1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Aiyuk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Aug 5, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I don't think the steelers will be in position to draft a true franchise QB,first round pick or not....Maybe Fields will be our future too

2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Over the Cap has them 39 million over the cap for 25. There will be (or should be) a rise in the cap and most of those salaries listed are not guaranteed, so likely a lot of movement can be made. This years WR tag was 21 million and that will go up. Could they tag, sure, but it can backfire. They are driving hard for a 1st and player(s), next year if you try to tag and trade some the value in draft picks could drop. It really depends, but this can really bring down a locker room the longer it goes on.

3. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    i know there are some new pieces in place this year, but the offensive line actually came together and performed quite adequately to finish the season.. they were no longer a liability like earlier in the season. putting Jones in made a huge difference, and getting some competent QB play from Rudolph helped as well.

whatever we get out of our QBs, it will be an upgrade from last year.. we made the playoffs with that QB room last year, so i'm looking forward to seeing what our new QBs can do this season. no matter what, it will be an improvement.

WR is my main concern. i don't like the group at all. it seems like the Steelers brass feels the same way, given their consistent pursuit of BA. Pickens is unproven as a #1, and a loose cannon mentally. not only is he going to slide into the clear #1 role, but he's going to do it with nobody to take the attention away from him in coverage. Roman Wilson has never taken a snap in the NFL and is already hurt.. it's impossible to say if he'll be able to slide right into the #2 role and perform well enough to take some heat off Pickens. Austin and the rest of the group are pretty much who they are at this point. we have Muth, but he cannot be relied on to stay healthy. so yeah, WR is a big concern. we don't have a Mahomes or Brady at QB who can make just about any group of WRs look good. our QBs are going to need some help.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
  5. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I mean, he wants to be a Steeler. It's been said multiple times now by reputable sources. He even talks about it with RC:

https://x.com/TheStandard412/status/1820984691098357969

It's awesome, and the Steelers need to make it happen (within reason, of course).

• Like Like x 1
  6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It definitely feels like Aiyuk is using all of his leverage to get himself here, which is pretty cool as a Steelers fan. The 49ers don't HAVE to trade him, but I do think they want some return for a player that they know won't be there long term. Just a waiting game at this time.

7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    If they are gonna make the damn trade, hurry up and make it.. and let's move on.. Getting tired of checking my phone for updstes...lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    That may or may not be true but you definitely can't be in a position to draft a QB first round if you don't have the pick.

9. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
  11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i am holding at 50/50 that a deal will get done.

been said 100 times, Pickens is a LOOSE CANNON with maybe NO FUTURE here.

12. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Nice. Part of stealthy negotiation is knowing how things will likely play out and making sure the other party knows not to get greedy. And that greed will cost you if you aren’t careful.

13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

khan ain't no brain dead Colbert, that is for sure

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

patience is a virtue, DanielSon....

he who blinks first ..... loses

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I still would prefer a less expensive WR both monetarily and trade wise but it sounds like The Steelers might be offering a 2nd and 3rd round picks in next years draft and possibly a mid rd pick in 2026. I can at least be on board with that. I really don’t want to see us trade away any players. I think we Daniels this year and I definitely don’t want to lose Pickens or Friermuth. Regarding Pickens future you certainly seem to wish to see him go so if we do trade for Aiyuk your wish will be fulfilled because there is no way he stays here next year. Hopefully he balls out and we can trade him next year to recoup the loss of one of our picks we gave up. At the end of the day I am still a little perplexed as this seems like a swap essentially of Pickens for Aiyuk. Sure we may have them both on the team for a year but then were going to be in the same position next year of needing to add a wr again. I still honestly feel like Pickens has the higher ceiling between the two.

16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That many picks would normally be hard for me, even for someone like Aiyuk, but you are on to something. The team cannot/will not put out the kind of contract GP wants (if he balls out) with Aiyuk already signed. He could easily get that 3rd back, perhaps the second if he balls out.

17. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    The thing is even if we are confident with Russ or Fields going into next season we will more than likely need to draft a DT in the first round. Possibly need to draft a WR and RB early as well. We would need to get a pick or two back next year to accomplish this.

18. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Damn, I just blinked. Alright, see you in 2025. I failed.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t like the current WR market in terms of % of cap that top WRs are getting. Add in trading quality players plus draft pick compensation, and I’m even less enthused. If this materializes I will become a huge Aiyuk fan and will hope he puts us over the top, but I’d rather play out 2024 with what we have and reassess next year.

Aiyuk is a really, really good WR, but I don’t think he’s worth mortgaging the franchise the way that trade and dollar compensation is being discussed. But, I don’t think ANY WR is worth that. Just my opinion, and it’s certainly different from the opinions of many experts in NFL front offices given trends.

• Like Like x 1
  20. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I take this a tier-below a grain of salt, but....

21. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Hall Monitor needed! Where is the freakin' hall monitor?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    While I’m not 100% sold on Aiyuk being the missing piece that gets us over the top, I don’t recall the last time a superstar player wanted to play for the Steelers so badly. Let’s hope this is a sign of things to come

• Like Like x 2
  23. TomlinW/O#7

TomlinW/O#7 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2022
    I would enjoy being wrong, absolutely. I think it seems a little desperate considering all the unknowns. I do feel a little better about A. Smith calling this offense. Although, watching him have entire games with the Falcons last year that would not feature the best offensive player they had (B. Robinson) mystified me.
    I like Aiyuk for sure, but I think his performance is an indication of the sums of the whole in terms of the situation and team he currently on. Simply put, Brock Purdy is for real and is immeasurably better than either of the QBs the Steelers have. Deebo is better than the Steelers WR2, by quite a bit. CMC is light years better than any RB on the Steelers roster. Kittle is significantly better than Muth. Kyle is a better OC than A.Smith imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I disagree. Aiyuk's route running gets himself open. He is better at YAC than Johnson was. He is a player that will make the offense better. You want players that puts the defense back on its heels. It sounds like the Steelers d-line is going to have issues stopping the run, so the team better have an offense that will score points.

• Like Like x 1
  25. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Back ally?