, he was definitely better on game day, so that doesn't add up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Boykin played like 30-40% of snaps on the year?

None for the first half of the season and then tons after Seattle. Russ torched the D made them force change.

I would assume Boykin would play a lot better in year 2 in the same defense. Didn't even get a year in.

Mitchell played way better in year 2.

I don't expect Boykin back and don't really care. Just happy Blake is go e for now.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Usually this kind of man love is reserved for back up quarterbacks.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think there's another aspect to the situation.
    and 4th string WRs who block and play special teams....

• Like Like x 1
  23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Well for all the fourth string faults, I guess popping on drug tests aren't one of them. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree. We need to resign Boykin if the money is right. That will prevent a rookie from starting immediately and we don't know what Golson is going to bring to the table. So, it could be Gay, Cockrell and Boykin. Golson, Grant and a draft pick can be brought up based on their performance in OTAs, camp and preseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Seldom does a coach slash GM ever work out, the most recent example is chip kelly, a head coach just doesn't have the time to locate players ,sign them, and keep a handle on the cap at the same time, it just almost never works out and thats why you dont see many coaches slash GM in superbowls......

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.